Increasing Horsepower - Still being N/A

01CobraFlow

Established Member
Whats good guys, so i wanted to ask for some opinions on how to increase my cars horsepower while still keeping it street legal and naturally aspirated. I also want a set of comps cams but i need a set of cams that doesn't require a supercharger or NO2. So i have a build list with a bunch of items that i have been looking into recently, note that i have bought some work into my car already including JLT CAI, Stage 2 Clutch, Lightweight Flywheel, & 31 spline drive shaft. Let me know if there's anything else that's not on my build list that would help.

My Build List So Far - ✓ = Bought & Installed
  • JLT CAI ✓
  • BBK Twin 65mm Throttle Body
  • Bama SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner
  • JBA Cat4ward Shorty Headers (i know longtubes are better but there illegal)
  • Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
  • Magnaflow Catted Tru-X X-Pipe
  • GMS 4V Hot-Street Coil Pack (Any Goood?)
  • Steeda Underdrive Pulleys (Serious Opinions about this one)

clbailey

Established Member
Whats good guys, so i wanted to ask for some opinions on how to increase my cars horsepower while still keeping it street legal and naturally aspirated. I also want a set of comps cams but i need a set of cams that doesn't require a supercharger or NO2. So i have a build list with a bunch of items that i have been looking into recently, note that i have bought some work into my car already including JLT CAI, Stage 2 Clutch, Lightweight Flywheel, & 31 spline drive shaft. Let me know if there's anything else that's not on my build list that would help.

My Build List So Far - ✓ = Bought & Installed
  • JLT CAI ✓
  • BBK Twin 65mm Throttle Body
  • Bama SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner
  • JBA Cat4ward Shorty Headers (i know longtubes are better but there illegal)
  • Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
  • Magnaflow Catted Tru-X X-Pipe
  • GMS 4V Hot-Street Coil Pack (Any Goood?)
  • Steeda Underdrive Pulleys (Serious Opinions about this one)

Hp gains from pullies are so minimal I wouldnt take the chance of breaking.

Coil packs not required. Fomoco are just fine. If your going for max hp go to a flow through design exhaust such as slp lm1 not magnaflow chambered muffler systems. Long tubes arent illegal just need cats or the appearance of cats with the obd readiness cleaned off the pcm or 02 sensor simulators. Again, throttle body not needed and can actually lower power.

Look into a lim spacer a good intake long tubes with least restrictive exhaust after them cams and a tune. Other stuff is just fluff. Without touching the lower end dont expect numbers over 360 and thats being generous.

Just ghost the forums for a few weeks and youll gain more knoweldge.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
JLT CAI nope
BBK Twin 65mm Throttle Body nope
Bama SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner get a dyno tune
JBA Cat4ward Shorty Headers (i know longtubes are better but there illegal) only if you must
Magnaflow Catted Tru-X X-Pipeonly if you must
GMS 4V Hot-Street Coil Pack (Any Goood?)nope
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys (Serious Opinions about this one)a very good mod, also get their hydraboost and water pump pulleys

31 spline driveshafts are for automatics

Cams are a great mod but you can't go too wild with when using shory headers.

Regarding the comment about pulleys hp gains being mild, My Mach gained 18rwhp at 6300rpm with them.

RWHP over 360 is easily acheived with longtubes and cams.

Last edited:

Trogoth

Established Member
I'd recommend catless if you can, keep the stock midpipe and just swap it over for inspection. The throttle body and coilpacks won't net you much at all. The UDPs are great, I have the steedas on my car.

You should look into the 3/8 intake spacer. I've seen people with anywhere from 6-15 HP in gains on the dyno from that. Only 100 bucks and fairly easy to install.

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
I thought after reading how much damage the udp could create with the oil pump gears that they were a big no on a high rev motor like these?

Cobra_GATA

Established Member
JLT CAI nope
JBA Cat4ward Shorty Headers (i know longtubes are better but there illegal) only if you must
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys (Serious Opinions about this one)a very good mod, also get their hydraboost and water pump pulleys

Regarding the comment about pulleys hp gains being mild, My Mach gained 18rwhp at 6300rpm with them.

In keeping with this train of thought, what should I do performance wise next on a 2001 Cobra? I currently have 3.90 gears, Bassani Catted X-pipe, Bassani Extreme Cat back and a K&N.

Regarding pulleys, how do I know if the current pulleys are stock or aftermarket?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

clbailey

Established Member
Yea I agree with the hp gains from udp just not worth the increased risk to my motor. Use all but the crank pulley if you still want to squeeze a bit more.

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
most udp kits use the factory dampener and use another pulley under it... if your dampener pulley is ugly and slightly rusty looking.. its factory lol

01CobraFlow

Established Member
JLT CAI nope

31 Spline driveshaft i bought was designed for the 01 cobra it fits manual.

01CobraFlow

Established Member
Hp gains from pullies are so minimal I wouldnt take the chance of breaking.

Coil packs not required. Fomoco are just fine. If your going for max hp go to a flow through design exhaust such as slp lm1 not magnaflow chambered muffler systems. Long tubes arent illegal just need cats or the appearance of cats with the obd readiness cleaned off the pcm or 02 sensor simulators. Again, throttle body not needed and can actually lower power.

Look into a lim spacer a good intake long tubes with least restrictive exhaust after them cams and a tune. Other stuff is just fluff. Without touching the lower end dont expect numbers over 360 and thats being generous.

Just ghost the forums for a few weeks and youll gain more knoweldge.

"For performance gains, definitely go with a straight-through design muffler (ie - Dynomax, Magnaflow, Bassani, Borla, etc, etc) instead of a chambered style (ie - Flowmaster) muffler." catback gain's for 01 cobra??? | Mustang Forums at StangNet

Your thinking flowmasters

01CobraFlow

Established Member
Speaking of cams which set of cams should i get with the build list i put together, minus the udp there iffy and the coil packs which are a waste of money.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I turn 8000 rpm with a BBK under drive water pump pulley, 00R alt and power steering pulleys, and an ATI damper. If you keep compromising, you won't be happy with your results.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
minus the udp there iffy .
UDPs and small diameter dampers are not the same. Underdrive pulleys are absolutely safe and are installed on the hydraboost pump, water pump and alternator. The small diameter dampers are what some people are questioning due to a few oil pump failures.

Cobra_GATA

Established Member
the best cams for you will be determined by the powerband shape you desire, your rearend gears and how you plan to use the car.

I have 3.90 gears and the car will be used as a weekend car. It will not really see any drag strip action except every now and then just mainly for fun to see how I can do. Would like it to be a fun and quick car to drive around the country roads here in Tennessee. Maybe a street race every now and then if the opportunity presents itself.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I have 3.90 gears and the car will be used as a weekend car. It will not really see any drag strip action except every now and then just mainly for fun to see how I can do. Would like it to be a fun and quick car to drive around the country roads here in Tennessee. Maybe a street race every now and then if the opportunity presents itself.

Where would you like the power increase to occur: 3000-6000, 4000-6000, 4500-6500, 5000-7000?

RPM4DAZ

Because stock sucks!!
Established Member
I am of the opinion that every little thing helps and adds up to a total sum. What you use depends on how well it works for the driving experience not just the numbers in the end. That said, under drive pulleys and cold air intake a must. The throttlebody won't give you that big of an increase at the maximum number. But, it will give better throttle response and fatten the midrange power some. Make sure the intake is port matched to the thorttlebody. An intake spacer will help add some volume to the plenum area. This can help to fatten up the upper mid to high rpm power some. A simple port and clean up job to the intake manifold will help some too. I wouldn't shorten the runner length dramatically though on a street car unless a fairly short gear has been chosen. Shorty headers do not obviously scavenge as well as a full length header, but are better than the factory log manifolds. If could be done legally go for a set of mid length JBAs or Bassanis. Headers usually become more effective when valve timing ( cam duration ) increases. Use high flow cats if it can be done legally. Definitely a dyno tune from a good tuner when done. The X-pipe won't do much for performance over an H-pipe. But, will change the sound/pitch of the exhaust note. Definitely use some sort of crossover. Now, cams can make a big difference on the driveability and fun factor. A simple set of Comp #106060s will work great and increase the envelope of usability too. Install them on a 112' lob/sep. To help get the most out of your combo I would deck the heads about .015" and increase the compression some. You will pick up throttle response, horsepower, torque and mileage too. The cams and decking of the heads will get you the largest and most noticeable changes to your ride. The other stuff is basic icing on the cake to assist in the whole sum of things. Plan it out, take your time and you will see pretty big increases in the performance capability of your car.

Users who are viewing this thread