Installed an Afco GT500 heat exchanger in car

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Malcolm, Did you get flow numbers with the heads? I am curious how they compare to others.

I did not. I've seen flow number charts before comparing everyone and Livernois is the highest. Even more than Foxlake. It was a big part of why I chose them. Having them flowed was an extra $270 I think so I opted to skip.

Quick Strike

Established Member
That seems very high to flow the heads. Most reputable porters provide before and after porting numbers as part of the service. All of these guys make claims that few ever check. Mine were claimed to flow at a very high rate, but were lower when done independently by a trusted porter. They are still an excellent flowing head compared to other ports, but not the numbers originally quoted.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I thought it was high too but I wasn't sure if that's normal or not. I agree so many numbers thrown around its hard to know. I do know Livernois has been around a long time and I never hear anything bad about them. Most tend to agree all the CNC ports offered by Livernois and Foxlake etc. are all so close its not a big deal which one you use.

My heads at least came back looking like new. The prior porter screwed up my exhaust guides and they were leaking oil. Livernois repaired everything and put the 8 or 9 thread inserts in (I still need to count exactly how many threads). They also touched up the porting with their CNC machine.

To me it wasn't worth the extra cost to get exact flow numbers. I would have loved to have known but not for another $270. They'll flow well and work decent for me so good enough.

0Y4J73T0_-pNoOtVhAFhPgpSGFNL_TuW8qKru5bEhUQRpphYx8GZfDy-4HQKbUqvmcJXjbwk4dXoKYzf_88a4gU2U8SSjJAXRHm1RGzoF8KKmbGykbU3APh3LlS6blmeGt-WKDujmaUEKQ1saddKWxupZ5SoiiGdDAq59a-4toCj_uzsJtgk0KAuxHD3gsOkMUm83jnob1wCloCSFJvDlk0pV_GhpX7pYnnujE18fXWpqt4k8-e8sIeIo16w76MZxg4hk1G4G6LucoBC_gF7D_aP7t0Wb1dDlUWdNu1WisK08FXhdgB0sdHxGYQVqKvn43FPC7Q9X_HIFIM6nyocN21TYPu0_JYqhWBvmL7AOyXw6GB1bSDvLsQhGCADOoAPJrAjcSrIDzWmQx7KtgsK_8tg6BG3WmnXGZE9goTcbtz8FqdG55OcldgoEZOvzwMwObhAZvT5rw_audCFcBP3KyhAI6LmWoqdj9FpQgaxQ_K0C9xZpVAlCUdQywJRzffTubsPNW1TmGsxVrwWc7W0OC2JWz6d-JTH6SkaoKiI1AfP0G2ih6OQcJLj-V2sYFYEi4xxf1arywx3Sc0K_A5RrwygMFPj3_MLsJfqV4_JCQwL5rSqFiNjRBikR0OdHnf7QLv9tZCVyeDq_VN012vm6xHVtmVWjYR1T19HgGdsZA=w800-h600-no

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
SO do you think the GT500 HE will be better than the standard cobra one because the bumper blocks air flow for so much of it?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
SO do you think the GT500 HE will be better than the standard cobra one because the bumper blocks air flow for so much of it?

Drastically better. There's a huge amount of open space for the air to blow up and through it without the factory crash bar and foam insert. Not to mention dual 10" SPAL fans will make a big dent too. Once it's all together the data logs will do the final evaluation.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Drastically better. There's a huge amount of open space for the air to blow up and through it without the factory crash bar and foam insert. Not to mention dual 10" SPAL fans will make a big dent too. Once it's all together the data logs will do the final evaluation.
Great I am glad youre going to get some data on this. I currently have a KC with the HE deleted. To me it workes great my IAT2s are below 100 degrees nearly all the time. During WOT runs they do go up but come down very quickly. I do however dislike having ot have my AC on all the time. And like you said on hotter days it causes my engine temps to rise to uncomfortable levels. I have been playing around with the idea of going back to a dual fan set up.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
To me it workes great my IAT2s are below 100 degrees nearly all the time. During WOT runs they do go up but come down very quickly.

And there is the biggest problem with the KC. You said it yourself. Temps go up in WOT. That's the one time we absolutely care about IAT2 temps and need them cold and that's the one time the KC doesn't get the job done.

Yes it cools great in idle and normal driving but who cares? It's what happens WOT that counts.

I have tons of data logs of KC driving with the 2.9 Whipple and with the TVS. I have great base line data.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
And there is the biggest problem with the KC. You said it yourself. Temps go up in WOT. That's the one time we absolutely care about IAT2 temps and need them cold and that's the one time the KC doesn't get the job done.

Yes it cools great in idle and normal driving but who cares? It's what happens WOT that counts.

I have tons of data logs of KC driving with the 2.9 Whipple and with the TVS. I have great base line data.

Now i agree with you that the temps still rise. But is there any way to stop that from happening under boost? My thought process was that it would be better to start a run at 90 degrees and finish it at 120 than start at 115 and finish at 145. Maybe im confused on this. But a full quarter mile pull i usually see around 30 degree rise in temps. Plus it would seem to me that the temps come down quicker after a pull with the KC.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Yes I believe there is. I'll wait till I have results and data logs to back it up though.

Sub'ing for the results because I don't think there is. Not unless you just don't create any boost. Compressing air creates heat. You'd need a HUGE intercooler to extract all that heat.

I suppose if you had an intercooler mounted at the rear of the car, the heat would be dissipated in that long piping run, but you'd also lose a lot of the boost. That kind of setup would only work with a centrifugal blower or a turbo.

Sent from my BlackBerry. The blacker the 'Berry, the sweeter the use!

MineralCobra

Established Member
Im really looking forward to data log, the size difference is significant with the new intercooler, I'm sure the results will be interesting.

My only concern would be with the rebar and strength of it in case of an accident. I had a smilier style rebar from a well known company on a MK4 big turbo volkswagen. Ended up having an accident and rebar welds broke leaving the rebar on the freeway somewhere..

R3dfireCobra

Established Member
Looks awesome, love the giant dual fan setup. Puts my AFCO w/ fans to shame. Should have nice and cool IAT's. Mine currently doesn't run hotter than 130 even in warmer weather. Cant imagine what your IAT's will be.

bullitt2735

Established Member
I would think/hope this size heatexchanger, upgraded line at the intercooler to get rid of the bottleneck plus the 13gt500 pump would solve the issues. At least thats the route I was going to try, as the 13gt500 guys seem to be able to do 20 minute hdpe's much easier than our cobra's. Subbing for results

MalcolmV8

Established Member
plus the 13gt500 pump would solve the issues.

Nah I'm putting a real pump on :) Stewart E2512A. It has what is essentially a "boost a pump" built on the side of it driving the heck out of it. It should blast water like a fire hose. I'll post some video tests of it compared to stock at some point.
The only downside is that pump draws 25 amps. However it's key. You need incredible volume and flow for our cores to work at efficiency.

bullitt2735

Established Member
Nah I'm putting a real pump on :) Stewart E2512A.

Nice! I've been wanting to see someone try that pump on a cobra. Are you using the LPE version? I know a lot of the Chevy guys have been having a ton of luck with it. With the amount the stewart pump flows though you will need probably at least 1 inch hose through out to take really advantage of that pump I would have to guess but I'm to lazy to do math right now.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Malcolm have you ever tried or read about anyone retrofitting a "cool can" between the HE and IC to add cooling to the IC coolant? Years ago we did it with the gas line, so I thought your curiosity might have caused you to experiment with something like that.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Nice! I've been wanting to see someone try that pump on a cobra. Are you using the LPE version? I know a lot of the Chevy guys have been having a ton of luck with it. With the amount the stewart pump flows though you will need probably at least 1 inch hose through out to take really advantage of that pump I would have to guess but I'm to lazy to do math right now.

No the Lingenfelter version of the pump is discontinued. The Stewart pumps used to ship with the electronics driving them at 9 amps. Lingenfelter would reprogram the electronics to 19 amps and sell them for an additional $100.
Stewart now sells the pumps programed at 25 amps so it's a win win. Standard price and more flow.

Yes the hose is ridiculous. It's almost an inch inside diameter, 0.875". It looks like radiator hose its so big, in fact its sold as coolant replacement hose. I'm still not sure how I'm even going to route that... work in progress.

https://www.siliconeintakes.com/ele...ns/reinforced-silicone-heater-hose-p-644.html

Malcolm have you ever tried or read about anyone retrofitting a "cool can" between the HE and IC to add cooling to the IC coolant? Years ago we did it with the gas line, so I thought your curiosity might have caused you to experiment with something like that.

I have not. I'm vaguely familiar but would need to do more reading. Will put on the list of things to look into.

Users who are viewing this thread