Installng headers/springs..????'s

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
I have some springs I was about to install, but in a week or so I will be adding Mac headers should I just tackle both at the same time? :shrug:

Q1. Can this be done with just basic hand tools?

Q2. What gaskets to use?

Q3. What does chasing the threads mean ha?

Q4. What bolts do I need for the headers?

Q5. My car was dyno tuned before I got the car, but I have no idea what it was tuned with, etc......I will be getting a nitrous tune along with the headers. How do I go about getting a dyno tune now?

Q6. Anybody have any good links for spring or header install? All the threads I found didn't have too much info. Thanks

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
spring/header install

i have some springs I was about to install, but in a week or so I will be adding Mac headers should I just tackle both at the same time?

Def wait for the headers .. no reason dropping the a-arms twice

Q1. Can this be done with just basic hand tools?

yes .. but power tools makes the job easier to remove the 8 K-member bolts (highly recommend dropping the K)

Q2. What gaskets to use?

i used oem gaskets from Tousley Ford

Q3. What does chasing the threads mean ha?

no idea:shrug:

Q4. What bolts do I need for the headers?

i used the oem bolts .. no issues and it's been a year now

Q5. My car was dyno tuned before I got the car, but I have no idea what it was tuned with, etc......I will be getting a nitrous tune along with the headers. How do I go about getting a dyno tune now?

i would think you need a handheld tuner .. your tuner should be able to make you a new tune and upload it through the handheld and scrap your existing tune .. but someone else could chime in on this

Q6. Anybody have any good links for spring or header install? All the threads I found didn't have too much info. Thanks

i used a detailed write-up on mine(from a gt mustang if i remember correctly) .. but its the same

Last edited:

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
Thanks for the input...Since I have no idea what the car was tuned with does it doesn't matter if I get a diablo or sct flip chip?

What you saying is you used the same bolts you took out? or new oem bolts?

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
Thanks for the input...Since I have no idea what the car was tuned with does it doesn't matter if I get a diablo or sct flip chip?

What you saying is you used the same bolts you took out? or new oem bolts?

im not sure about those "chips" .. i used the sct handheld during my tune and thats what i am familiar with

yea i reused the existing oem bolts .. worked just fine

what mufflers are you going to use with your mac lt's and o/r x

shurur

Established Member
a thread chaser is like a bolt with slots cut in it. It is used to clean out the threads of a hole before putting a bolt back in.

example:they make spark plug hole chasers to make sure the plugs get thread square and don't ruin the threads.

A tap is for cutting new threads into a drilled hole.
A die is used to rethead a bolt.

googled this...
Thread chaser Vs. Tap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

You learn these terms as you start to need them.
Have fun.

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
Buy stage 8 locking header bolts too. I just got done using a set on my bassani headers. After you install the headers, you will NOT want to piss with them again.. At least that's how I felt.

It's quite the learning experience. PM me if you have any trouble or questions!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
im not sure about those "chips" .. i used the sct handheld during my tune and thats what i am familiar with

yea i reused the existing oem bolts .. worked just fine

what mufflers are you going to use with your mac lt's and o/r x

Ok, well right now the car has Bassani exhaust, so I'm sure I'm reuse that minus the x pipe.

a thread chaser is like a bolt with slots cut in it. It is used to clean out the threads of a hole before putting a bolt back in.

example:they make spark plug hole chasers to make sure the plugs get thread square and don't ruin the threads.

A tap is for cutting new threads into a drilled hole.
A die is used to rethead a bolt.

googled this...
Thread chaser Vs. Tap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

You learn these terms as you start to need them.
Have fun.

Cool, because I hard no idea what that meant Thanks.

Buy stage 8 locking header bolts too. I just got done using a set on my bassani headers. After you install the headers, you will NOT want to piss with them again.. At least that's how I felt.

It's quite the learning experience. PM me if you have any trouble or questions!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I'll look into those bolts.

This is gone be one heck of experience, as I've never done suspension work or headers before but I refuse to let anyone touch my ride, I've had to many bad experiences.

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
For you header guys, did you need anything like extensions or mil eliminators? Trying make I have already before I install.

hotcobra03

Established Member
i have bbk lt`s...

i reused the oem gasket more than once and never a leak..

i used some studs and longer bolts..

i used bosch o2 with longer harness to reach

is mac headers the 1`s that the steering shaft goes thru tube,,,vs bbk with shaft along side?

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
For you header guys, did you need anything like extensions or mil eliminators? Trying make I have already before I install.

your front 2 o2 sensors are moved farther away than the stock location on headers .. you will need to get the extensions from lethalperformance.com .. the rear ones are going to be in the same location and will not be affected

going to a catless x-pipe you will need to have your cat's turned off in your new tune so you don't throw a check engine light code .. don't spend on eliminators when all you need to do is tell your tuner you don't have cats and he can fix it

is mac headers the 1`s that the steering shaft goes thru tube,,,vs bbk with shaft along side?

yes on mac lt's the steering shaft goes through the tubes

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
I learned to go tubular. Definitely will be replacing the K member next time I want a project. Getting the stock bitch bolted back up was a pain. Buy the Harbor Freight engine support for $65. I did headers in my drive way with a very limited amount of tools. Also magic happened, took all the slack in my drivetrain away and now I have no clunk.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
I learned to go tubular. Definitely will be replacing the K member next time I want a project. Getting the stock bitch bolted back up was a pain. Buy the Harbor Freight engine support for $65. I did headers in my drive way with a very limited amount of tools. Also magic happened, took all the slack in my drivetrain away and now I have no clunk.

im going tubular K real soon .. and i agree the harbor freight engine hoist is a very nice piece .. that's what i bought and used

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
I'm check that out, anything to make this job easier I'm down for. Did you guys do this header install alone?

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
i had the help of 2 others .. 3 guys and a car lift .. it still took all day long

but we are extremely careful and took our time .. getting the k out only took us about 1.5 hours

i recommend you do that and don't try to fight the job with it in place .. its very difficult to see the bolts and know they are secure

and if you have thoughts on going tubular K .. you may wanna tackle it now.. i wish i did:nonono:

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
I'm not really a fan of aftermarket k members, I just prefer stock. I will be dropping the k member for sure.

Are the stage 8 bolts really needed? Seems like the stock bolts hold just fine?

Will I be able to drive without boost for a few days until my tune or just don't drive it all?

Anybody got a link to the Harbor Freight item mentioned?

We don't have emissions here, so should I go ahead delete the egr or keep it?

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
I'm not really a fan of aftermarket k members, I just prefer stock. I will be dropping the k member for sure.

Will I be able to drive without boost for a few days until my tune or just don't drive it all?

engine support
1000 Lb. Capacity Engine Support Bar

D-MANN

Established Member
Stage 8's are like 50 bucks not alot in my opinion.Last thing I would want to do is tackle an exhaust leak after putting everything back on.Just not worth the hassle.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member

delete it .. tackling that thing is a B**** with the mac's .. i've seen it and it did not want to work so i deleted the egr

stage 8's are not "needed" .. the oem studs held the oem manifolds on fine .. and they hold on the mac lt's just fine as well .. over a year now and i have no issues

Last edited:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
ask me anything when you do the install .. i get on daily and can help you out anyway i can

it's the most frustrating mod i've done to the car .. but in the end i am happy i did them

Users who are viewing this thread