In 30 years will there be Librarys??

TEX-STANG

Established Member
I have been arguing with a friend of mine wether or not we will still have librarys in the future with the internet and the invention of e-books iPads and the new Amazon book thing that looks like an iPad and the fact that you can get on line and just buy the actual book and have it sent to your house. Were not saying ALL Librarys will be gone like historic ones but just the public ones that you might have in your neighborhood might one day close and Librarys like that will no longer be built. And were not saying in the next few years but more like 20-30 years from now. Just a hypothetical argument I know there valid points as to why and why not and want to hear other peoples opinions. Pointless I know but thanks to those who chime in.:beer:

canibus

Established Member
yes there will be. Many people buy books, even if they already have the E copy. It may not be in such high demand, but it will still be around.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
What theres still librarys? For real when I buy a book it's normally barn n noble or another book store. I never considered a library for a book purchase.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
At least for a time to come there will always be people who prefer to read paper books. A friend and I were just discussing this last week. He is buying a Kindle but only for research as he generally prefers to read regular books. There are pros and cons with both. But, eBooks are growing in popularity and I can honestly see a day, for example, when schools only use them and phase out paper books for cost savings. An eBook reader that can download at minimal cost new text books for a school year could mean on reader with multiple books stored vs. multiple hard cover books. So I guess there will come a time when the need for libraries diminishes to the point where the number of libraries is vastly reduced. But I doubt they'll ever be completely eliminated.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
They will still be around.

Nobody uses them today, and they still get funding to stay open, so I doubt thats going to change in 30yrs.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I hope so. I do all of my SVTP browsing at my local library.

But honestly, I can see libraries gearing themselves towards computer centers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
I got my first undergrad in 1996 and when I left there were stacks and stacks of books on shelves...you know, a library. I came back in 2007 to get a second degree and all those books are gone. Replaced by rows and rows of computers. There are still books here; however, I'd say that 80% of them are now gone. Technology is crazy when you can store the entire volume of a library in something smaller than a shoe box now.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I got my first undergrad in 1996 and when I left there were stacks and stacks of books on shelves...you know, a library. I came back in 2007 to get a second degree and all those books are gone. Replaced by rows and rows of computers. There are still books here; however, I'd say that 80% of them are now gone. Technology is crazy when you can store the entire volume of a library in something smaller than a shoe box now.

not to mention find the info you are looking for 10x as fast.

Id imagine when my kids enter HS they wont have to lug around 5 2" thick books in their backpacks all day like we did. A single laptop or eReader will be sufficient. Hell they will probably do all their reading and writing electronically and just email the teacher when they are done.

2003 Silver

Banned
Not they way we know of them, no. There really is no need for local libraries...technology has taken over. We are going thru a process in our town where the library board (all older blue heads) want to actually want a bigger facility....this blows my mind. No kids use it...only older folks. Most of the books could be boxed up and stored and if requested could be delivered next day etc. to save a ton of room. The older generation is holding onto the notion of libraries as they grew up with them...once they are gone so too will libraries (except for the historical ones).

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
not to mention find the info you are looking for 10x as fast.

Id imagine when my kids enter HS they wont have to lug around 5 2" thick books in their backpacks all day like we did. A single laptop or eReader will be sufficient. Hell they will probably do all their reading and writing electronically and just email the teacher when they are done.

There are actually schools that do that now, so you're not far off. Certain schools are considered "technology" schools and attempt to intertwine technology with any aspect of school they can.

I'd say you're right on the money and that eventually kids will just go to school with a laptop/tablet and that's all they'll need. Well, until they start putting chips behind our eyes . . . :lol1:

EDIT: Ironically, i'm typing this up in my school's library lol.

monX

Established Member
30 years is a long time and with the way things are changing, I'd be willing to bet most if not all (except for historic) libraries will be gone.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
I think there will still be libraries but they will have to evolve to stay relevant. Most libraries I've seen also double as public space for local gov't or organization functions, kid's days for reading and such. One of the newer libraries in town has a huge section of DVD's and music CD's.

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
I think there will still be libraries but they will have to evolve to stay relevant. Most libraries I've seen also double as public space for local gov't or organization functions, kid's days for reading and such. One of the newer libraries in town has a huge section of DVD's and music CD's.

The ones here are little movie theaters as well. Movies for either for kids or adults.

Users who are viewing this thread