Infamou$ is going to Texas!!!

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Well since our return from Australia the wife and I have been looking into where we could go with similar weather to the Gold Coast with good cost of living and job opportunities... All signs pointed to Texas.

I was recently offered a job with TxDOT and just got my Visa status over the weekend so we're just waiting on the official word of our house sale on Wednesday. Providing everything goes through we'll be packing up the L and southern bound at the end of the month!

We will be going to Austin so any fellow L members in the area who want to get together and show us around sometime the Beer is on me! :beer:

Any good advice on good places to live in the area would be nice too. We will be looking to rent for a few months as we get to know the area.

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Thanks man... If we don't have a chance to hook up before we go you'll just have to visit!

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
I would recommend staying out of Austin proper, but moving instead to one of it's surrounding areas. As a Native Texan, it absolutely breaks my heart in two to admit that our capitol city is full of hippies and faggots. I will say this though; once you get out of the city, it's nothing much more than laid back, easy-goin' countryfolk who would generally give the shirts off of their backs to help a neighbor. Incredibly awesome scenery as well.....

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Congrats! Another Canadian coming to TX. You're going to love it! I have a friend in Austin that owns a few bars so when I make it up that way I'll holler at you and we'll be drinking for free lol.

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
I would recommend staying out of Austin proper, but moving instead to one of it's surrounding areas. As a Native Texan, it absolutely breaks my heart in two to admit that our capitol city is full of hippies and faggots. I will say this though; once you get out of the city, it's nothing much more than laid back, easy-goin' countryfolk who would generally give the shirts off of their backs to help a neighbor. Incredibly awesome scenery as well.....

I hear Austin is pretty liberal and that their slogan is "keep Austin weird" I guess that explains a few things... Many major cities have their flaws. I have heard great things about San Antonio as well and know some people make the drive.. I guess we'll see how we like it once we're there. We will probably try a 3 month rental at first then go from there.

Congrats! Another Canadian coming to TX. You're going to love it! I have a friend in Austin that owns a few bars so when I make it up that way I'll holler at you and we'll be drinking for free lol.

Sounds good man! BTW-Who is the other Canadian that is going?

RMoore92

Established Member
Well since our return from Australia the wife and I have been looking into where we could go with similar weather to the Gold Coast with good cost of living and job opportunities... All signs pointed to Texas.

Why would you leave Gold Coast? This is the real question!

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Why would you leave Gold Coast? This is the real question!

Well that's easy.. Too much work to get my Lightning there! HAHAH just kidding.. I did see one RHD L there and they are worth like 80k! We had our house still back here in Canada and had a bunch of traveling lined up. We are still considering going back there in the future. Just trying to experience as many places as we can :)

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
Check out North/West Austin or 360/Capital Texas Hwy. 360 or 620 area is nice and scenic..

Shoot me a pm when you get to town. I'm always down for some free beer..:beer:

Last edited:

wildride02gt

Established Member
Austin is awesome. True, Austin proper/ downtown area is weird, and mainly college kids, hippies, and broke artists. Best bet would be to look to the north and east, as far as affordability. I know folks in Cedar Park, Round Rock, Leander, Pflugerville, Taylor, Elgin, Dripping Springs areas. All are happy, with good, affordable, comfortable, safe homes and neighborhoods. A higher bracket would put you up in the Lake Travis area, and most of that stuff is BIG bank type, but you might find a steal, or a wheel and deal situation.
Congrats on the new job! Ya'll will love TX, the people there will make you feel right at home, like you belong. I've missed it ever since I left. Also, the economy is in much better shape than the rest of the nations.

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Check out North/West Austin or 360/Capital Texas Hwy. 360 or 620 area is nice and scenic..

Shoot me a pm when you get to town. I'm always down for some free beer..:beer:

Definitely!

Austin is awesome. True, Austin proper/ downtown area is weird, and mainly college kids, hippies, and broke artists. Best bet would be to look to the north and east, as far as affordability. I know folks in Cedar Park, Round Rock, Leander, Pflugerville, Taylor, Elgin, Dripping Springs areas. All are happy, with good, affordable, comfortable, safe homes and neighborhoods. A higher bracket would put you up in the Lake Travis area, and most of that stuff is BIG bank type, but you might find a steal, or a wheel and deal situation.
Congrats on the new job! Ya'll will love TX, the people there will make you feel right at home, like you belong. I've missed it ever since I left. Also, the economy is in much better shape than the rest of the nations.

Great info! Thanks for that.

GoTime

BooWho?
Established Member
Best of luck to you Chris.:beer:

That will be quite the trek for you for the DaSilva cruise in September.:rolling:

Photo Gallery.......................Website.........................Modifications
sig07new.jpg

Have a great day eh !___________________________________Dave

steve5575

Established Member
We'll welcome you with open arms. Where you want to live completely depends on what you want to spend. You can buy a condo downtown for several hundred thousand (not sure about size), you can buy a house in Pemberton Heights for $2-4M (downtown) Terrytown for $800k-1.5M, Allendale for $400-600k. Bascially there are a ton of nice areas around downtown that are great but pretty spendy. You can get a normal $200k house about 10-12 miles around town very easily. Hell, you can get a place on Lake Austin for $8M if you want.

There are all the typical bars downtown always with live music. If you like pubs The Flying Saucer is always my favorite at "The Triangle".

Welcome!

P.S. I used to own a Lightning, does that count for something? Now we own a Jeep SRT-8 (should have stuck with Ford).

semperfimrn1

Established Member
nice!

your going to love it here..im down to hang out..i have a gt and mach but no lightning lol

austin is nice and live mentioned above be sure to check out the suburbs of the city..you'll love it down here..it'll get hot during the summer but you wont see as much COLD or SNOW like you did up there lol...our winters can get cold but our winters normally are like 50s lol

svtfordracing01

SilverStorm
Established Member
Man, Austin sounds a lot like Portland, OR. Liberals, hippies, college kids, broke artists, and a large gay population. Oh, and Portland's slogan is Keep Portland Weird. People have that as bumper stickers.

Anyways, congrats on your move!

jeffthagiraffe

Established Member
Good state to choose a move lol. My brother go's to school in san Marcos which is right inbetween Austin and san Antonio. It is a really nice place to live and has a river flowing through the middle of town. Where you can float, drink or have a good time.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Man, Austin sounds a lot like Portland, OR. Liberals, hippies, college kids, broke artists, and a large gay population. Oh, and Portland's slogan is Keep Portland Weird. People have that as bumper stickers.

Anyways, congrats on your move!

Austin is NOTHING like Portland. two completely different places, and I happen to like them both LOL! but Austin wins out.

OP: best place to live IMHO is Round Rock. traffic is going to be a bitch no matter where you go. Round Rock has been on the top places to live for awhile now. Hutto (home of HMBRE) is also a decent and growing spot. I live in a subdivision called Ryans Crossing and there are always homes for sale there. The Central Texas area is one place that was not hit very hard by the housing bust so prices are not as low as they are in some parts of the country but neither are they overly pricey.

you are not allowed in the state without a pick'em up and at least two weapons however. lacking those you will require a state issued visa which will allow you temporary residence and give you 90 days to aquire said pick'up truck and weapons.

Last edited:

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Thanks for all the info! Traffic is not a huge concern as Toronto was voted WORST commute times in the world recently (more so than LA). So anything will be better. We have looked in Round Rock and it looks pretty nice. Again, we'll be renting fully furnished for 3 months or so (our stuff is going in storage for now) until we get to know the area. Then will look at purchasing something.

Users who are viewing this thread