Installing srpings in rear, is IRS drop mandatory?

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
I want to install new springs in the rear. Days ago I removed the rear tires and saw that previous owner had installed low profile IRS bolts. I also noticed the head is almost stripped and I may have to remove it thru other means:nonono:

So what options do I have? can i bypass removing the bolts and compress the springs and go that route?

Also If I have to cut them, where can I get some bolts to put them instead of the weak low profiles?

I dont mind shaving the head down...

Thanks in advance

Car is a 99 cobra vert.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
No, you don't have to drop it. I've been able to pry the springs out, and putting the new ones in easy once they're cut. I assume you're cutting them, as I've seen your posts in the cutting springs thread.

SpectorV

Established Member
For mine I unbolted the exhaust hangers and let the exhaust hang down a bit (or remove the catback if you want)

then remove the shock bolts, watch the brake lines so they dont get to tight, and remove the back two IRS bolts then tilt the irs down with a jack that is supporting the rear. Then you can get to it.

GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT time to change fuel filter!

KLLR SNK

Established Member
You don't have to drop the rear IRS by pulling the the bolts but it is the easiest way. One thing I do on the install, especially with the ISO's in, is use heavy soapy water in a spray bottle. I soak the perches and the ISO's then the springs usually slip right in.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
For mine I unbolted the exhaust hangers and let the exhaust hang down a bit (or remove the catback if you want)

then remove the shock bolts, watch the brake lines so they dont get to tight, and remove the back two IRS bolts then tilt the irs down with a jack that is supporting the rear. Then you can get to it.

GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT time to change fuel filter!

this!!!

Users who are viewing this thread