Installed illuminated door sills - ignition wont work - fan dead - radio dead

twistedneck

Established Member
I just installed the illuminated door sill kit from blue oval industries - the OEM ford one. very simple install.... plugged the battery back in and they illuminated nicely just as planned. Then i tried to start the car up - nope. first off, i got an error that said 'fault in Tire pressure monitoring system' - the next scrolling note was 'fault in the charging system' - also the red lock icon is continuously blinking. lights come on no problem, when you put the key in the rpm and speed needles go end to end as normal, however try turning the key.. nothing. also the gas gauge registers zero fuel.

locks and windows work, and none of the normal check-able fuses are blown. any help appreciated I'm guessing i fried something. the install was simple, i didn't screw up the wiring. pulled the a-pillar and double checked - black wire spliced with black / yellow, red wire spliced with green / yellow. very easy.

I should also note there is a fast warning chime that comes on immediately when i turn the key to on - i've never heard that before - after about 5-8 warning bells it reverts to the normal startup chimes.

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
That sucks, I would take the sills out and plug in the old ones and see. Good luck

Yes that is the plan tomorrow just disconnect and put back to factory and see what happens.. there was no warning on the box that said 'be careful this $100 mod might destroy your mustang' lulz

5lho

Established Member
That's the thing with modern cars: systems are so cross-integrated. I'd say check the main harness fuse in the battery positive first. Where did you tap for power for the sills? Was it a plug and play? Both of my S197s had them factory so, I haven't needed to play with this.

twistedneck

Established Member
Issue solved!!!

I checked battery voltage it was fine 13. something. tore everything out - still screwed up. Then, I got desperate and started trying every harness around to see if something was loose - and there it was. the harness worked its way out a little bit during the re-install of the kick panel. all is well now!!!
Here is the culprit wire-harness.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread