Insurance ?

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
So it goes like this.....I am 27 and from Massachusetts, with a perfect driving record <knocking on wood>. In Mass that means I'm a step 9. Anyway it cost ~960 per year to insure my 01 Lightning. When I got my Cobra I figured it would go up but I get my new policy the other day and my payment is now ~1900 per year. Thats almost a thousand dollar increase, WTF. Insurance is regulated in Mass so shopping around doesn't help. In the cars defense I can almost understand where the insurance company is coming from, the thing is a major liability. Just venting. I am probably going to get my windows etched and AAA which should help a little. Did anyone else see a sharp increase in insurance from their last car to their Cobra?

TPOC

Established Member
Not too sharp, but it definitely went up...1623/year

I live in a suburb outside of Dallas, in a different county, so my rates are lower. If I lived in Dallas, or in Dallas county, I would be paying what you are paying or higher.

Perfect record as well. I suppose it just depends on where you live. My insurance guy said I am in the same category as a Z06, can't remember what he called the category, but I don't remember him calling it 'step 9'.

coleman

Established Member
my insurance company w/o my knowledge put me as primary on our yukon and my wife as primary on the cobra -- yeah, right!
i hope that doesn't come to haunt me later -- but i didn't do it. they did!

Gumball

Established Member
I was a little curious so I did a rate for you if you lived in my town. My "preferred" rate for you at 27, single, and this being your only car was $2200/yr. Let me say before people start flaming, that my preferred rate, in my town, is better than 99.5% of the other companies out there.

Mass is by far, the single most screwed up state to buy insurance in...bar none. I know, I had my first post-college car (89 LX 5.0) insured there for 3 years. Although it's cool for you to hear what others are paying, don't let it get you down. You obviously know the deal already. Think of it as a "cost of doing business". At least you got yours before it snows!!

cobrablue

Established Member
in new jersey i pay more for my 03 cobra than i do for my 02 vette. the reason being the mustang has a worse track record in the accident department. statistically there are alot more mustangs cracking up than there are vettes. lets face it there are a hell of a lot more stangs on the road than vettes.also take into consideration that the average vette owner is nearing his 40s where as the average mustang owners are teenagers and young adults. so in essence your paying for the stigma placed on the car because of its track record.

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
I am paying less for the Cobra than I did for my previous car, '97 Maxima. The big change was going from Nationwide to Progressive. I pay about $1100 per year. 35 yo, single, clean record.

RJTD34

Established Member
Insurance?

Traded an S2000 for the 03 Cobra without checking on the insurance. Premium went up $400 every six months. Nationwide agent said that the "Mustang" is a cost class "26" and S2000 was a "16". Go figure. :bash:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I traded in a 2001 Honda Accord EXV6. My insurance went from 832/year to 748/year. However, my wife's 2002 Honda Civic EX also changed when the policy was updated and went from 625/year to 694/year. So basically my insurance stayed the same.

RonL55SVT

Established Member
I live in Md. and have a perfect record,cost is $869 every six months for my 03 Cobra. My 98 Cobra cost $680 every six months. A lot of bucks:cuss: Ron

Black 03 Cobra awaiting the Bassani exhaust

tammy

Established Member
GA Husband 35 main driver on the Cobra =587 6 mths Me 33 main driver on the MDX=473. I really did'nt think it was terrible bad. We both have prefect records. I may do some checking but right now we are with geico and are happy with it.

MongoCobra

Established Member
Ready for this:

NY- Long Island 35, married, 3 kids, no tickets
Cobra is $1,265/6 months with Geico
who said you have to pay to play? shoot 'em

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by Gumball

Mass is by far, the single most screwed up state to buy insurance in...bar none. !!

I hate to argue with this one, but apparently you have never been insured in the state of Louisiana. I am not going to say what I pay, but it is twice as some of you.

My fiance and I are potentially relocating to the northeast and I did some checking:
NYC, just as bad as NO
Philly, would reduce it by half
Boston, would reduce my insurance by 75% of what it is here.
I use to live in Boca Raton, Fl and it was 66% less than now.

You see, in Louisiana, we have so many uninsured drivers. You get hit and you are F$$$ed.

I am 28 with a clean driving record (knock on wood) and engaged (which for some reson lowers the rate).

:beer:

1IDSPTTR

Established Member
NC costs

I was paying ~$125 a month for the '99. It's jumped to $150 a month with the '03. I'm 40 and at this point, my record's clean. I also have to carry top of the line insurance to be eligible for an umbrella policy.
Allan

ho779

Established Member
Originally posted by 03ShadowCobra
So it goes like this.....I am 27 and from Massachusetts, with a perfect driving record <knocking on wood>. In Mass that means I'm a step 9. Anyway it cost ~960 per year to insure my 01 Lightning. When I got my Cobra I figured it would go up but I get my new policy the other day and my payment is now ~1900 per year. Thats almost a thousand dollar increase, WTF. Insurance is regulated in Mass so shopping around doesn't help. In the cars defense I can almost understand where the insurance company is coming from, the thing is a major liability. Just venting. I am probably going to get my windows etched and AAA which should help a little. Did anyone else see a sharp increase in insurance from their last car to their Cobra?

welcome to mass brotha, i'm in the same boat...you can thank all the bs insurance claims for the high prices.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I'm 22 and I live in MA with far from a perfect driving record (step 20) and I pay 3300/year. My insurance will drop significantly next month when I become a 6+ year driver.

I have my policy through AAA and I think having a AAA membership saved me 6%.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Hey All,

I'm 32, married, CA bay area, semi-clean record (no tickets, no accidents, 1 stolen vehicle), w/ Allstate. My '93 was ~$350/6mo ($700/yr). Asked what my '03 'Vert would be when it arrives: ~$535/6mo ($1070/yr). Was told its cuz of SC, and vert, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread