Insurance company hassling me about my car parts

95snake03

Established Member
Well to make a long story short. I burned up the kitchen in my apartment. It set off the sprinkler system which dumped an ungodly amount of water all over the apartment. I had many of my mustang parts lying around. Many of which got rusted from the moisture. One part in particular were custom turbo headers I had made recently. They are mild steel so didnt take much to get all rusty inside and out. The insurance company says my plan covers all my personal belongings. But they dont want to pay to have my headers replaced. They want to send the headers to some unknown company to "have the rust knocked off and oiled up". I dont know about anyone else but noone is going to be touching my parts but me, especially not some insurance company jerk offs. I want to either have them replaced completely, or have them sent to jet-hot to bead blast and coat the insides and out. Yea they were mild steel and likely to rust anyways if not coated, but before this incident they had no rust and were perfect. I really just want them restored to the condition they were in before. Whether that takes replacing them totally or having them blasted and coated. I dont trust this insurance company with my parts. Theyll likely come back all dinged up from people who dont appreciate the quality or even more likely dont even know what it is. Im sure ill have issues convincing them of anything. What should I tell them? Should I just let it go and keep the rusted headers, then pay out of pocket to have the rust removed later and for coating?

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
Eh. I'd let them do it and send them out later to have them Jet-Hot coated. Just make sure you document condition when they left and condition when they got home. BUT this is my opinion, I could be wrong.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Get a copy of your policy and read it to see what you can or can't do as far as the rusted parts. You could very well have to adhere to the conditions of your policy if it doesn't provide for replacement or you doing your own repairs.

Why not ask for the name of the company they would have working on your headers and find out more about them and their services. Just a thought.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
What did you spend on the headers if you don't mind me asking? Are we talking $1000+?

I understand wanting to keep them in as good of shape as possible, but even if they get a little dinged, a Jet Hot coating should cover up most of the damage, right?

oldmodman

Established Member
Be careful about letting some random sandblaster near them. It can actually work harden the steel and cause it to crack while in use.
JetHot uses a chemical dip to clean and etch the surface before application of their titanium/ceramic coating.

95snake03

Established Member
What did you spend on the headers if you don't mind me asking? Are we talking $1000+?

I understand wanting to keep them in as good of shape as possible, but even if they get a little dinged, a Jet Hot coating should cover up most of the damage, right?

yes the headers were over $1000

95snake03

Established Member
Be careful about letting some random sandblaster near them. It can actually work harden the steel and cause it to crack while in use.
JetHot uses a chemical dip to clean and etch the surface before application of their titanium/ceramic coating.

Im going to talk alot more with them about it tomorrow. I did not know that blasting could weaken the steel. I want to send them to Jet Hot because i know theyll do the work right. I just dont want to be bullied by some insurance company into getting some cheap work done and possibly ruining my new headers

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Pics of rusted headers? They were bound to rust anyway.

If your concern is quality of work, find a shop that will remove the rust in a fashion that is acceptable to you.
Not saying you are, but you sound like you're just trying to save yourself the cost of coating since the insurance is now involved. They were not coated prior, why would they be coated after?

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
You want the insurance company to pay for the headers to have custom work applied to them? I'm not sure I understand...

Wicked81

Established Member
i think he is trying to either get his custom headers replaced (which would be tough) or fixed using jet hot. (which would be less money i would think.

95snake03

Established Member
I really just want the rust gone, but in order to do that theyre going to need to strip them. i would like to have them coated to prevent further rust whether the insurance pays for that or not. if coating is considered custom work then i would understand if i had to pay for that part of it. i just dont want to pay for the rust to be removed. i dont know of any places in panama city that does work like this on custom parts. Jet Hot is a well known company with a good reputation so id like to send them there. May as well have them coated while theyre at it

blkGT500nCA

Established Member

Ceramic coating is very thin and will not cover any damage to the underlying metal.

I don't know JetHot's procedures, but I know all of the ceramic coating products I use specify a very exact media blasting process. New media only and they even specify grit, and the type of media to be used. 80-100 grit garnet or aluminum oxide. I like garnet.

Users who are viewing this thread