Installed MRT Catted H-pipe today!

jk03cobra

Established Member
Just finished installing the MRT Catted H today. I kept the Borla Stinger Catback and all I can say is WOW! I was amazed at how much louder my car got. It sounds awesome. It's about the same volume at idle as just the Stinger with the stock H, but now when you get on it, it's crazy loud. :pepper: I only took it out for a short drive and a couple people already complimented the sound. Highly recommend this setup if you want loud, deep, sound.

As far as the install, it was a bit of a pain in the ass. Would have been much easier with a lift though. Getting to the bolts on the right side is not easy. Neither was getting to the oxygen sensors near the top of the pipe. Damn near impossible to get your arm up in there to disconnect the harnesses. My back hurts from lying on the garage floor all day, but it was worth it. Sounds great now!

EDIT: JUST ADDED A SOUND CLIP TODAY, SEE POST FURTHER DOWN PAGE.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very nice. The MRT H-pipe is my favorite midpipe sound wise.

99BOSS

Established Member
Yep we need a soundclip. Im on the fence as far as ordering a MRT catted H to go with my stingers. I like the sound with the stock H so if the MRT H gives the same tone/sound only louder, Im in. I dont want any raspy, glasspack sound though. Thanks!

Juiced-03

Established Member
My girlfriend at the time had small hands and was able to get to the sensors for me. A swivel socket, long extension, and lots of PB Blaster really make a midpipe swap a lot less troublesome.

2003 Silver

Banned
I-CAN-STANG said:
MRT H Pipe? I'm 1st in line! :pop:

Yes it is and it already has a WBC bung installed. I just put on a Bassani catted x and I am thinking of keeping both to switch it up....if not, you are first in line.

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
jk03cobra said:
Just finished installing the MRT Catted H today. I kept the Borla Stinger Catback and all I can say is WOW! I was amazed at how much louder my car got. It sounds awesome. It's about the same volume at idle as just the Stinger with the stock H, but now when you get on it, it's crazy loud. :pepper: I only took it out for a short drive and a couple people already complimented the sound. Highly recommend this setup if you want loud, deep, sound.

As far as the install, it was a bit of a pain in the ass. Would have been much easier with a lift though. Getting to the bolts on the right side is not easy. Neither was getting to the oxygen sensors near the top of the pipe. Damn near impossible to get your arm up in there to disconnect the harnesses. My back hurts from lying on the garage floor all day, but it was worth it. Sounds great now!

Sweet man! Glad to hear all is good.
:beer:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Great combo. I've had it on since MRT cam out with a catted H. Love it. Of course the H&R's have played havoc on them from time to time......

Todd03Blown

Established Member
awesome!! I would also love to hear a video of this setup and I am always debating on ditching the stock h and going with the MRT catted H. I just love the sound of the stock H and stinger CB.

jk03cobra

Established Member
Ok, here's a short sound clip I just made. I'm almost hesitant to post it, because it does it no justice. Also these are just a couple revs sitting in the garage. It is 10x louder WOT. I need someone to video the car with me driving by, to get a better idea how it really sounds. I'll keep working on it.

http://media.putfile.com/StingersMRT-Catted-H

$ickZ06

Established Member
Todd03Blown said:
awesome!! I would also love to hear a video of this setup and I am always debating on ditching the stock h and going with the MRT catted H. I just love the sound of the stock H and stinger CB.

That's exactly how i feel, I LOVE the sound of Borla with the stock H and i'm a little afraid that i wouldn't like the MRT H-Pipe.

Todd03Blown

Established Member
That sound clip does sound good. From what I can tell it does sound louder than the stock hpipe even just with the reving you were doing.

realaxed83

Established Member
I had the borla on my car since the second week I got it...LOVED the sound with just the cb. Then I added the mrt pipe and liked it a lot less, sounded great at idle and low rpm's but popped too much for my liking at wot and decel. Then since I had to do a clutch/flywheel I decided to do bbk lt's with an offroad h. HATED the sound! Once again sounded just beastly at started up and low rpms but it seriously sounded like a z71 with glasspacks at anything more than 2200 rpms. I think that its just too much air for those little resonators. I had the stingers and lt's on for about 4 days and couldn't stand it so I went with the flowmaster cb which was kind of a downgrade in my opinion but I needed a chambered muffler. Car sounds much better now but it is very quite at idle and low rpms, sounds great at wot. Guess you can't have it all. Word to the wise, while I don't regret doing lt's b/c hopefully it will yield power gains, I miss the stinger only sound so until you hear a stinger + anything combo IN PERSON, I would be cautious buying anything. Sorry for the thread whoring but all the swapping of parts disturbed me. Some people like the sound, I'm glad you are one of them.

jk03cobra

Established Member
realaxed83 said:
I had the borla on my car since the second week I got it...LOVED the sound with just the cb. Then I added the mrt pipe and liked it a lot less, sounded great at idle and low rpm's but popped too much for my liking at wot and decel. Then since I had to do a clutch/flywheel I decided to do bbk lt's with an offroad h. HATED the sound! Once again sounded just beastly at started up and low rpms but it seriously sounded like a z71 with glasspacks at anything more than 2200 rpms. I think that its just too much air for those little resonators. I had the stingers and lt's on for about 4 days and couldn't stand it so I went with the flowmaster cb which was kind of a downgrade in my opinion but I needed a chambered muffler. Car sounds much better now but it is very quite at idle and low rpms, sounds great at wot. Guess you can't have it all. Word to the wise, while I don't regret doing lt's b/c hopefully it will yield power gains, I miss the stinger only sound so until you hear a stinger + anything combo IN PERSON, I would be cautious buying anything. Sorry for the thread whoring but all the swapping of parts disturbed me. Some people like the sound, I'm glad you are one of them.

I totally agree that you need to hear it in person. That's why I was hesitant to post the clip. It sounds a lot different in person. You just don't get the full sound from a video clip. I loved the Stinger with the stock H-pipe too, but I wanted a little louder. With this combo I got a lot louder, a little more than I expected actually, but I still like it. It's not for everyone, like you said, some love it and some dont' care for it. It's all personal preference. :beer:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I've yet to hear a vid that does this combo justice. You've got to hear it in person like others are saying......

Users who are viewing this thread