Installed an Afco GT500 heat exchanger in car

my92gt

Established Member
Malcolm get working on the my carS twin(I have a zinc 03). I'm excited to see the results on your car. I have not been able to buy the intercooler adapter from Justin as a few things have come up financially. But as soon as I can I will buy it as it's the last mod I will need to buy.

Soap

Established Member
Afco GT500 Heat Exchanger (and fans?)
Bore the inlet and outlet of the intercooler
Justin Wheelers new inlet set up for the intercooler
3/4 heater hose
upgraded intercooler pump (and maybe a BAP on that?)

You need 1" hose and no fittings smaller than -16AN. Routing of the hose is critical too, as you want to remove as many fittings as possible.

--Joe

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Is the trunk mount tank a requirement? Is it because the normal reservoir would get overrun with hot coolant?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

It is a requirement to make this setup work. The heat exchanger cannot remove the heat from the system fast enough under WOT. The tank reserve feeds the blower in WOT.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
WHAT IS PROPER HOSE ROUTING FOR OPTIMAL COOLING?
TANK TO INTERCOOLER THEN TO HEAT EXCHANGER THEN BACK TO TANK?

If you're using an ice tank, it's tank > IC > HE > tank. You don't want all that heat coming straight off the intercooler back into the tank. Give the HE a chance to scrub a little bit of heat out of it before it hits the ice. The ice will last a little bit longer. Not much longer, but every little bit helps.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Justin's setup is
Tank --> HE --> IC --> Tank.
The fluid existing the HE will be at the coolest point in the entire system. That's what you want to feed into the IC.
If this was a dedicated track car that always used ice I'd possibly consider
Tank --> IC --> HE --> Tank
But really at that point you might as well delete the HE if that's your setup.

2003 Venomous

Established Member
How are you guys running lines from rear mounted tank to HE and IC and back? I have Justin Wheeler's kit as well and the lines are now 1 inch....and that is a huge hose to run! Just curious how others are doing it. My setup is about to change; just figured I would ask since I hate reinventing the wheel.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
How are you guys running lines from rear mounted tank to HE and IC and back? I have Justin Wheeler's kit as well and the lines are now 1 inch....and that is a huge hose to run! Just curious how others are doing it. My setup is about to change; just figured I would ask since I hate reinventing the wheel.

It is tough for sure. Joe ran his through the car. Under where back seat used to be, under pass seat, through kick area into wheel well and up. I've been considering something similar because of how short he got his hoses.

My goes from tank out rear of trunk area, curls around and towards front of car. Loosely follows fuel line route but not near driveshaft / exhaust area to front. Its tough for sure.

2003 Venomous

Established Member
It is tough for sure. Joe ran his through the car. Under where back seat used to be, under pass seat, through kick area into wheel well and up. I've been considering something similar because of how short he got his hoses.

My goes from tank out rear of trunk area, curls around and towards front of car. Loosely follows fuel line route but not near driveshaft / exhaust area to front. Its tough for sure.

I ran both hoses to pass rear compartment and then one under the pass front seat through firewall and inner wheel well. The other is out the bottom of the pass rear seat compartment through a huge rubber plug and then inside of the side skirts and then up to the inner wheel well. I see mine is about like others, thanks for the heads up.

Also, I bought a stock GT500 HE as money is getting tight on this long overdue project. Would you suggest cutting crash/impact bar to incorporate the HE or buying new as you did? Understanding of the route you chose, but did not know if you mocked it up with original bar and it was not practical or you just wanted a lighter weight alternative....

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I ran both hoses to pass rear compartment and then one under the pass front seat through firewall and inner wheel well. The other is out the bottom of the pass rear seat compartment through a huge rubber plug and then inside of the side skirts and then up to the inner wheel well. I see mine is about like others, thanks for the heads up.

Also, I bought a stock GT500 HE as money is getting tight on this long overdue project. Would you suggest cutting crash/impact bar to incorporate the HE or buying new as you did? Understanding of the route you chose, but did not know if you mocked it up with original bar and it was not practical or you just wanted a lighter weight alternative....

I went with the tubular crash bar because it was so much easier to work with. Just welded on two tabs to hang the HE. It also gives a lot of room around it to work. The weight savings is minimal. I don't have the numbers in front of me but we did weigh both stock and tubular and it was just a few lbs. Nothing like the fox body days when you'd save 30 + lbs.

Another reason for using the tubular is the factory crash bar is a pain to cut into. I modified mine a little for meth injection a few years ago and that steel is really hardened. Just tore up my drill bits etc.

You can definitely cut up the factory crash bar in the center and use it that way. I've seen it done although not sure how well it worked in terms of the bumper fitting back without issues. It'll be a tough cut and you'll have little room to work round.
When I put my bumper back it fit like a glove. No trimming or clearancing was needed inside the bumper which made the job easier.

buexdreux

Established Member
Just finished adding the GT500 H/E in my 04 and it fits like a glove! I replaced the AFCO dual pass with the 8” SPAL fans and I didn’t have to replace the wiring (even the relays are the same). It was an easy replacement after I had the tabs fab’d and welded. Here are a couple of pics.
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0284.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

buexdreux

Established Member
Thanks again to MalcolmV8 for the idea, the template (taken from the photos of his build), the H/E and linking me up with Donathen Racing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Reload469

Established Member
Subbed. I also went with Justin's kit and the EMP pump on my 3.4L build. So far I love it. Although I have had some issues with the pump cavitating in tight left hand turns. Any advice on fixing that? I'm currently using a rollover valve as mentioned above and it solved most of the cavitation but not all of it. I'd like to get it solved to avoid damaging that expensive @$$ pump lol

Soap

Established Member
Although I have had some issues with the pump cavitating in tight left hand turns. Any advice on fixing that? I'm currently using a rollover valve as mentioned above and it solved most of the cavitation but not all of it. I'd like to get it solved to avoid damaging that expensive @$$ pump lol

If it is only cavitating on hard turns then you need to put more water in the tank. The fluid level should never drop below the feed port no matter how hard you turn.

--Joe

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Thanks again to MalcolmV8 for the idea, the template (taken from the photos of his build), the H/E and linking me up with Donathen Racing!!!

You're very welcome. Love seen my design replicated, looks great and glad that helped.

Subbed. I also went with Justin's kit and the EMP pump on my 3.4L build. So far I love it. Although I have had some issues with the pump cavitating in tight left hand turns. Any advice on fixing that? I'm currently using a rollover valve as mentioned above and it solved most of the cavitation but not all of it. I'd like to get it solved to avoid damaging that expensive @$$ pump lol

Can you post pics of your trunk tank and pump setup showing the layout etc.? Cavitation has been a concern of mine too. How are you monitoring it or knowing when it cavitates?

Reload469

Established Member
You're very welcome. Love seen my design replicated, looks great and glad that helped.

Can you post pics of your trunk tank and pump setup showing the layout etc.? Cavitation has been a concern of mine too. How are you monitoring it or knowing when it cavitates?
I don't have any pictures on me right now, I'll have to take some when I'm home from work.

As far as monitoring the cavitation is concerned, you can hear the pump kind of "protest" a bit when it cavitates and the pitch changes for a few seconds before it corrects itself.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
As far as monitoring the cavitation is concerned, you can hear the pump kind of "protest" a bit when it cavitates and the pitch changes for a few seconds before it corrects itself.

I was wondering but figured no way he can hear that over this exhaust.... then I remembered that's just me lol.

Reload469

Established Member
I was wondering but figured no way he can hear that over this exhaust.... then I remembered that's just me lol.
Yeah the pump is loud af and I don't have a new trunk mat put in yet because my old one was trashed so we trashed it. There's nothing really to muffle it at this point. And I'm just running Stingers so it's not ungodly loud.

That pump really does move a crazy amount of water though. Usually for normal cruising I think I see like 10-20 degrees above ambient unless its ungodly hot. Haven't data logged any pulls yet. With any luck I'll be doing that tomorrow if you'd like me to send them your way.

Users who are viewing this thread