Installed some new mods on my LS Boss

Boss3o2

Established Member
Just purchased my 2012 Boss 302 LS, and have already got the itch for some subtle mods. This car is so fantastic in stock form, I was very picky about what goes on it.

I love the stance of the Boss 302S race car, so I opted for Ford Racing's suspension package. Mainly because of the R&D that has went into the Boss 302S program. This consisted of Mono-tube Adjustable Tokico Dampners, Boss 302S F.R. Coil Springs, Camber Adj. Bolts, and the stronger GT500 Top Mounts/Pillow Mounts.

Also installed an 4130 Chromoly Boss 302R rear adjustable Pan-hard bar.

I took the car over to Pruetts Custom Alignment Shop, who specializes in corner balancing and lowered vehicles, for an alignment. The car feels even more amazing now. Plus, it got rid of the huge fender gap and it did not sacrifice any ride comfortability. I am very happy with the results. I have some new wheels, and Toyo R888's coming. Can't wait to get her out on the track. I have full detailed pics, of the install. If anyone is interested.

Before pics (Stock Suspension)
newbossls748.jpg

mynewbosss.jpg

bossbeforestance.jpg

After
bosslssh1.jpg

bosslsph2.jpg

bosslsph3.jpg

bosslsph4.jpg

bosslsph342.jpg

Some comparison photos.
bosstsocksusp34.jpg

bosshsocks.jpg

Stock Boss 302 Top Hats
bossfrsh4.jpg

New GT500 Top Hats
bossfrfsh3.jpg

bossalspec1.jpg

bosslssusfr1.jpg

I also installed a Corsa Xtreme Axle-Back Exhaust, to get a little more sound and lose a little weight. Sounds great, and there is no "drone" with this exhaust at all. :)

corsaxtreme.jpg

bossrearl1.jpg

Last edited:

JoeJ

Established Member
Boss3o2,

The Toyo R888 is not a good track tire. You should use Hoosier R6's or Kumo NT01's. I think you will find the R888 will get really slippery. I bought a set and only used them one time and went back to the R6's and NT01's.
However, your car looks great and you will have a blast with it on track.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Boss3o2,

The Toyo R888 is not a good track tire. You should use Hoosier R6's or Kumo NT01's. I think you will find the R888 will get really slippery. I bought a set and only used them one time and went back to the R6's and NT01's.

Nitto makes the NT01's :) The NT05's are fun tires as well. I agree with this guy, I've seen bad things happen on R888's. IIRC, NASA AI/CMC only ran them 1 season before switching back to R6's because so many people were having problems with R888's.

jlwdvm

Established Member
I have the brake ducts on my 2011 GT and was wondering if your tires rub them when turning lock to lock?

Boss3o2

Established Member
Boss3o2,

Thanks for all the compliments, everyone.

Thats odd, as I have always had success with the R888 (Uses on my Sport Compacts, Acura NSX, and 70 Boss 302). I have been using the R888 since the release, and before was using the RA1's. A good friend of mine is the Marketing Director for Toyo. I will relate these concerns, and see if he has heard anyone else complain.

I have the brake ducts on my 2011 GT and was wondering if your tires rub them when turning lock to lock?

None, what so ever. I can have the steering wheel at full lock, and while turning, with no rubbing at all.

Also, I have yet to scrape the LS Splitter. I have put 450 miles on the suspension so far.

jlwdvm

Established Member
I have Koni yellows, Strano front sway bar, and Steeda sport springs. My ducts are attached just like yours...can't figure out why they rub. I have SVT 9.5" rims with 255 rubber up front.

BUstang

Established Member
Could you please post a link to the Ford Racing kit you purchased? Thanks!

300AGT

Established Member
Jlwdvm
I think the Boss is using a different steering rack stop that the GT are. I look into putting the brake ducting on my GT and at full lock it will smash the ducting all to hell .:shrug:

65sohc

Established Member
Just purchased my 2012 Boss 302 LS, and have already got the itch for some subtle mods. This car is so fantastic in stock form, I was very picky about what goes on it.

I love the stance of the Boss 302S race car, so I opted for Ford Racing's suspension package. Mainly because of the R&D that has went into the Boss 302S program. This consisted of Mono-tube Adjustable Tokico Dampners, Boss 302S F.R. Coil Springs, Camber Adj. Bolts, and the stronger GT500 Top Mounts/Pillow Mounts.

I took the car over to Pruetts Custom Alignment Shop, who specializes in corner balancing and lowered vehicles, for an alignment. The car feels even more amazing now. Plus, it got rid of the huge fender gap and it did not sacrifice any ride comfortability.

So it really rides as comfortably as with the stock suspension? I'm getting my car Saturday and I know I will want to lower it but I promised myself I would never again sacrifice comfort as I have with all my other cars, the last one being an '09 GT500 that was essentially ruined with Griggs stuff.

cloud9

Established Member

I took the car over to Pruetts Custom Alignment Shop, who specializes in corner balancing and lowered vehicles, for an alignment. The car feels even more amazing now. Plus, it got rid of the huge fender gap and it did not sacrifice any ride comfortability.

So it really rides as comfortably as with the stock suspension? I'm getting my car Saturday and I know I will want to lower it but I promised myself I would never again sacrifice comfort as I have with all my other cars, the last one being an '09 GT500 that was essentially ruined with Griggs stuff.

I have the 302S suspension on my Boss and am happy with it. I opted for the rod end bearings on the LCAs and UCA so I get the associated clunking. The ride is still very comfortable, but you'll have to decide if the noise would bother you. I usually have my windows down and the stereo going on the street, so I don't hear it especially over the exhaust with no side pipes and Corsa Extreme axle backs. I also have a GT500 with Griggs suspension and coilovers and don't like the streetability of it any more. The Boss rides much more comfortably than the GT500, but you do get more noise than stock. 5 DOT 0 just installed the same kit as I did but opted for the poly bushings on the control arms. I'll let him comment on the noise from those....should be quieter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread