Installed K&N FIPK and now...

Wiked03

Established Member
Originally posted by cdh027
Wiked03, I tried the MAC CIA and had nothing but problems. I sent it back and bought the C&L intake (basically a 9" K&N bolted directly to the MAF) and it has been flawless. I'm not familiar with the FIPK kit, but does it go into the fenderwell with a 90 degree bend ? If so, that is where the problem is. The air takes the 90 degree bend and create turbulence. The MAF gets confused by the turbulence and hence the stall.

Hry, Carol Stream huh? Howdy nieghbor.

Hello neighbor!

I also heard that about the fenderwell kits, not sure if it is true. The K&N is not a fender well kit though.

Well I tightened every thing down and no stall yet (but I haven't got to drive much.)

If it keeps stalling I will try drilling the heat shield.

Any tips on drilling it, Yuckfou?

Yuckfou

Huge Member
Established Member
It's easy. Took me 15 minutes. I rotated the MAF to the stock position, marked the heat shield for the new holes and drilled away.

The fender bracket may need to be trimmed. Since the MAF hosing has been rotated the normal bracket location is now out of position. With the MAF housing rotated the bracket needs to be attached to a different corner/screw hole on the MAF. I trimmed the bracket so it would clear the housing.

Something else to consider. There is a space above the headlight and below the hood where air and water can enter this area. For the time being I placed a piece of foam in that area. Seemed to work ok. A buddy told me about this, I’m glad he did.

Also, if you’ve done or plan on doing the hood mod check to make sure water won’t enter the filter area from the hood vent. The heat shield should contact the hood blanket. An easy way to check is to put the heat shield in place without the filter and stick a light in there. See if there’s any light coming through the hood vent or above the headlight.

The bracket wasn't completed when I took the pic.

103_0361sm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread