Installed K&N FIPK and now...

Wiked03

Established Member
I HAVE THE STALL! :mj: :mj:

It has stalled 5 or 6 times in the 200 miles since the install?

Now what do I do? Remove it and wait patiently for the stall fix from SVT?

Any one else have this problem?

99SVTAddict

Established Member
Did you disconnect the negative on the battery for about 20 minutes.....the computer may just need to reset itself. Also, it may take a few drive cycles to learn.

Local performance show has been selling the FIPK kit, pulley, and chip as a package with GREAT results.

I'm sure others will chime in soon!

Wiked03

Established Member
Yes I did have the battery disconnected during the install.

Thanks for the quick response.

Anyone else have ideas?

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
Check the position of your MAF. I have a K&N CAI and I haven't had many problems with the stall since I installed it but my MAF is at the 12:00 position. I have heard you want it between 10:00 and 12:00.

Wiked03

Established Member
Right now the MAF is right at 12:00... Thats the way the MAF connects to the heat shield. I think I would have to drill new holes in the heat shield to get the MAF at 10:00.

Has any one done that?

02cobraguy

Established Member
when I put mine on and just had that on my car, it stalled ALL the time. I had then put on x pipe and catback and have never stalled since then.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I have the K&N aircharger kit and a Borla stinger exhaust.

I've never had any problems in the summer, but it has stalled in temps below 50F. The stall only occurs in neutral, and when the engine is not at full operating temp yet (stalls within 1-10 minutes of starting the car in neutral, but not every time, after it's warmed up it does not stall).

I think the cold weather has a lot to do with it.

Mike

Last edited:

Wiked03

Established Member
It has been pretty cold around here lately, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I also have a new catback on order and will be installing that in a couple weeks, maybe that will help.

Thanks for the replies guys.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
KN-stall

I installed the K&N air charger this summer and never had a stall. I am sure it may have something due to the location of the maf.I am a Ford senior master tech, and I would take your Cobra in to the dealer and have the pcm reflashed when the fix is finally released.

comp 04

Jesus Saves
Established Member
Not doubting you or anything but make sure that you have everything reconnected and that the inlet tube to the t-body hasn't came off any. If extra air is getting in and the mass air is not reading it that that can cause the car to stall.

Just a thought Good luck

Silver10thAConv

Established Member
I agree with comp 04. Check all your connections for leaks. My car stalled twice when the weather turned cold and I installed the FIPK a couple days later. Didn't stall again for about a week. Then one day it stalled like four times in one day. Popped the hood and the filter was loose and only half way on the adapter. I reinstalled it and tightened everything and it hasn't stalled once since then(about 3 months and weather ranging from mid 70s to low 30s).

Wiked03

Established Member
OK well.. I went out and checked every thing and it looked good, so I said fug it and took it all off and reinstalled it (did not unplug battery.)

Then I went for a half hour drive (driving pretty hard too) and NO stall....

Maybe I had done something wrong the first time.... Only time will tell I guess.....

If it would stop fricken snowing I might get a chance to test it more!!! :mj:

Last edited:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
There's supposed to be snow for several more days. I've been having fun going sideways with my snow tires [I'm practicing, not playing. LOL]. :)

cdh027

Established Member
Wiked03, I tried the MAC CIA and had nothing but problems. I sent it back and bought the C&L intake (basically a 9" K&N bolted directly to the MAF) and it has been flawless. I'm not familiar with the FIPK kit, but does it go into the fenderwell with a 90 degree bend ? If so, that is where the problem is. The air takes the 90 degree bend and create turbulence. The MAF gets confused by the turbulence and hence the stall.

Hry, Carol Stream huh? Howdy nieghbor.

lethal

Established Member
Originally posted by cdh027
I'm not familiar with the FIPK kit, but does it go into the fenderwell with a 90 degree bend ? If so, that is where the problem is. The air takes the 90 degree bend and create turbulence. The MAF gets confused by the turbulence and hence the stall.

I would not be so sure about that. A great deal of assumption has been made on this topic. I know of many people who have a catback and CAI only car with the fender designed CAI. The K&N is not bent in any way shape or form. Its basically a big ass K&N with a bolt on connector and heat shield.

I wouldn't discount every CAI with a bend. While I will agree there is a possibility of problems, I think it varies greatly upon install, position of the MAF, and the quality of the units.

John

Yuckfou

Huge Member
Established Member
I had the same problem and returned the car to stock. The FIPK caused the stall almost constantly. Figured I’d re-install it after the SVT stall fix.

**** their “two weeks” mantra. Today I said screw it, drilled the new holes in the heat shield and rotated the MAF. I just returned from 75-mile drive and it didn't stall.

I forgot what a big difference the FIPK/AirCharger makes. Drill the holes and give it a shot.

cobra101

Established Member
Allot of people noticed the stall went away after a predator flash. This was the case for me. I am not sure if you were ever gonna do a flash, but if you are it may help your stall as well.

Users who are viewing this thread