Inline 6 vs V6

Klay

Established Member
Ok so one of my co-workers started to tell me today how much better an inline 6 motor is compared to a v6. He said they make more torque and are overall make more power. Now I will admit that I don't really know what the differences are other than the cylinder layout but he couldn't provide any facts to back up his statements. He simply said that it was better and that I was stupid and uneducated about cars for not believing him.

Truthfully, it doesn't really matter to me if one is better than the other cause I don't care for either type of engine anymore. I just thought maybe some could enlighten me as to how the cylinder layout can cause one engine to produce more torque than the other.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
i think it has to do with all the cylinders being in line and being able to produce/transmit more torque though the crankshaft than being opposed (V). im sure theres better explanations out there but pretty much they do produce more power/tq liter per liter than a V6 motor would, if the same exact conditions could be replicated for both.

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
Old diesel guys swear by inline engines, 5 or 6 cyl. Granted, those engines are quite a bit bigger than what you're thinking of... and not gas.. lol

If Im not mistaken, and I probably am, inline engines produce less vibration and dont cause as much wear and tear on mechanical components.. As far as numbers produced, that has too many variables to take into consideration when comparing the two.. unless they were exactly the same, barring cylinder placement, they should make the same power? Thats a question, cuz I just dont effin know, lol.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
as far as HP/TQ numbers, i dont think it matters. inlines generally produce more torque because they usually have a longer stroke(usually, there are definate exceptions such as the previous skyline engine). i mean, they both follow the same laws of physics and thermodynamics, correct? all things being equal(bore/stroke/exhaust system/runner length and width/etc) i bet the difference in the numbers would be negligable. i have nothing backing me up on any of this, but it makes sense to me.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Harmonically speaking, an inline motor has less internal vibration/is more effcient than a comporable V motor. Just like JasonFC said.

Klay

Established Member
Oh ok, that makes more sense now. So really, the difference is neglible given everything else is the same. Thanks for the replies.

chevysRslow

Established Member
An I6 has a power stroke on every rotation of the crank, that helps the tq curve.

Huh?? The number of power strokes is the same I6 vs V6.

The I6 is directionally better. It's inherently balanced first and second order whereas the V6 will have some second order inbalance. The I6 will also have a bit more flexibility in tuning the intake and exhaust ports because there's more package space.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
packaging an I is easier than a V in a semi. look how narrow the nose of a kenworth T600 is.

Hes right, with as narrow as the frame rails in a semi are, a V of that size wouldnt fit. 95% of the time, the difference in V or Inline is a question of fit.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I6:
American%20Trucker%20Listings%20Manager%5CStraight%20Truck%5C27702-Trucks%20at%20Hand%5CThumbnail%20Photo.jpg

V8:
1987%20Mack%20Superliner%20Dump%20Truck%20(1).jpg

would be a really tight squeeze and a lot of work to put one in a T600.

aaandht

Established Member
Its also a much straighter downward stroke, gives more torque. And its more than just "negligible"

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Its also a much straighter downward stroke, gives more torque. And its more than just "negligible"

No it isnt... think about it. All strokes are straight with respect to the crank, as all cylinder bores are straight.

Users who are viewing this thread