IMRC vacuum leak?

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
Okay so I finally put a new Bank 1 Upstream o2 sensor in it, and the code still came back. P1131. I'm kind of at a loss where to go now. the wiring looks fine to where I can trace it.

Last edited:

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
Have you had smoke tests run on both intake and exhaust? In 5 minutes you will know...

I did the ghetto smoke test with a cigar and the intake IAC tube, right after getting it back together and did not see anything. When it had a vacuum leak before it would throw a different code than now. It used to throw a p0171 - bank 1 too lean. It no longer throw that, but now something about the ho2s switch indicates lean. Will do another intake smoke test soon just to be sure.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I haven't tried the cigar test since I have access to a professional smoke machine. I know with the machine, it really works well to find even pinhole leaks. And even pinhole leaks can screw you up. You may need to puff a lot of cigar smoke to do as well as a smoke machine. :)

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
Hey guys I found time to do a smoke test today, and the results were inconclusive. Not the slightest puff of smoke from where it shouldn't be. I did however plug in my scanner and looked at the o2 sensor voltages. As you can see in the two photos below, o2s11 (bank 1 sensor 1) reads between 0 and .01 volts. The other sensors read to normal levels, leaving me to believe I have a fault somewhere with the sensor or wiring. Post cat bank 1 sensor 2 (o2s12) reads at a normal level which makes me certain that it is not a vacuum leak.

the sensor harness looks okay and the sensor is new so I really do not know where to go from here. I'm going to swap the precat sensors to see if that does anything but I am really at wits end on where to go from here. Do these cars use any electrical modules or devices in the harness that deals with the o2 sensors?

IMG_4560.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
First swap sensors side-to-side to see of the problem follows the sensor. If so, replace the sensor. If not, then check the wires.

The wires run to the PCM. Since you are not getting a heater DTC, you can not worry about those two wires. Using an ohmmeter, I would check for continuity on both the signal and signal return wires between the sensor and the PCM connector. I'd also check the signal wire to ground to ensure that it is not shorted to ground somewhere.

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
Found it!

I found a gouge in the loom coming from the O2 sensors up by the battery and found two wires cut in two. Re-soldered both wires back together and everything seems to be reading right again!

Hopefully now I can be done with this thread and order that tuner. Thanks for the help guys! Always appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread