Installed Lightning pulley today, now detonation!!!

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
Hey guys, I put in my lighting pulley today, what a pain in the ass!! Anyways I reset the computer, and took it for a drive. Awesome pull in second gear then third I hear pinging after 5000 rpm's. I back off and try again. Same thing. Should I give the computer more time to adjust or should I get a chip? I have a superchip but I am afraid to install it. Its a JDM chip but I want to use a dyno right afterwards. Should I give the car a few hundred miles before I romp on it? Any help will be appreciated greatly!!

Oh I have NGK TR6's and densecharger cold air only.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
What is your computer code? Chris Johnson (www.jmschips.com) told me that the QUD2 (the first program flashed on the 1st run Cobras) are significantly richer than the YDH1 (the latest program). W/ a 2.93 pulley, the QUD2 might be in the 15:1 area while the YDH1 (and maybe the YDH0) would be in the 16 to 17:1 AFR below 5000+ rpm..

WHY is everyone insisting on trying to drive these cars w/ a pulley and no chip? The chip gives (on a 2.93 pullied car) about 75lb/ft of torque at 2500rpm.. remind me why no chip? Sorry for the rant, this is not meant as a personal attack.

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Buddy get your car tuned properly before you blow a head gasket. Find a good tuner and have them correct your pinging issues with the chip.:beer:

Razor.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Anything smaller then a 3.2 pulley ,a chip is a must.

you can add better fuel it can help,however you still have lean condition.

Jim V.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by Jim Vaccaro
Anything smaller then a 3.2 pulley ,a chip is a must.

you can add better fuel it can help,however you still have lean condition.

Jim V.

Jim, while that may have been true w/ the QUD2 program in the 1st run cars, that statement may no longer be a safe statement on the latest program.. dunno, I haven't seen it first hand: YDH1 AFR stock and then compared to a pull w/ a pulley on.. anyone have this info?

Jerry

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Originally posted by Jerryk
WHY is everyone insisting on trying to drive these cars w/ a pulley and no chip? The chip gives (on a 2.93 pullied car) about 75lb/ft of torque at 2500rpm.. remind me why no chip? Sorry for the rant, this is not meant as a personal attack.

I SECOND that. I picked up about that amount with a custom chip; I can say for absolutly sure that if you're running a 2.93 and no chip you're VERY lean below about 3500. My baseline run started at 2500 rpm and the A/F was just over 14:1 (QUD2). Doing absolutly nothing else but fixing the a/f (11.3:1 straight across) got me 40rwhp and 50 rwtq at 3,000 (even more below that). More tuning and I got 50rwph and 82 rwtq at 3,000- for about what the X pipe cost.

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
Thanks for the help guys! I am worried about putting in the chip because it is burned by JDM for my mods but I know every car is different and there are no local dyno tuners :( so I guess I'll take my chances and go for it!

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Bryan, what is your computer code? Also, I would bet your better off w/ the chip than no chip! Try it out! If nothing else, chip it then go do some pulls on a dyno and check your Air/Fuel Ratio..

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRyan
Thanks for the help guys! I am worried about putting in the chip because it is burned by JDM for my mods but I know every car is different and there are no local dyno tuners :( so I guess I'll take my chances and go for it!

If JDM burned the chip for the pully, I would deffiantely put the chip in. Otherwise I would give them a call and see if you can get it reburned.

Brian

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
some of you guys are crazy to install 2.93 pulleys without chips or install cookie cut chips by some moron 15000 miles away.

Didn't we just read about a guy that threw 2 pistons with one of these chips?

If I was ever to chip my ride it would be done by a professional on a dyno with a wideband. I personally would never install a chip, "drive it around" and then bring it to the dyno. What happens if the chip is bad. That's like driving around with no oil. It doesn't make sense.

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
some of you guys are crazy to install 2.93 pulleys without chips or install cookie cut chips by some moron 15000 miles away.

Sometimes them morons are all we've got! I mean I don't know of a shop anywhere near here that can dyno-tune and custom burn me a chip; otherwise, we'd all go for it and these morons would be out of business. Driving half-way across the country or sending my car to get it dyno-tuned half-way across the country is not likely either....

FYI: I'm not calling anyone a moron. I think people like Rick @ Amazon Racing, Terry @ SFPHQ, and the UPR folks are pretty good at what they are doing! Without them, I wouldn't be able to enjoy a 520 BHP Cobra! (My car runs good with a cookie cutter chip... :D)

Poisoned Pony

The Mach that Rocks
Established Member
Originally posted by COBRyan

Bryan, might be the crappy gas with have here. I was pinging with the Timing Adjuster enough to the point where I took it off.

There's 1 tuner in the Bay Area and he knows his shit with power adder stangs.

his site: www.racesystems.com

he tunes out of Apex Motorsports and Mustang Ranch in the bay area. I heard he can travel, not 100% sure.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by shetheri
Aren't the TR-6 plugs hotter than the stock plugs? You might try going back to the stock spec plug, also.

The copper ones are I believe one heat range colder.:beer:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
The title of your post says it all. Thanks for reminding all of us that you never run a smaller pulley without a properly tuned chip.

Users who are viewing this thread