Installed lowering springs

Eddie Z

Established Member
Figured I'd let you all know that my first mod so far has been getting rid of that 4x4 look. After spending hours research the search button, I came up with a set-up that I thought would work. I went with H&Rs in the rear, and Steeda sports in the front like a fellow member here did on his 03. Last night I finished the nightmarish 3 hour job. I use to own a 96, and installing lowering springs was a breeze. On this car like many of you know, the rears are a major PITA. I ended up using spring compressors to compress the old springs, yank them out, compressed the new springs, and slid them right in. All the bloody knuckles and cursing was worth it though.

The stance looks really nice. It still has a SLIGHT raked look, but nothing like some of the 03 cobras I've seen with lowering springs. I still have about 3/4 of an inch gap in the front, and about 1 inch gap in the rear. Pictures to come... ;-)

SouthFlaSnake

Established Member
I agree! I would love some pics. I want to lower my car, and have been doing research. I also came to the conclusion that with the Steeda Sports all the way around, the rake was more than stock... 3/4" gap up front and 1" gap out back is perfect IMO.

-Mike

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
Were you able to buy them as seperates (ie not full set)? I want springs for the rear only. Thanks

jason

sir-blah

Established Member
I wish I could lower my car. I was going to go for the MM Coildovers but my driveway has a rounded curb to the street and stock I scrape if I'm not careful. :cuss:

UnprediKtable

Established Member
Other than lower the car for asthetic purposes, what else do the springs do? Is the spring rate higher? If you are installing the same spring rate springs but not as tall, is your ride more harsh?

Lowering the center of Gravity is a good thing, but I dont see the point in simpley 'lowreing' the car unless you are getting a stiffer spring as well.

Fill me in.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd like to see some pics, too. I'll bet it looks nice. I had lowering springs on my '94 Camaro. I didn't like the ride harshness. Cornered like a go-kart, though. LOL! I'd like to get a set of coilovers in the Spring. Better ride and handling, and the height is adjustable. I like that. JMO.

cobra4ever

Established Member
I used the same set up (Steeda front and H&R rears) ground to fender lip is about 26 1/2 all the way around. Looks great and handles even better

Eddie Z

Established Member
You can get Steeda springs in pairs from steeda, and H&Rs in pair from mamimum motorsports. The ride is perfect, can'
t even tell I lowered it. I really need to get pics now, I just swapped my BBS RK wheels from my old 96 cobra to my 03 and it looks even better!

madmaxmustang

Established Member
Not gonna lie, I have been waiting for someone else to try it first.

If you could post pics, cause I believe there will be alot of us going to do that same thing.

Have you noticed if those springs helped the wheel hop at all??

Brad

Banned
Yeah, you really need an internal spring compressor and air tools to do this intstall without flipping out. I did mine with just hand tools, very big pita. The spring compressor from auto zone is too big and will end up jabbing a hole into the top of where the springs sits, so I cut their compressor in half, worked like a charm. Now that I have air tools Im planning a quick spring swap in the spring, the H&R's are just too low in the front.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Originally posted by Brad
Yeah, you really need an internal spring compressor and air tools to do this intstall without flipping out. I did mine with just hand tools, very big pita. The spring compressor from auto zone is too big and will end up jabbing a hole into the top of where the springs sits, so I cut their compressor in half, worked like a charm. Now that I have air tools Im planning a quick spring swap in the spring, the H&R's are just too low in the front.

What do you mean cut in half? I want to do this soon! I lowered my 02 GT and my 03 GT in like less than an hour. I am dissapointed that this is such a pain in the a.. on the IRS.

And the guy that asked about the difference in performance....Yes each performance spring has a rating on stiffness for better handling.

missile man

Established Member
PICS!!!!! I have been contemplating doing the same thing bur was wondering where I could get the springs in pairs.

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
I only see a set of 4 on steeda's website and MM is backed up till late January. Do you have the steeda part number for just the front springs? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread