insulating garage door?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone put the foam insulation in their garage door? I've been considering it for a while but hadn't gotten around to it - my door faces south and gets baked in the sun most of the day, which is merciless right now. It's already painted white, I'd like to keep temps down in there since the AC handler is in there, dunno if that'll help it keep up or not. My AC is only about 5 years old and has run super well until this BS with 100 degrees out all day.

If you've done this did you notice much difference? The R factor of the foam board is around 4.5. The kits with an R factor of 8 seem to be much heavier and lots of complaints about it not sticking and sagging.

Did you have to do anything with the opener or spring? The kits look to weigh 10-12lbs on a double wide door (Im just gonna buy whole boards and cut it myself)

lastly - with wind reinforcement pieces that go across horizontally - I assume it's fine to remove them to get the panels in place and throw em back on afterward? I can't see where it would matter

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I did mine last year, made a big difference both summer and winter. I think it only cost about $100.00, Well worth it. I bought full sheets and cut them to fit, I did nothing with the opener, works just the same.

Attachments

• 68730793774__E0CCE612-3F0A-4E6E-AAFC-AACF4D2260B1.jpeg
    68730793774__E0CCE612-3F0A-4E6E-AAFC-AACF4D2260B1.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 121

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I did mine last year, made a big difference both summer and winter. I think it only cost about $100.00, Well worth it. I bought full sheets and cut them to fit, I did nothing with the opener, works just the same.

do you know which material that is?

Looking at the pre-cut kits looks like theyre using 1.25" thick sheet so was gonna see what my options were for that

JimCSHO

Established Member
I did mine with a kit from Home Depot, fiberglass batts. Seemed to help and cut down on road noise.

But I did have to have the spring replaced. It was surprising the amount of extra weight it added and disconnecting the opener the door would come slamming down quick. Luckily a friend does garage doors and came over to replace it for me.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
do you know which material that is?

Looking at the pre-cut kits looks like theyre using 1.25" thick sheet so was gonna see what my options were for that
I will find out for you, I have a couple of left over pieces still kicking around. I don’t remember what it is off the top of my head. I’ll get back to you this morning

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like 1.25-.5 is probably as thick as I can go with the panels pressed in for the little decorative squares.

Was definitely on a bit of budget when I bought the place almost 20 years ago. The door is in excellent shape so no justification to replace it

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I just looked at mine, 1 1/2” thick, white styrofoam, foil on one side. Got it at Home Depot. I remember I hummed and hawed about using the denser pink stuff but it was more expensive and I wasn’t sure that insulating the door was going to be effective so I went with the cheaper stuff and very happy with the results. Besides, I think the silver foil looks a lot better than the pink stuff would. Who wants pink in the garage??

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I just looked at mine, 1 1/2” thick, white styrofoam, foil on one side. Got it at Home Depot. I remember I hummed and hawed about using the denser pink stuff but it was more expensive and I wasn’t sure that insulating the door was going to be effective so I went with the cheaper stuff and very happy with the results. Besides, I think the silver foil looks a lot better than the pink stuff would. Who wants pink in the garage??
how well do they hold in heat in the winter? I don't want to heat my garage.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Better than I expected, before I did the insulation it would be close to the same temp as outside, with the insulation it’s much better, I do have a 240V 5000watt heater and I can get 70F in there when it is zero outside

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
damnit, looks like lowes and HD only have stuff that's either 1" or 2" unless you buy the stupid door kit. Gonna have to look around more or see what they can order I guess

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Anyone put the foam insulation in their garage door? I've been considering it for a while but hadn't gotten around to it - my door faces south and gets baked in the sun most of the day, which is merciless right now. It's already painted white, I'd like to keep temps down in there since the AC handler is in there, dunno if that'll help it keep up or not. My AC is only about 5 years old and has run super well until this BS with 100 degrees out all day.

If you've done this did you notice much difference? The R factor of the foam board is around 4.5. The kits with an R factor of 8 seem to be much heavier and lots of complaints about it not sticking and sagging.

Did you have to do anything with the opener or spring? The kits look to weigh 10-12lbs on a double wide door (Im just gonna buy whole boards and cut it myself)

lastly - with wind reinforcement pieces that go across horizontally - I assume it's fine to remove them to get the panels in place and throw em back on afterward? I can't see where it would matter
Do you have a Whole House Ventilation System? Something like the Honeywell W8150a 1001? My settings were all crazy on the board. After making switch or dial changes it wure cools the house faster without coils freezing over on the handler.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Do you have a Whole House Ventilation System? Something like the Honeywell W8150a 1001? My settings were all crazy on the board. After making switch or dial changes it wure cools the house faster without coils freezing over on the handler.
I do not. It’s not icing over and it’s a few degrees cooler, it’s keeping up at 74 so far today. Everyone I talked to the last few days unless they’ve done a lot of insulation work their ac isn’t keeping up right now
Maybe it's something they only stock in the fall? I think I bought mine in September
Might be a regional thing too. Gonna do some quick research on the 1” vs 1.25” and see much that matters. They have 8’ 1” thick sheets or two of the garage door kits. The extra $70 kinda sucks but at the same time it will be a lot quicker

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

Sorry to be long winded. Short answer to your question, No:ROFLMAO:

When I overhauled my builder grade garage a few years ago, I had a new door put in by Precision Garage Door.

They accidently delivered and installed a hurricane rated one. Guy said, my roof will go before this door leaves the house:ROFLMAO:

I wanted a clean look on the inside so its insulated
I also went with a belt driven garage door opener.
The door is damn near silent when moving.

So, my garage is not air conditioned, but, if I stand outside in current temps of feels like 115*, and open the garage door I get a serious blast of cold air. Same thing in the winter.

People stopping by to visit actually thought my garage was climate controlled.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I do not. It’s not icing over and it’s a few degrees cooler, it’s keeping up at 74 so far today. Everyone I talked to the last few days unless they’ve done a lot of insulation work their ac isn’t keeping up right now

Might be a regional thing too. Gonna do some quick research on the 1” vs 1.25” and see much that matters. They have 8’ 1” thick sheets or two of the garage door kits. The extra $70 kinda sucks but at the same time it will be a lot quicker
You had me looking at insulation. Because I have an AV room and shower room right above the garage they are saying to use R 16. I think R 10-12 should work fine and tue R16 comes from the same guys that think a jeep needs 93 octane.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Blow in R-30 and be done. Doing that this winter. After the last hurricane ripped out my soffits, lost a ton of insulation and my radiant barrier got rocked, it needs to be done. Not super expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread