Inputon CR for E-85

TurboFox54

Established Member
I am ordering new pistons for my Teksid build and am pondering running E-85 in it. It is a stroker motor and has an F-1c feeding it. I was running 20 psi on my old motor on pump nand meth with a 9.2:1 cr. Does anyone have a reccomendation for a CR on E-85? I was thinking in the 10;1 range to give the motor more response and power off boost.

DTUB

BFTD
Established Member

I'm building a 10.1cr 5.0 stroker 3.4 whipple and my tuner is telling me 17lbs is max on E85.

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
I believe E-98 has a octane rating of 115 vs E-85 which is about 105. I would figure the increase to E-98 would be enough octane increase.:shrug:

Last edited:

TurboFox54

Established Member
well we dont have any e 98 available here yet and spraying the meth allows me to cool the intake air down. I was seeing 30 to 40 degree iat drop with the meth on the last motor.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Didnt know if you were planning to buy drums, i wouldnt trust the quality of pump E85 with that narrow of a window for that comp and boost. While the intake air temp decrease is nice, i dont think i would recommend using meth and E85. The cooling property of E85 alone is enough without adding methanol, if it gets too cold it may have problems burning all the fuel.

Jad G

Broke but fast
Established Member
I'm building a 10.5:1 motor for my race car which will run E85/E98 with an 88mm on B heads

Teej281

Established Member
Umm...I doubt there is a limit to the boost you can run on e85. If your tuner told you that, he's probably not a very good tuner. If he was worth his salt he would tell you run what you want and I'll tune it accordingly. You can definitely run more than 17psi of boost with e85 and a 3.4. One of the guys on here is running over 20psi with 10:1 with his 2.9 and I expect 800+ to the tires, and he tuned it himself with sniper iirc.

Op, I'd go for 10:1 to be honest. You're running a more efficient blower setup than twin screw folks are, so you have that advantage as well. But you don't have the low end they do either. So I'd go 10:1 for more off boost power. Plus having more off boat power will help you get up in rpm to where you do make boost for even more power. And I wouldn't use meth and eth together. Two different alcohols being burned together doesn't make much sense. The e85 is enough to cool the intake charge. I mean people supplement petrol fuels with a 50/50 mix of meth and water. You're cooling it with 85/15 ethanol, which should cool the charge right before entering the chamber so that's the best place for it to cool.

TurboFox54

Established Member
Thanks for the responses. I am leaning toward a 10:1 setup to keep the off boost power up. I will prolly take the meth off also as I prefer to keep the setup as simple as possible. The meth does its job but it adds another factor into the tuning and if it fails you are screwed. Ill be ordering pistons from Diamond today, hopefully they have them in stock so I can get the motor together soon.n

TurboFox54

Established Member
As an added bonus I can offset the cost of the 105 lbs injectors with the sale of the meth kit. :beer: Ill keep everyone posted on the progress and outcome.

Last edited:

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
From what I've seen, the percentage of Ethanol doesn't make much difference--whether E60 or E98. 10:1 would be good.

SSeatr

Established Member
in my stroker i went kellog crank eagle rods and manley flat tops w/ valve relief, 99 cobra heads and i came out to 9.98:1

i would shoot for 10:1 it will make monster power w/ boost and the E85 keeps detonation at bay so why the hell not.. 8.5:1 is a thing of the past!! haha

gt347mustang

Established Member
From what I've seen, the percentage of Ethanol doesn't make much difference--whether E60 or E98. 10:1 would be good.

No, this is incorrect.

I still think youll be fine running upwards of 10:1. Im wishing I had gone more like 11:1 with my new turbo motor(currently at ~10:1).

Ironhand

Banned
10:1 with E-85 seems to be the sweet spot for these motors. If a tuner told be 17psi was the limit then I'd find a new tuner. He seems to be lacking in the ability to tune cars with different fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread