Intake manifold porting pictures... your thoughts please

Bad Company

Established Member
20 psi and 6500 rpm's on the street in a 1200hp car....lol....not happening BC...you have been out of the game to long...lol...I don't even THINK of stabbing the throttle our putting my car in boost on the street.....warm rotors are the least of your worries if your turning 6500 rpms on the street in my car...lol....but thanks for letting me know its a bad idea.
LOL

So how do you drive this thing on the street? Oh like Granny going to the supermarket?

How do you slow the 4.2L SC down enough to keep boost below 18 psi? I already gave you the math on the slowest pulley combo. The only way you can drive it on the street is never get in the throttle. If you have a built motor 6500 RPM is slow. What do you have your rev limiter set at for street use? 5000RPM? How do you limit boost with a pulley and SC combo that is moving large volumes of air no matter how slow you turn the engine? If the engine can't eat the air, the boost goes up if the bypass valve is closed. You have no say in that matter once you tip into the throttle and the bypass valve shuts. Yeah, I've been out of the game too long. But at least I'm not living in a dream world.........LOL

jazz05

Established Member
As long as I am sticking my nose in here and before i continue, I want to thank you for your timing chain thread, very concise info there. As for your math on the bypass you forgot to take into account that the bypass is only 1 11/16" you dont bypass blower volume only releive back presssure on manifold, I would love to do 1/100th of the data logging Shawn does, he has great data, but until one of his GT500's goes out and dominates an event we wont know what the real value of this work is.

Bad Company

Established Member
I dont disagree bc, but exposing the whole core and removing that back plate, which acts as a huge aluminum heat sink has a lot of theoretical benefit, I have spent some time talking to Shawn as well over the years, wish I had texas size oil money but i have to live in the real world

Last edited:

jazz05

Established Member
Oh ya I can vouch for those 5 minute phone calls, lol, I would never question Shawns data, and i absolutely agree about the potential damage, I have a steig manifold and hope to use one of Shawns ideas to get the best of both worlds but we will see, in the mean time I have no reservations driving it on the street, ask Shawn how his boost by gear wastegate setup worked out on that GT500? have been dying to find out but work and fam first

Bad Company

Established Member
As long as I am sticking my nose in here and before i continue, I want to thank you for your timing chain thread, very concise info there. As for your math on the bypass you forgot to take into account that the bypass is only 1 11/16" you dont bypass blower volume only releive back presssure on manifold, I would love to do 1/100th of the data logging Shawn does, he has great data, but until one of his GT500's goes out and dominates an event we wont know what the real value of this work is.

Last edited:

Bad Company

Established Member
Oh ya I can vouch for those 5 minute phone calls, lol, I would never question Shawns data, and i absolutely agree about the potential damage, I have a steig manifold and hope to use one of Shawns ideas to get the best of both worlds but we will see, in the mean time I have no reservations driving it on the street, ask Shawn how his boost by gear wastegate setup worked out on that GT500? have been dying to find out but work and fam first

Last edited:

jazz05

Established Member
Ya I have the quotes to prove it haha, the car im curious about was supercharged with a wastegate instead of bypass valve, i know it ran but never heard how it worked, maybe they changed it to turbo afterwards?

Bad Company

Established Member
Ya I have the quotes to prove it haha, the car im curious about was supercharged with a wastegate instead of bypass valve, i know it ran but never heard how it worked, maybe they changed it to turbo afterwards?

Last edited:

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
So how do you drive this thing on the street? Oh like Granny going to the supermarket?

How do you slow the 4.2L SC down enough to keep boost below 18 psi? I already gave you the math on the slowest pulley combo. The only way you can drive it on the street is never get in the throttle. If you have a built motor 6500 RPM is slow. What do you have your rev limiter set at for street use? 5000RPM? How do you limit boost with a pulley and SC combo that is moving large volumes of air no matter how slow you turn the engine? If the engine can't eat the air, the boost goes up if the bypass valve is closed. You have no say in that matter once you tip into the throttle and the bypass valve shuts. Yeah, I've been out of the game too long. But at least I'm not living in a dream world.........LOL[/QUOTE]

LOL....sometimes you make a lot of sense and other times you are way out there......how do I keep the boost below 18psi on the street....I don't mash the throttle...simple as that...my rev limiter is set at 7500 all the time...I also run a 3.5 upper with a 10% lower which is close to 28psi....unlike you I have some self control on the street and avoid banging my motor off of the limiter because of instant tire spin in any gear but fourth on the street....LOL...I have over a 1000 passes and 16000 street miles on my factory block so when it comes to seat time in a high horsepower GT 500 I'm living in the real world....you on the other hand haven't had yours on the road in years...you make a lot of comments that show you have know idea how to drive a 1000+HP GT 500 on the street....the only gear I could even think of getting up to 6500RPM's in is 4th.....your the math wiz so you do the math...lol....30" rear tires, 3.73 gears, and a .75 4th gear....what is that about 180...LOL...so yah call me a granny...

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
Little hard for me to tell on this little cell phone screen, but it looks like they are using their tooling marks as the ruff surface in the head correct?

Last edited:

Beercules

Established Member
Keep it civil guys, the broken engine episode is for another time and place and isn't informative here. Serickson1, if you couldn't tell... people are ignoring you, hoping you'll run out of steam.

What is the dimple between the intake/ exhaust valve?

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
All good....reread post #30....just letting you guys know from experience its OK to run the modified intake on the street.. civil post and on topic..

Bad Company

Established Member

How do you slow the 4.2L SC down enough to keep boost below 18 psi? I already gave you the math on the slowest pulley combo. The only way you can drive it on the street is never get in the throttle. If you have a built motor 6500 RPM is slow. What do you have your rev limiter set at for street use? 5000RPM? How do you limit boost with a pulley and SC combo that is moving large volumes of air no matter how slow you turn the engine? If the engine can't eat the air, the boost goes up if the bypass valve is closed. You have no say in that matter once you tip into the throttle and the bypass valve shuts. Yeah, I've been out of the game too long. But at least I'm not living in a dream world.........LOL

LOL....sometimes you make a lot of sense and other times you are way out there......how do I keep the boost below 18psi on the street....I don't mash the throttle...simple as that...my rev limiter is set at 7500 all the time...I also run a 3.5 upper with a 10% lower which is close to 28psi....unlike you I have some self control on the street and avoid banging my motor off of the limiter because of instant tire spin in any gear but fourth on the street....LOL...I have over a 1000 passes and 16000 street miles on my factory block so when it comes to seat time in a high horsepower GT 500 I'm living in the real world....you on the other hand haven't had yours on the road in years...you make a lot of comments that show you have know idea how to drive a 1000+HP GT 500 on the street....the only gear I could even think of getting up to 6500RPM's in is 4th.....your the math wiz so you do the math...lol....30" rear tires, 3.73 gears, and a .75 4th gear....what is that about 180...LOL...so yah call me a granny...[/QUOTE]
180 mph on the street......... that is pure genius at work. For the math geek that is traveling at the rate of 264 feet in one second. Lets break that down a little lit with a reaction time of 0.65 seconds which is fast by most peoples standards. That is a 172 feet traveled at 180 mph in 0.65 of a second. Pure genius. Now lets realize another aspect of this pure genius. I've given you a reaction time of 172 feet, but I haven't given you the time that it takes you to perceive the threat is in front of you. You know that thing know as comprehension. How long is it going to take you to see the threat and your brain to perceive it as a threat, before your brain comprehends the threat and sends the signals to your muscles to react.

What is really bad is poor Granny. She riding along and she doesn't perceive the fact you're traveling 264 feet a second and she does something to obstruct your intend path of travel. She just died, heck both of you just died.

I've traveled many miles in my lifetime. With that I've watched a few people die in accidents. One of which was dying as I helped the Para-medics remove his clothing to air lift him to the closest trama center. His reason for dying was he couldn't react fast enough to avoid hitting the deer that ran out in front of him while riding a motorcycle. He was a police officer that was a trained motorcycle officer. He was traveling at the speed of 55 mph, he saw the threat and just got on the brakes before impact, but unfortunately he didn't scrub off enough speed to save his own life.

You were never in my car with me when the engine failed, but you sure enjoy calling me a lair about that engine failure on this forum every chance you get.

Bad Company

Established Member
Keep it civil guys, the broken engine episode is for another time and place and isn't informative here. Serickson1, if you couldn't tell... people are ignoring you, hoping you'll run out of steam.

What is the dimple between the intake/ exhaust valve?

Last edited:

Blu13gt

Established Member
I have a question here, and some comments. If this SC kit is built for that much power and its creating that much heat, why would you want to recirculate hotter than ambient air back into the SC? I realize that these cars use a MAF stock which requires the air to be recirculated for fuel mapping purposes, but I would think that at that kind of power it would be better to run SD so that there is no issue with going rich when you let off the throttle from dumping previously metered air. If your outside temp is 100 Deg and your heating that air to 300-400 deg it would be much better to continue pulling in 100 deg air rather than recirculating air that was only cooled to 130-150 deg. Just my thinking here. If there is more than the MAF air metering issue then I would love to know what it is. Not arguing. Just asking questions. I have done a decent amount of tuning on turbo applications and this is how I personally dealt with the issues related to off throttle fuel enrichment from using a MAF system. I know nothing about the tuning of these cars so if my past experience is completely irelevant or counter to the best way to tune these cars I can deal with that.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'm getting private messages from a number of members that both have and have not posted in this thread. It is obvious to everyone that some of you don't agree with each other and that is perfectly fine. The incessant jabs at one another accomplishes less than zero and only encourages anyone looking for useful information to seek it elsewhere. Elevate the discourse gentleman and stick to the tech.

For those seeking "safe space" refuge I suggest you seek it elsewhere.

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
LOL....sometimes you make a lot of sense and other times you are way out there......how do I keep the boost below 18psi on the street....I don't mash the throttle...simple as that...my rev limiter is set at 7500 all the time...I also run a 3.5 upper with a 10% lower which is close to 28psi....unlike you I have some self control on the street and avoid banging my motor off of the limiter because of instant tire spin in any gear but fourth on the street....LOL...I have over a 1000 passes and 16000 street miles on my factory block so when it comes to seat time in a high horsepower GT 500 I'm living in the real world....you on the other hand haven't had yours on the road in years...you make a lot of comments that show you have know idea how to drive a 1000+HP GT 500 on the street....the only gear I could even think of getting up to 6500RPM's in is 4th.....your the math wiz so you do the math...lol....30" rear tires, 3.73 gears, and a .75 4th gear....what is that about 180...LOL...so yah call me a granny...
180 mph on the street......... that is pure genius at work. For the math geek that is traveling at the rate of 264 feet in one second. Lets break that down a little lit with a reaction time of 0.65 seconds which is fast by most peoples standards. That is a 172 feet traveled at 180 mph in 0.65 of a second. Pure genius. Now lets realize another aspect of this pure genius. I've given you a reaction time of 172 feet, but I haven't given you the time that it takes you to perceive the threat is in front of you. You know that thing know as comprehension. How long is it going to take you to see the threat and your brain to perceive it as a threat, before your brain comprehends the threat and sends the signals to your muscles to react.

What is really bad is poor Granny. She riding along and she doesn't perceive the fact you're traveling 264 feet a second and she does something to obstruct your intend path of travel. She just died, heck both of you just died.

I've traveled many miles in my lifetime. With that I've watched a few people die in accidents. One of which was dying as I helped the Para-medics remove his clothing to air lift him to the closest trama center. His reason for dying was he couldn't react fast enough to avoid hitting the deer that ran out in front of him while riding a motorcycle. He was a police officer that was a trained motorcycle officer. He was traveling at the speed of 55 mph, he saw the threat and just got on the brakes before impact, but unfortunately he didn't scrub off enough speed to save his own life.

You were never in my car with me when the engine failed, but you sure enjoy calling me a lair about that engine failure on this forum every chance you get.[/QUOTE]

Just an FYI....you misunderstood....this is exactly why I drive around on the street like a granny and don't put the car in boost....didn't want anybody thinking I drive my car 180mph on the street....

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
I have a question here, and some comments. If this SC kit is built for that much power and its creating that much heat, why would you want to recirculate hotter than ambient air back into the SC? I realize that these cars use a MAF stock which requires the air to be recirculated for fuel mapping purposes, but I would think that at that kind of power it would be better to run SD so that there is no issue with going rich when you let off the throttle from dumping previously metered air. If your outside temp is 100 Deg and your heating that air to 300-400 deg it would be much better to continue pulling in 100 deg air rather than recirculating air that was only cooled to 130-150 deg. Just my thinking here. If there is more than the MAF air metering issue then I would love to know what it is. Not arguing. Just asking questions. I have done a decent amount of tuning on turbo applications and this is how I personally dealt with the issues related to off throttle fuel enrichment from using a MAF system. I know nothing about the tuning of these cars so if my past experience is completely irelevant or counter to the best way to tune these cars I can deal with that.

I have several datalogs where I have pedaled the car multiple times in the 1/4 mile without having the IAT2's spike...not sure if that answers your question... but I did snap the throttle off and on pretty quickly and then back in it at WOT without any issues in air temp or A/F....

Users who are viewing this thread