Installed: FR500 Intake!!

Nazman

Established Member
mijon61 said:
I told Naz what rpms worked for me since I sold him the FR500 kit.
Hey brother what is up?

I moved the points around a bit after a couple 1/4 mile passes. Right now opening the runners just a tad higher at 5000, other than that the same.

Well getting ready to depart for the dyno we talk a bit later.

Nazman

Established Member
I'm back from the dyno and I do have some numbers......... :-D

All I'm going to say right now is the motor did not stop making power! I pulled to 7200RPMs and the curve was still pulling.

Did not losse any down low TQ, just a bit in the mid range (4600-6000RPMs) due to AF going rich (12.1:1). But the torque curve is very flat like on the 03s (very much for my surprise), I want to say that the TQ is prety much flat from 3000 to 7200RPMS!!!!!!! Peak TQ sufered a bit, but could be fixed with the AF correction.

On the HP production I can say that they are "even" at 6250RPMs where it peaked last time (before FR500 intake) but at 6700RPMs (where we stopped pulling on the last dyno with the stock ported intake) the FR500 it's making o/a 48RWHP more than the stock ported at the same RPM! :thumbsup:

Either way.....look for a thread with the dyno graph and all the other data!

To answer the question: Did I break 400RWHP???? :D :rolling: :D :beer:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
how did you determine that reversion pulses were hurting things down low?

how strong is the stepper motor (its a stepper motor, right?) that opens the butterflies?

how flexible is the msd window switch? i know nothing about them other than they process an rpm signal and turn voltage on and off. how many ons and offs does it give you?

as a road course nut, i certainly dig the 5.0 cammer engine and the fr500 bits.

i may end up with a cammer in a car someday and while the rest of the tune i can handle, the intake runner control seems left out of the equation from ford. they say that a harness and pcm will be available, but have said that for a few years now.

i appreciate your pioneering efforts.

forddp.jpg

JohnnyCobra

N/A Cobras rule
ShelbyGuy, I'm not Naz but I can answer your questions.

TQ & HP curves below 3000 rpm are about the same for the short and long runners. Reversion pulses, acting on the butterfly valves when they are closed for long runner mode, cause them to rattle, making a tappet like noise that some find disagreeable. The strategy is to run on the short runners to about 2800 rpm, then switch to long runners where they have TQ & HP advantage over the short runners, then back to the short runners above 5000 rpm where they have TQ & HP advantage.

The acuator is the same one used to operate the IMRC's on the '96-'98 Cobras. It is either on or off, no stepping. When it is on, the butterflies close, actuating the long runners. When it is off, the butterflies open, and the short runners are actuated. It is quite strong and actuates quickly. The butterflies have strong return springs that hold them in the open (short runner) position.

The MSD Digital Window Switch, MSD #8969, has a low and a high activation point. Each point can be adjusted in 100 rpm increments from 200-15,000 rpm. There is a NC (normally closed) wire and a NO (normally open) wire , so two points that could be NC or NO.

The FR500 parts are a sweet setup for the track. Torqe curve is nice and flat, while Horsepower keeps climbing linearly to the rev limit. It is very tractable and easily pulls '03-'04 SC Cobras with pullies and tunes.

JohnnyCobra :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread