In-Car Vids

cobra93

Established Member
I am not sure. There is more ET in the car as it sits. Probably 3 tenths with better driving. The face-plated TKO seems to be holding up. I have been secretly wanting it to break so I can justify a clutchless 5-spd manual. But damn they are expensive. It is pretty amazing what can be done with the Anderson hi-rev hydraulic cam lobes. I could spin her higher with a solid roller, the heads and intake would support 9,500 rpm, the bottom end would, but that type of cam would have a tighter hp band yet. This would necessitate quicker shifting and a 3-finger adjustable clutch... probably force me to the clutchless.... Things that make you say "Hmmmm".

Most likely will keep it all the same but install motor plate and have custom set of larger (and shorter) headers built. I am leaving power on the table with the Kooks 1-7/8 to 2" headers. Will probably put the crank-case vacuum pump back on then.

racerbox77

Established Member
cobra93 said:
I just looked on the time slip for that last run. That Chebby had a big block and nitrous. I actually out ET'd him, though. I went 9.75 @ 141.1 with a 1.38 60-ft to his 9.91 @ 136.0 with a 1.55 60-ft. He got there first because he cut a .063 light to my .565.

Yup, you can tell towards the big end you were reeling him in. That ride of yours looks like it would be a handfull. Ive watched the vids like 4 times each. :rockon:

racerbox77

Established Member
What exactly is a "face-plated" TKO tranny? I hear in the vids when Mark puts it into gear it clunks, and speed shifting that fast at 9000 with a stock TKO is probably very difficult. So is the tranny "slick shifted"? I had a slick shifted TKO in my old stang and loved it except downshifting was a little harder.

cobra93

Established Member
scootro said:
Nice website!! Hey Marc I saw your video of your race on Jun, 1999 at Tulsa International raceway. I didn’t know speed vision channel televised there? Was this at a mid America Shelby meet?? Boy speed channel sure has gone down hill over the years. I would love to watch mustang stuff like your video on tv.

I have an interesting story about that trip. A bunch of us from the SCOA caravanned there starting from the St. Louis area. (Was fun with the 4.30 gears). My wife was pulling a small tag-along trailer full of slicks and tools in her '97 T-Bird with our 2 small children. When we got to Joplin, I heard a noise coming from one of the valve covers. Inpections found a broken valvespring on one of the TW heads. Bummer. So everybody went along, and I called a tow-truck. Got the car to a Ford dealer, called Anderson Ford, they shipped me a new set of springs overnight and the mechanic changed out the spring for me. I remember the guy coming over to me and asking me if I could adjust the valve! He wasn't familiar with the stud mounted rockers.

So I made it to the event, entered that "5.0 bracket race" - there were not that many cars, maybe 20. I ended up winning the thing, pretty funny. The finals were in bad shape on my recording, so only have the semi-finals that you saw. OK, short story over.

scootro

Established Member
cobra93 said:
I have an interesting story about that trip. A bunch of us from the SCOA caravanned there starting from the St. Louis area. (Was fun with the 4.30 gears). My wife was pulling a small tag-along trailer full of slicks and tools in her '97 T-Bird with our 2 small children. When we got to Joplin, I heard a noise coming from one of the valve covers. Inpections found a broken valvespring on one of the TW heads. Bummer. So everybody went along, and I called a tow-truck. Got the car to a Ford dealer, called Anderson Ford, they shipped me a new set of springs overnight and the mechanic changed out the spring for me. I remember the guy coming over to me and asking me if I could adjust the valve! He wasn't familiar with the stud mounted rockers.

So I made it to the event, entered that "5.0 bracket race" - there were not that many cars, maybe 20. I ended up winning the thing, pretty funny. The finals were in bad shape on my recording, so only have the semi-finals that you saw. OK, short story over.
cool! ya its gotten a lot bigger over the years a lot more people attend there now since the new owner re-did the track and tower. ya I use to drive my stang to the track in Missouri’s mo-kan or Tulsa’s track but now I trailer the stang so I don't get stranded from a broken car. I blew out my clutch in Tulsa and almost never got home from the two hour drive back home. it sucked!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread