In Defense of Science and Theory

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
James Snover,

Your post is very much appreciated. If there was one sentence in my post that I enjoyed articulating, it was the one about the unfortunate circumstance of science being conducted by humans.

You raised the point of political influence on science as it compares to the impact of religious dogma. While I am mostly ignorant in this territory, I can imagine the terrible extent to which this subverts and obfuscates scientific progress.

Anything in this thread that singles out obstacles to our scientific endeavor is complimentary. I am personally focused on religious dogma, but I won't for one moment pretend this is the only problem we must contend with.

The global warming thing gives me a headache. Of those humans whose input I have come to value over the years, I have heard conflicting claims. This genuinely bothers me.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
DaleM,

That was one hell of a post. I read the whole thing. As with my original post, I worry that many members of the intended audience won't take the time to comprehend it. I think the resolution to this country's creationist-evolution conflict will come down to declawing science such that it is no longer regarded as opposition to faith-based beliefs.

Sam Harris nailed a critical point when he asked what evidence you could possibly provide to someone who does not value evidence, in order to change his or her mind.

The same catch likely applies just as well to raw logic.

Once an individual latches onto a belief per faith, no argument can repudiate the attachment. Logic, reason, and evidence simply no longer apply. In such a circumstance, it is only the will of the individual that can incur a change of mind.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
DaleM,

That was one hell of a post. I read the whole thing. As with my original post, I worry that many members of the intended audience won't take the time to comprehend it. I think the resolution to this country's creationist-evolution conflict will come down to declawing science such that it is no longer regarded as opposition to faith-based beliefs.

Sam Harris nailed a critical point when he asked what evidence you could possibly provide to someone who does not value evidence, in order to change his or her mind.

The same catch likely applies just as well to raw logic.

Once an individual latches onto a belief per faith, no argument can repudiate the attachment. Logic, reason, and evidence simply no longer apply. In such a circumstance, it is only the will of the individual that can incur a change of mind.

I wish I could claim it. Other than the intro it was copied from a site. But there are times when others articulate reality the way I see it.

Elwood617

Established Member
Great thread, with some great information. The problem with religion is it teaches people to stop thinking for themselves. To ignore evidence, and accept a story that makes them feel better about the unknown. I'm glad that my kids go to a school that keeps religion out of the school curriculum :)

dynasty_v6

Established Member
You want to be taken seriously by those that are intellectually inspired and you post things like "I've never heard of dinosaur denying christians"...

I want to be taken seriously by you? You call yourself intellectually inspired? Have much pride? You're just another random person on the internet, probably a great person. But, if you don't take me serious it's no big deal. I don't already take you serious with your ridiculous claim.

Post a 1 example of a Christian scientist denying dinosaurs existed and I'll leave the thread. If you can't you must leave the thread.

Last edited:

Elwood617

Established Member
Are you kidding me? I had a southern baptist friend of mine tell me the fossils we find were placed there by the devil to create doubt in Bible.

dynasty_v6

Established Member
:D

So you've seen literal miracles....

And science backs it up? Well than by definition if science backs up the "literal" miracles you've seen than they weren't miracles.

If you mean medical tests on file at an established hospital show an incurable disease disappeared then yep that's science bro.

Or do you believe medical tests aren't science? :lol:

dynasty_v6

Established Member
No.

The point is that at one time openly denying god or religion was basically forbidden. Over generations progress has been made to the point that religion doesn't have a strangle hold on society that it once did. There is no denying the inescapable truth that most people such as yourself will never waiver from you indoctrination; in the long term science and rationality will win thanks to these discussions that are now happening everywhere.

You basically deny the thread will go nowhere and then state most people won't change their mind. Isn't that a contradiction? :shrug:

Elwood617

Established Member
I want to be taken seriously by you? You call yourself intellectually inspired? Have much pride? You're just another random person on the internet, probably a great person. But, if you don't take me serious it's no big deal. I don't take already don't you you serious with your ridiculous claim.

Post a 1 example of a Christian scientist denying dinosaurs existed and I'll leave the thread. If you can't you must leave the thread.

http://m.topix.com/forum/city/hazard-ky/T46HL7J4S6VVC23G3

I don't want you to leave, just be a bit more skeptical.

As to your witnessing of a medical miracle. There is a lot we don't understand in medicine. I've seen good people die, and terrible people live, despite the odds. I don't buy into a unseen deity going around saving people at random, or some grand design.

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I want to be taken seriously by you? You call yourself intellectually inspired? Have much pride? You're just another random person on the internet, probably a great person. But, if you don't take me serious it's no big deal. I don't take already don't you you serious with your ridiculous claim.

Find another thread simpleton, these are your ilk and brothers:
christian scientist denies dinosaurs - Bing Videos

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
I don't take already don't you you serious with your ridiculous claim.

:dw:

So first you say you've never heard of dinosaur denying christians...

Then...

Are you kidding me? I had a southern baptist friend of mine tell me the fossils we find were placed there by the devil to create doubt in Bible.

Which I've heard before as well, and you reply with...

Your friend is not mainstream, it's ok. The evolutionists have a few weirdos too.

So first there aren't dino deniers, but now there might be but they aren't mainstream. And now you want me to point out a christian scientist that denies dinos existed. You are all over the place.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
If you mean medical tests on file at an established hospital show an incurable disease disappeared then yep that's science bro.

Or do you believe medical tests aren't science? :lol:

How about a link, I'm sure there is no way you are misrepresenting something or misunderstood something.

Not having a definitive answer after preliminary analysis does not equate to a miracle in the first place.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
You basically deny the thread will go nowhere and then state most people won't change their mind. Isn't that a contradiction? :shrug:

I'm sorry you struggle with reading comprehension. My previous post more simply worded:

The expectations of these discussions isn't immediate change but instead gradual change over generations.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member

I would like to hear about some of the miracles you've witnessed

I will provide a scientific theory for each.

dynasty_v6

Established Member
Dinosaurs: Satan's Greatest Trick - Topix

I don't want you to leave, just be a bit more skeptical.

As to your witnessing of a medical miracle. There is a lot we don't understand in medicine. I've seen good people die, and terrible people live, despite the odds. I don't buy into a unseen deity going around saving people at random, or some grand design.

I'm sorry maybe you missed the part about it being a Christian SCIENTIST denying the existence of dinosaurs?

That's find you don't buy into the idea of a deity, I don't buy into the mathematical improbability of macro evolution either.

dynasty_v6

Established Member
I'm sorry you struggle with reading comprehension. My previous post more simply worded:

The expectations of these discussions isn't immediate change but instead gradual change over generations.

So you think you're going to create a gradual change with who b/c of the this thread? By being cocky, uninformed, and insulting who are you going sway? :rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread