In Defense of Science and Theory

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
I'm not kidding about the antimatter and gamma rays, by the way. Every lightning bolt generates antimatter and high-energy gamma-rays at the top of the cloud from which the bolt originates.

So ground-to-sky lightning is in fact black magic, correct?

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
kirks5oh said:
Still waiting to hear about the miracles he's witnessed

If you're referring to miracles witnessed by dynasty_v6, they concern the classic scenario where supposedly disabled individuals miraculously rise from their wheelchairs in church, healed of their ailments. Not surprisingly, none of these cases involved amputees. And oddly enough, when pressed for evidence, dynasty_v6 came back and told me what he does for a living. He has a technical position in IT, if I recall correctly. I'm not sure what that's doing to support his supposed miracle cases.

Evidence for miracles is always very poor or completely nonexistent.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
If you're referring to miracles witnessed by dynasty_v6, they concern the classic scenario where supposedly disabled individuals miraculously rise from their wheelchairs in church, healed of their ailments. Not surprisingly, none of these cases involved amputees. And oddly enough, when pressed for evidence, dynasty_v6 came back and told me what he does for a living. He has a technical position in IT, if I recall correctly. I'm not sure what that's doing to support his supposed miracle cases.

i'm not an atheist. i believe in god. but a miracle to me is someone re-growing an arm after it's amputated. i have a very scientific background. most miracles people describe in terms of recoveries from diseases, injuries, etc. can be explained medically. even the ones we can't explain are likely due to our lack of complete knowledge of how the body works/heals, or how certain diseases attack the body.

some things are a matter of chance. and out of multiple, multiple occurrences, strange things can happen. you wouldn't call it a miracle if you won the lottery?? the chances of it happening are so small---but it happens, and can be explained through mathematical probabilities.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
kirks5oh, thanks for your participation and input here.

Would you consider yourself a deist or pantheist? Forgive me, but I am assuming you don't subscribe to any of our organized or major world religions.

kirks5oh said:
...you wouldn't call it a miracle if you won the lottery?

You bet I would! This is because I don't play the lottery.

:)

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
<Professor_Farnsworth>Good news everyone!</Professor_Farnsworth>

Finally there is some good news coming out of Texas, relative to its State Board of Education's faith-inspired erosion of 21st century information in public school textbooks. Bear in mind that other states are forced to use the school textbooks requested and approved by Texas because Texas buys so many books. This bit of news concerns biological science:

Texas Freedom Network: Publishers Resist Pressure to Undermine Evolution Coverage in Proposed Texas Science Textbooks

"This is a very welcome development for everyone who opposes teaching phony science about evolution in our kid's public schools," Texas Freedom Network President Kathy Miller said. "Texas parents can applaud these publishers for standing up to pressure from politicians and activists who want to put their personal beliefs ahead of giving Texas students a 21st-century science education."

Some reviewers had criticized the proposed biology textbooks for failing to include a variety of discredited arguments attacking evolution. For example, reviewers lowered the rating of one textbook because it didn't include the inaccurate claim that scientists have found no transitional fossils and that "the fossil record can be interpreted in other ways than evolutionary with equal justification." Another reviewer insisted that all of the textbooks teach "creation science based on Biblical principles" alongside evolution.

I for one certainly hope this trend continues.

We really do need educated and adept biologists.

dynasty_v6

Established Member
All theories have "holes." This does not disprove the theory; it just shows an area where an assumption, usually based on observation and comparison, was made to bridge a gap in understanding. The only thing that disproves a theory is direct evidence contrary with a stated portion of that theory.

Yes, it is science. Just because there isn't a currently known explanation doesn't mean one doesn't exist. Lightning was a miracle once too...

The hole does disprove the theory if the theory hinges on that hole. For example, if life was not possible on the earth millions of years ago, then Macro evolution in the current theory does not stand up.

I can also say just b/c you don't have an explanation does not mean that it isn't a miracle.

BTW, I love your posts on instagram!

dynasty_v6

Established Member

I do not work in IT. Funny tho, I have to be a scientist to have credibility in witnessing a miracle, but you don't to disprove a miracle?

Kinda a double standard eh?

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
dynasty_v6 said:
...I have to be a scientist to have credibility in witnessing a miracle, but you don't to disprove a miracle?

It doesn't matter who you are or what you do for a living.

Professor James Randi will give you $1M if you can objectively demonstrate a miracle.

Let us know if you collect.

Please notice that I am *NOT* on the hook to disprove your evidenceless claims.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
dynasty_v6 said:
The hole does disprove the theory if the theory hinges on that hole.

HYBRED is right.

You are wrong.

It's not hard to understand:

In order to disprove a scientific theory, one must produce an observation (fact) that contradicts what the theory predicts.

Users who are viewing this thread