In the market for for GT500, couple questions

Vi_king500

Established Member
Hello All,

I am in the market for my ninth mustang, and my first shelby, I did have a terminator cobra, so that was the closest thing to it.

I am currently working with a 30k budget but lower would always be better, I have seen quite a few in my price range 07-09 years.

How big is the difference from 09 to 2010 beside the appearance changes of the car and the updated interior? So engine, suspension, overall quality?
Should I really hold out and see if I can find a 10 in my price range?

I would love a 10 over the 07-09. But I do not think I can find one for 30k or less, mileage not a factor either. Of course if anyone had any leads on a 2010 for that price please let me know, I however have come up short. :rollseyes

tangermean

Established Member
I picked my '10 up for 35 flat with 27,000 miles. I know 5 grand is a lot of money but after having an 09 gt and now this I am glad I spent the extra and got the '10, I couldn't however justify the 7-10 grand more for the 11-12's in the area. I also had a lot of equity in my trade in which brought the total cost well below the 30k mark which helped my decision tremendously.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The '10 has a better suspension than the '07 - '09. If you like the design, skip the '10 and try to stretch for an '11 or forego the design and stick with an '07 - '09. The '10 is like the bastard or mixed breed GT500. It's a great car, but not desired by the public at large. The '11+ guys don't like it because it's too heavy with the iron block and older cars' technology. The '09- guys don't like it because it looks like the '11+. If you looked up "transitional model year" in the dictionary, the 2010 GT500 would be THE poster boy pictured. The best and the worst all rolled into one car.

Speedboosted

Established Member
There is nothing wrong with a 2010. Think of it in the same way that there is nothing wrong with the 3v. People would rather have the coyote, yes, but they both will be great cars. I would figure out what body style you like best. Coming from a New Edge, you'll love either interior but the 10+ is better by a little bit. Also forget suspension, they both suck, as do pretty much all stock Shelby suspensions.

If you like the 07-09, get an 07-09 and do what you want to it. Insurance will also be a tiny amount cheaper, but the 10 gets better gas mileage if I remember correctly. 10 also has knock sensors so something to keep in mind if you're going to be modding a lot

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
There is nothing wrong with a 2010. Think of it in the same way that there is nothing wrong with the 3v. People would rather have the coyote, yes, but they both will be great cars.

I'd say a better comparison would be a 93 GT vs. 94 GT.

I'd get the 10, but at the Right angle, those 07-09s look tough.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
The '10 has a better suspension than the '07 - '09. If you like the design, skip the '10 and try to stretch for an '11 or forego the design and stick with an '07 - '09. The '10 is like the bastard or mixed breed GT500. It's a great car, but not desired by the public at large. The '11+ guys don't like it because it's too heavy with the iron block and older cars' technology. The '09- guys don't like it because it looks like the '11+. If you looked up "transitional model year" in the dictionary, the 2010 GT500 would be THE poster boy pictured. The best and the worst all rolled into one car.

Not entirely true.

The 2009 King of the Road (KOR) was the foundation for the engine changes applied to the 2010 model year. It was carried over from 2009, into the 2010s, bolt for bolt. I believe the only difference was the 2010 had a different clutch than the 2009 KOR.

What factors lead you to conclude the 2010's are not desirable by the general public? I think just the opposite. The market is flooded with 11-12's. They are easily found for sale, and have no inherent performance adavantage over a 2010.

The one year run, and first major styling update, makes a 2010 very collectible to the original owner. Most of them bought them new, and won't let them go. I had to wait a year to find the right 2010 to buy, and since then, I haven't found another color/combo. So they are rarer (harder to find for sale), by my definition, not "less desirable."

OP, about the 2010's....

Factory cold air intake, knock sensors, and the 2010 is the last year of that wonderful, REBUILDABLE, durable iron block. The 11's and up got the "new technology", in the bores of the block, with the plasma wire arc coating. Good luck with that. Iron block bores, will not go out of ROUND as easily as an aluminum block. I predict the higher mileage 11+ will start to burn oil. Time will tell. Iron blocks also hold up to high operating temperatures better as well. The last place I would want to save weight, would be the block. Most people on here couldn't even tell the difference in weight, in a back to back comparison. Swap out your stock driveshaft, install an off road H/X pipe, and a tubular K member, you will get your 100 lb savings back vs. the aluminum block.

What's the first thing a 11+ owner does in a rebuild? Spend about $2000 putting heavy sleeves back in the bores. That 2 grand is JUST for the parts/labor for installing the sleeves. So much for weight savings. The average Shelby owner, doesn't have access to a machine shop that can install sleeves CORRECTLY. What a debacle, that can become. For a short while, and I don't know as of now, you couldn't get aluminum blocks from Ford. Electric power steering was also a "feature" of the 11's+. Most enthusiasts, abhor that system.

Without a doubt, take a '10 over a 07-09. The first gen 07-09s had clutch issues, and early models had harmonic balancer issues. They also came with 3.31 gears, versus the 3.55 in the 10s. As far as technology in the car goes, I never order cars with NAV. My brother has a top of the line Benz, 2005, and the NAV in there is ancient in how it works, by today's standards. He doesn't even use it.

All that being said, if you fix some of the key issues with the 07-09, you will have a great great car. Their slightly lower price allows you to fix all that, and have $$$ for mods. Then it just comes down to styling. I think the 2010-12's have the best styling (except for the '13+ taillights which look great, I don't like their grills though). So there you go. I purposely bought a 2010, for the engine, manual steering rack, and the styling. My biggest complaints about the 11-12s are the price, and block construction material, however, I do not hate any model year Shelby. They are all basically the same, except for the 2013+, those are the pinnacle of this S197 run!

