Impressions: BMR Elastomer LCA's

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
I have a laundry list of suspension components awaiting install. But since Kelly hooked me up with some Elastomer bushings for BMR's TCA019 LCA's, i figured i would install these pieces alone isolating the difference and offer my impressions.

Who: 2011 BBP MT GT, stock suspension. OEM Perelli's.
What: 83 Durometer (I believe?) elastomer bushings replacing the provided 95 Durometer polyurethane bushings. Amsoil Polymeric NLGI #2 off-road grease.
When: For the past week.
Where: To and from work, on-ramps and up and down this hill climb at least 4 times:
PEJwdb1.png

Why: My build is/will be a mixture parts that I will make compromises to maintain a street-able feel as it is a DD, and parts I won't make compromises for in order to have a decent HPDE machine without major before and after track adjustments. Elastomer does a great job of isolating vibrations, reducing noise all while thwarting deflection compared to rubber bushings. They also require minimal greasing or maintenance.
How: Pressing out the provided 2pc poly bushings, applying a thin coat of Polymeric and installing the elastomer bushings is a breeze. This can be done with a vice or even a C clamp or woodworking squeeze clamps.

A wealth of bushings
BfDFMZl.jpg

Assembled, as said I applied a thin coating of Polymeric all over the bushings. I also loaded up the internal knurling of the bushings with grease before pressings the inserts in based on kelly's recomendation. The knurling holds onto a decent amount of grease.

jHqavHb.jpg

Install is easy, pre zip-ties:
VS6JITY.jpg

The bushings weren't the only pre-market pieces I was testing. Despite their looks, these are both impact wrenches. Small powerful tools make jobs like this so much quicker.
seJZHLO.jpg

My Impressions:

Straight line traction:
My last mustang went from Poly LCA's to all spherical, so these elastomers would run the whole gamut for me when it comes to LCA's. Traction is still not fanominal, as expected with the stock tires, but well improved. It's still in need of a drop and an UCA+mount to completely do away with wheel hop, but there was noticeable "clean-ness" of the traction breakaway when it does occur. It feels like less of a skipping record and more fluid, but not in an overly impressive sense (again, these are LCA's only). 2nd gear rolling into 90+% throttle is more noticeable and better in this fluid sense.

Cornering:
The above hill climb is 1 mile from my house, 2+ miles up with 650ft of elevation and a lot of 2nd gear corners. I go up and down it at least once a week and it's a very seldomly traveled road. I know how much time it takes to get to the top, and how much space my friend's decently set-up HPDE S2000 on autocross tires puts on me going up. The LCA's instill more confidence through and out of an apex. That's the best way I can describe it. They dont make me feel like my tires own the road or anything (especially since they suck), my butt just feels more predictability and my right foot grows more confident. Going up the hill felt more fun, which is a good thing in a jello like stock mustang.

NVH:
So far this has been a review of LCA's in general, nothing ground breaking about that (well I guess the bushings could have just not done their job). I can keep this pretty short and sweet. No noticeable difference from stock. I have GT500 mufflers and pipes welded in place of the resonators, so it could be that, but I tried with the radio off for a few days to hone in on any difference. I got nothing to tell you, which is as positive a review one could hope for I suppose.

I'd be interested in elastomer bushing use in places that historically have a lot more NVH. A differential elastomer bushing to opposite my UTCA033 would be amazing I think

dfd4ntg.jpg

I can update when I have 285/35/19 square on the ground and the rest of the coilovers, watts, sway ect.

Thanks, BMR

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Awesome!

There are two reasons that we pulled forward with the development of these Elasto Bushings. Since we have been working with Super Pro for so long, and had excellent luck with them - why not?

1: NVH. We did the best we could to develop the best performing bushings, with the least amount of NVH. We feel we hit a homerun. I have 20~ test cars with these. everything from 8 second racecars, to 9 second stick shift GT500's, to daily drivers, to road course cars. ALL feedback has been phenomenal!

2: Durability. Since the Coyote mustangs, and newer GT500's have proven to make so much power - we felt that it was time to step up our game. Our standard Red Poly bushings cannot go without merit though, as we have sold close to 100,000 sets of LCA with those bushings. Yes, approaching 100,000! Amazing huh?

One of the "issues" with our 95 Durometer Red bushings is, they perform AWESOME. However, durability with large power is hit or miss, simply because we have always refused to use a less compliant bushing to aim for reliability. Since Super Pro has technology to offer, above and beyond what we have found here in the US....we chose to go ahead and jump into the lower Durometer range simply because their lower Durometer pieces perform better when being pushed, than the version available to the masses here in the US.

Thanks for the review CobraRed!!!

Users who are viewing this thread