In the market for a Terminator-What to look for?

SHELBY1962

Established Member
Just started my search for a Terminator and want to know what to look for and common issues. Ideally want a mostly stock, low mileage Cobra. I had an ‘01 a few years back and the IRS was a major problem with wheel hop and traction. I actually shattered the rear cover, destroyed the driveshaft and axles. Are the ‘03/‘04 any better? Also heard alternators, clutch and transmissions are a weak link. Appreciate any advice or leads...Thanks.

thatdude305

Established Member
Just started my search for a Terminator and want to know what to look for and common issues. Ideally want a mostly stock, low mileage Cobra. I had an ‘01 a few years back and the IRS was a major problem with wheel hop and traction. I actually shattered the rear cover, destroyed the driveshaft and axles. Are the ‘03/‘04 any better? Also heard alternators, clutch and transmissions are a weak link. Appreciate any advice or leads...Thanks.
Full Tilt Boogie makes a kit to fix the IRS. When I bought mine 3 years ago this is the first thing I did. other than that a lot of people will recommend to get the engine compression tested, I personally did not but that's up to you. other than that just look for regular stuff

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Read through this post from my Terminator FAQs.

As long as you understand the '03-'04 Cobra is a 17-18 year old vehicle, there is a wealth of info in the Terminator sub-forums to address pretty much any issue or concern you might run into after the purchase.

If you find a "true" stock or near stock Terminator with lower miles (say, 15K-25K miles) expect to pay top dollar. I say "true" stock/near stock because the majority of '03 and '04 Cobras have changed hands over the years so the more past owners of a specific "stock" or "near stock" Cobra the more likely it has seen days of multiple engine mods and more. It's very common for sellers to de-mod these cars to get higher sell prices knowing that many sellers prefer a stock or near stock Cobra knowing that the greater the engine modding the more likely the car has been abused/raced frequently.

The more documentation on the life of the car you can obtain/find, the more likely you'll get closer to what you're looking for. I always recommend that potential buyers try to find info on past owners, including their forum names, so that they can search out those forums to get an even more clear picture of the overall condition of the car. That's not always easy to do, especially if there has been more than two owners and if you run into dead ends on those owners. That's when you have to rely on common sense examination of the car, even to the point of having someone local do that for you if you cannot easily get to the car, including getting it on a lift for a thorough examination. To be a successful and thorough examination, you have to know what to check (engine, frame, suspension, drivetrain, interior, etc.).

I hope you find your dream Terminator!

efnfast

Established Member
Unless you're running big power through it I don't think the clutch, alternator or transmission are weak links. I'm ported/pullied/intake/exhaust/tune, ~225k miles on it and my tranny, alternator and clutch are still original equipment.

Other than regular maintenance - brakes/tires/oil/belts - the only stock parts I've had go on me are the tensioner, front hub and throw out bearing. It likes to eat TOBs ... I think I'm on my 4th one (using quality ford racing TOB ... it just likes ot eat them)

Users who are viewing this thread