Last edited:

speedrx

Established Member
"Without a doubt, take a '10 over a 07-09."

Nope, plenty of reason to go with the earlier cars over the '10, maybe no doubt for you but lots of early owners would disagree, including me. No doubt I would take my '09 over a '10, I like the styling better but that is why we have choices.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
"Without a doubt, take a '10 over a 07-09."

Nope, plenty of reason to go with the earlier cars over the '10, maybe no doubt for you but lots of early owners would disagree, including me. No doubt I would take my '09 over a '10, I like the styling better but that is why we have choices.

I wanted to tell the OP about the mechanical issues the first gen cars had, styling is always subjective, that's why I said I don't dis-like any year Shelby. As a new buyer, asking what year to consider, I'd want people to tell me the good, bad, and ugly.

In fact, the baddest assed Shelby I've seen is a triple black 07. The front end looks better, more classic than later generations.

"All that being said, if you fix some of the key issues with the 07-09, you will have a great great car. I do not hate any model year Shelby. They are all basically the same, except for the 2013+"

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
not a whole lot of difference between 07-09 and 10. a few minor things as pointed out above.

the main thing is the body style and then the interior.

the #1 thing is the body style really. everything else can be changed/upgraded on 07-09 to be as good or better than a 2010. you cant do anything about the body lol (unless you liberty walk it :bash:

the style is the major thing for most people. get whichever one grabs you most and go from there. you cant go wrong with either choice.

i love my 07. i wish it had the nicer interior from 10+ and an aluminum motor but that's it. i prefer the retro body style myself.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

i love my 07. i wish it had the nicer interior from 10+ and an aluminum motor but that's it. i prefer the retro body style myself.

I believe the interiors are interchangeable, minus wiring harnesses for a few components.

nxhappy

Established Member
07 looks better ;-)

either way, take your time finding one ! No rush !

nxhappy

Established Member
What are these KEY issues that need to be resolved when buying 07-09's?

the 2007 has the old style crank pulley, it needs to be updated to the 2008 version. Or can be swapped with a 10% pulley.

Also the heat exchanger needs to be upgraded with the dual fan version. Larger IC tank, and 170 Tstat. All these keep the IATs much much cooler.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
the 2007 has the old style crank pulley, it needs to be updated to the 2008 version. Or can be swapped with a 10% pulley.

Also the heat exchanger needs to be upgraded with the dual fan version. Larger IC tank, and 170 Tstat. All these keep the IATs much much cooler.

They also have clutch issues stock right? What is with the crank pulley on the 07? Design flaw? Just curious.

nxhappy

Established Member
They also have clutch issues stock right? What is with the crank pulley on the 07? Design flaw? Just curious.

you are correct....the 07-08 had a clutch TSB. Most cars have already been serviced for the clutch issues. I believe most dealers replaced the clutch with the 2010 style.

The crank pulley on the 07 is flawed. It is way too heavy for the crank. They later made a new pulley that was much lighter.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
you are correct....the 07-08 had a clutch TSB. Most cars have already been serviced for the clutch issues. I believe most dealers replaced the clutch with the 2010 style.

The crank pulley on the 07 is flawed. It is way too heavy for the crank. They later made a new pulley that was much lighter.

Thanks never knew about the crank pulley.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
The pulley on the 07 is only an issue if your modding but we all know your modding lol. I personally like the 07-09 body style and for the 30,000 your looking to spend they may be your only option. I have an 08 and I'm fine with my interior, I spruced it up a little with some chrome and other little things. I would decide on what you want and then find it versus searching for what's around and settling because you'll always regret it. When I bought my 08 I was looking for a stripe delete in Vista Blue and luckily I found one a little over a hour away. Never settle, get what you want.

11GTcoupe

Established Member
I'm actually in the same boat as the OP and had a comment/question. I drove an '09 today (1st GT500 I've driven) and was really less than impressed with the power. Car was smooth and didn't appear to have any issues just didn't seem to pull very hard, in fact i swear my '11 GT would run all over it. This was a very nice low mile, stock tuned example, which should still make about 80 more hp than my GT.
Only thing that I could think was it had 28" tall Nitto drag radials on it and combined with the OE 3.31 gears probably hurt it. Any thoughts or ideas cause it really surprised me how anemic it really was.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I'm actually in the same boat as the OP and had a comment/question. I drove an '09 today (1st GT500 I've driven) and was really less than impressed with the power. Car was smooth and didn't appear to have any issues just didn't seem to pull very hard, in fact i swear my '11 GT would run all over it. This was a very nice low mile, stock tuned example, which should still make about 80 more hp than my GT.
Only thing that I could think was it had 28" tall Nitto drag radials on it and combined with the OE 3.31 gears probably hurt it. Any thoughts or ideas cause it really surprised me how anemic it really was.

The GT500 is a very deceptive car.

It makes torque, and the gears are long. Put it in 4th at 30mph and mash it. you can go from 30-130, in just one gear! Don't confuse revs with power.

I had exactly the same first impression when I drove my first GT500. I thought it was a mid 13s car! Turn the traction control off. They made the traction control SUPER protective. With the TRAC OFF, in just normal driving, you will get wheel spin like you were on ice. It really sucks the life out of the car, but for good reason. The average driver would end up crashing. After you get bored with the TRAC OFF, go for a pulley and tune.

Also, these cars stock are very sensitive to heat soak. The 3.31 gears are not ideal, but there is a lot of power lurking under that hood, trust me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread