IMRC question?

Svt98snake!

@COBRAMARCE
Established Member
So I have a Question about my IMRC and I'm 18 and learning little by little about my 98 cobra :) instead of using SeaFoam to clean them why couldn't you be able to use Transmission fluid? I'm only asking because transmission fluid works as a Hydraulic Cleaner and it couldn't hurt the car would it?*

Now I am thinking about hand cleaning them but unfortunately At the moment I don't seem to have time and under a lot of stress with college and work and all lol*

crazycarlo

Established Member
I know your 18 but do not put trans fluid in the combustion chamber. Also if you really wanna learn your car get the tools and follow one of the many writeups on the net on how to clean your imrc's by hand. However if your not having a problem with them I'd prob leave them alone.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
Be sure you can find gaskets before you pull off your intake if you don't want your car down for long

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I only use dish soap and hot water to clean my gaskets. I let them dry well before reinstalling them and have not had a problem, I've heard you don't want to use solvents on them.

I've had mine out and back in several times.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
some people arent so lucky and their gaskets are squished or have so much rtv on them they're not reusable (this guy)

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Trans fluid is an old trick.

I've poured many quarts down carbs over the years.

Ice water works great too.

I would not do eaither in a fuel injected car with the way the intake runners are designed.
Seafoam is also a combustion chamber cleaner and will not help on the intake or IMRCs as far as build up is concerned.

Clean by hand. With seafoam. lol

Svt98snake!

@COBRAMARCE
Established Member
So what if I do the sea foam and then when im on vacation in about 2 weeks then hand clean them? And as for the transmission fluid my dad said that,that is what he had used and I made a pretty big difference and cleaned it out ... Lol so I don't know if it will hurt it or not ha

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
So what if I do the sea foam and then when im on vacation in about 2 weeks then hand clean them? And as for the transmission fluid my dad said that,that is what he had used and I made a pretty big difference and cleaned it out ... Lol so I don't know if it will hurt it or not ha

Problem with tranny fluid is it is heavy and the fuel injected cars intake runner design.

Back in the carb days you could slowly pour it down the carb and the intake runners gravity flowed into the intake valve.

That isn't the case now. Now it has to be a light enough fluid for it to mist as you suck it in and flow UP through the runners.

Tranny fluid will not make it, Some will but most will most likely settle on the bottom of the intake making matters worse.

CJK440

Established Member
One thing to keep in mind. If your IMRC's require cleaning, then your secondary intake ports and valves are even worse and more of a problem.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread