Incredibly unlucky way to go

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Reminds me of that video floating around where that motorcyclist dies after a tire comes off a Volkswagon Golf from the opposite lane and nails him.
Hopefully it was an instant death.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

i saw that on the news last night. almost drove that way yesterday too.

wheel/tire came off some guys cadillac and went for a stroll. you can be the lawyers are going to be reaming that poor guys cornhole. if he's lucky, it was a tire shop that neglected to tighten the lug nuts properly and their insurance will pay.

i was driving on the 5 last year and saw a tire/wheel bounce over the cender divider wall and slam into the side of a car driving ahead of me. luckily that car didnt freak out and cause a big accident. he calmly moved over and pulled off to the shoulder. i didnt even see where the tire after it happened so fast.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Damn, that's some unlucky shit right there.
I was driving my father's car home with him in it last winter after truck shopping for me. The car 1 car in front of me had it's wheel come off, just missed us and went over the side of the overpass to the road below. Didn't see it on the news so I guess it missed everyone. Happens more than you'd like to think.

My question is: How does a wheel just fall off without rattling around first and alerting the driver something isn't right?

Black2010

Established Member
I've seen it happen when a wheel hub failed on my brother in laws truck. The hub itself was defective and broke in half and the wheel/tire came off and we skidded to a stop on the front bumper.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
That would suck. It looks like the Hyundai was likely traveling in stop and go traffic when it happened. Considering the short distance between it and the Cadillac that lost the wheel, and the fact that the struck vehicle ended up stopped in its lane without drifting and hitting another vehicle. Even if he saw it coming I doubt he could have swerved to avoid it.

cwlanders

Established Member
Something similar happened to my cousin not too long ago. He had just got his tires rotated and had a wheel come off on the interstate on his way home. Thankfully nobody was hurt, but it's never good when you are driving and see one of your wheels pass you. It sucks that someone at the shop forgetting to tighten some bolts could end up killing someone.

LightningLou

Established Member
I've seen a tire come flying off a ladies suv once in GA, but luckily it rolled right in front of oncoming traffic and missed all the cars that were at the stoplight when it came to a stop in some bushes. Really crazy to see happen though, and seems to be a pretty common occurrence that can likely be traced to sloppy maintenance unless the lugs or hub actually fail for some odd reason.

I had the opposite issue from a local tire shop recently where they torqued my lug nuts to over 200ft lbs on my Contour SVT after replacing my tires. I was really pissed when I had to bust out my breaker bar and literally step on it to break my lugs loose when I was rotating tires... I was more worried about my damn studs snapping rather than my lug nuts coming loose. Stupid bastards.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I worked a crash many years ago where a set of tandem tires came off of a trailer going west on I-264, crossed the open median, and smashed head on into an RX-7. Driver was seriously messed up, but lived.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Not that he would have survived, but, to coin a term from one of my high school football coaches.."keept your GD head on a swivel for Christ sake!"

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, so sad. He was on his way to work at a hospital. He and his wife were planning a vacation. Now she is planning a funeral. His wife said "I know he went in peace because they said it was so instant."

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
That would suck. It looks like the Hyundai was likely traveling in stop and go traffic when it happened. Considering the short distance between it and the Cadillac that lost the wheel, and the fact that the struck vehicle ended up stopped in its lane without drifting and hitting another vehicle. Even if he saw it coming I doubt he could have swerved to avoid it.

At 230, while there may be some traffic, it wouldn't have been stop and go. It would have been 70-80 mph going southbound. The fact that he just stopped in the middle of the lane and didn't hit anything is puzzling to me, too. I'm guessing the driver may have seen it coming and hit the brakes hard and froze.

Coosawjack

Established Member
WOW.....how horrible!!??:(
We were in my 1995 Camaro Z-28 Vert when the same thing happened but the tire bounced in front of us and went 30 feet over us....we were going about 75 MPH at the time too....would have been fatal I'm sure!!:eek:
No way to prepare for this kinda thing!!:confused:

cbj5259

Established Member
We face death hundreds of times a day and don't even think about it. When you drive your life is basically in the hands of someone you don't know who is driving in the opposite direction of you...yet you have faith that this unknown person will stay in their lane and not veer into you at the last second. When you start to think about all of the things that could possibly kill you everyday, it's pretty astounding that most of us live until we are elderly.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
My question is: How does a wheel just fall off without rattling around first and alerting the driver something isn't right?
I agree. Especially if you aren't driving that fast. I "assume" you can hear the rattling and clanking going on before said wheel comes flying off. It might happen too fast on a freeway/highway though.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I agree. Especially if you aren't driving that fast. I "assume" you can hear the rattling and clanking going on before said wheel comes flying off. It might happen too fast on a freeway/highway though.
The driver side rear wheel came off my cobra and hit the windshield of a car in the oncoming left turn lane, it happened right before the intersection. Was going between 40-45mph. There was a slight ticking noise, but no vibration to indicate something serious.

After closer inspection I came to the conclusion someone had loosened my lug nuts as the only missing stud was the one with a locking lug nut. And all the other wheels the lug nuts were loose except the locking ones. I don't know why there were no vibrations. But the other driver and I were very lucky.

I still have that wheel. This happened back in '03 IIRC.

barstowpo

Established Member
I lost a wheel on my trailer. It was raining and dark and I had no idea. Not sure where it came off but it could have been in 3 different states. It suffered a bearing failure that caused the whole drum and hub to come off. I checked accident logs and news reports for the route covered and found no reports of accidents.

Users who are viewing this thread