Info on Porting heads?

backwoods

Established Member
Called the machine shop to possibly port my heads they said they could do it but, they were worried about hitting water jackets since they have never done 4v heads. Any info on porting heads and intakes for the 4v's out there?
Thanks

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Good advice, don't remove a lot of material as that will only serve to reduce power. Thin the center divider, open the seat IDs and call it a day.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I'd be weary about going with a shop that's never ported 4V heads before . It's probably a better idea to send them to a shop that has a lot of experience in the intricacies of and techniques of porting these particular heads.

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
I'd be weary about going with a shop that's never ported 4V heads before . It's probably a better idea to send them to a shop that has a lot of experience in the intricacies of and techniques of porting these particular heads.

+100000000000 if they have never done it before, you don't want to be their first....

:beer:

jacker1991

Established Member
This is one of those moments when you don't want a virgin touching any of your heads. Find someone with experience. :D

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
+100000000000 if they have never done it before, you don't want to be their first....:beer:
This is one of those moments when you don't want a virgin touching any of your heads. Find someone with experience. :D

If a person know head porting and airflow dynamics they can port a 4v head. If they've succesfully ported 2v heads they can port a 4v head. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work on these things. The highest CFM I've seen from a set of C heads is from a set that was ported by a place that never touched a 4v before doing those heads. They removed little material, but that which was removed was taken from the area that mattered most.

Whoever ports them should be told to not enlarge the port beyond that of a stock intake gasket.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread