Installed Predator R12D - went for test drive

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
After loading the Predator R12D and going on a 20 mile test drive, here are my observations:

- Car *seems* to run better, but I'll have to drive it more to be sure.

- The shift light still does not work. For some reason the default setting for the shift light was 7000 RPM's. I backed it off to 6250, but it never came on. Also, the light still doesn't come on during normal driving for fuel economy shifting.

- Rev limiter is set to 6500 RPMs. I thought the factory setting was 6800. Left it alone.

- The traction control disable feature works in reverse. You must set it to "ON" for it to actually be off. Also, once you turn it off, you can't use the console button to turn it back on. So, you wouldn't be able to turn it back on during a rain storm if you wanted to use it.

- Radiator fan comes on much more often than the stock tune.

- It looked like the engine came close to stalling a couple times, but for the most part, it was fine and never actually stalled. I performed a wide variety of manuvers that would normally cause it to stall and it never did. I'm not sure if the R12D actually includes the stall fix in its code, or if you still need to get the flash from Ford. I would imagine this new code includes it, since it's flashing an entire new program into the computer. I never actually got the "stall fix" update from Ford. I'll have to drive it for a while yet to be sure if the stalling is fixed.

I know the verdict is still out on Diablo and the Predator Performance Tune. Some people are having trouble with it.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Update:

Earlier this evening, I drove around for about an hour testing out this new R12D tune. I tried all the normal things that usually get the car to stall. The car didn't even come close to stalling.

Perhaps the stall fix really is in the R12D tune.

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
Traction control button still works for me. And the reason why it seems backwards because as you say in your post it's labeled "traction control disable", so naturally you want to turn it ON. :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My Diablo chip brought the radiator fans on early, too. Allowed me to use the stock thermostat which was a good thing.

Hope your stalling issue is gone. Keep us posted.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Drove all the way to work this morning and NO stalling. I always used to downshift while approaching a stop since I didn't want to stall.

Today I drove all the way without downshifing and the engine behaved perfectly. However, I still think a longer test is in order. If it doesn't stall for at least a month, I would be convinced.

Also, the traction control option says "Traction" and the options are "on" or "off". It works in reverse, although the manual says this might happen. Not sure why you can't turn it on manually with the button if you disable it with the Predator. That kind of sucks.

Also, the non-working shift light bugs me.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Update:

The stalling issue is still present. I just stalled yesterday when approaching a stop sign. It looks like the R12D update doesn't include the stall fix in its code.

I guess you still need to go to Ford and get the latest update from them.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
What made you think the predator would fix your stall? Has it fixed it for anyone else? Diablo told me in an email there was no difference in the pulley tunes with the new version other than adding a version for lower octanes. Is it different with Performance Tune?

lifter213

Established Member
Originally posted by NyteByte
Update:

The stalling issue is still present. It looks like the R12D update doesn't include the stall fix in its code.

Its my understanding that the R12D version doesnt fix the stalling issue. The R12D update makes it that once you get the stall flash done by ford you can then load your predator tune. The Predator's were not working on the cars that were getting the new updated flash by ford, that's why there was an new version of the predator released.

Users who are viewing this thread