IMPORTANT Info on IAT Sensor relocation......Rich/Lean Idle/Decel problem Solved!

Blown99Snake

Established Member
FOR SUPERCHARGED/TURBO GUYS

First , the results hereare only from EXTENSIVE testing on an emmisions dyno (we werent looking for power/torque measurements, only high speed/boost/high RPM testing)

1. Most of us guys have re-located our IAT sensors to the discharge tube to get accurate temp. measurements from the discharged air out of the blower.

2. Well, after much analyzing, I have come to determine the following:

Originally, the IAT sensor is located before the blower (per Vortech/Paxton, etc) in the factory air INTAKE, so air is usually being SUCKED past the IAT sensor. Well, after you re-locate the IAT sensor to the discharge tube, you are now pushing pressurized boost past the sensor/grommet, correct? Ok, then, what happens, is, when you pull the rubber grommet out of the factory intake tube and re-locate the grommet into the discharge tube, you are weakinging the strength/integrity of this grommet, which is already a weak grommet that wasnt designed to have pressurized air on it, so when you push 6,8,10,12,15 psi of boost through it, you are definately leaking out some already metered air, causing slight/severe rich conditions (which is safer than sorry), but as this grommet gets worked on by on/off pressure, it weakens.

I put the car on a friends emissions dyno in Canton and found that more boost = more lost metered air from this grommet that was originally designed for suck through application.

You might ask "Why wouldnt it leak IN unmetered air from the OEM setup?" Well, if you look at the design of the IAT sensor, it bonds better to the grommet when it is being used as a draw through application, such as OEM.

To make a long story short, Tim & T&J Performance does a fabulous job tuning cars, however, I highly advise changing this weak OEM grommet out to a thicker/tighter grommet so you dont lose meterd air.

I found one today that should be a pretty easy grommet to find at most parts houses.

MotorMite PCV grommet Part # 42058 (Attached Picture shows Grommet)

The reason I posted this is because my car started running crappy at idle because of a leak in the weld on my bypass flange (Not a T&J Weld) and I fixed that, but the car was still running a little rich at idle/decel, causing the car to idle crappy and sometimes stall. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why the car was still stalling and idling crappy.

The car now purrs like a kitten.

Mods, if you find it worthy, you might sticky this in several places.

Last edited:

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
I have my IAT hanging loose in the inner fender. Original blower installer said it would be "better" for it to sense cooler air:shrug: So if I put it on the discharge side of the blower, does it really matter where? Maybe this is why my car WON'T idle???

dtd01svt

Established Member
Can someone tell me what the IAT sensor is?? Sorry for the stupid question.

Blown01GT

Established Member
The hole is a 1/2 inch I believe.

I used a grommet and then sealed it with some sealer a few months ago to prevent boost leak.

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
I punched a small hole just enough to squeeze in my IAT (See PIC)

Doesn't leak at all and it has been there for a year with no problems.

IAT_Relocate.jpg

enjoy! :beer:

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
HOLY CRAP!!!!! I just got off my @$$ and bought the groumet, installed it into my plastic intake tube and like magic, my idle problem went away! All these months of fighting with the idle and thats what it was.

This thread has truly helped me! Thanks.

Scott Kim

Established Member
i'm not S/C'd but about a year ago had high rpm stumbling (only when hot) and couldn't figure out what the heck it was. replaced all possible culprits and still no solution.

finally found that the OEM IAT grommet that had been transplanted into my BBK CAI had been leaking in hot air from the engine bay causing the IAT to pull timing (when the vacuum increased ie high rpms) once the car had been running for a while. once i figured it out, i bought and installed an ultra-tight grommet and no more issues. i was kinda embarassed that such a simple thing had me chasing my own tail for so long.

This IAT grommet issue is probably the cause of many enthusiast's head aches, and who knows how many have given-up on their cars due to this $1 problem. glad that this topic is finally being given the attention that it deserves.

Hotrodvdog

Established Member
Ok, so this could be causing my decelaration problem? I have not done the IAT move. It's still in the original Procharger intake pipe that leads to the blower. My check engine light is on and when I decelarate, the rpms surge slightly up and down above 1000 rpm at a pulsing rate and when I am at a complete stop; it returns to a normal idle. Could the Procharger supplied gromet be bad and leaking sucked air?

boosted bullit

Established Member
i have a procharged bullit that doesnt want to stay running at idle when it is warm. i hope this fixes it i will let you guys know . thanks

jt98boost

Established Member
Hey, hotrodvdog did you fiqure out what your decelaration problem was, I have a vortech supercharged car with the same problem idle surges while rolling in neutral until I come to a complete stop, any ideas anyone????

Hotrodvdog

Established Member
jt98boost said:
Hey, hotrodvdog did you fiqure out what your decelaration problem was, I have a vortech supercharged car with the same problem idle surges while rolling in neutral until I come to a complete stop, any ideas anyone????

Nope, I did check the grommet but it looked fine. Since then I recently upgraded my injectors and now it runs too rich. Tuning problem from Diablo I guess. I haven't noticed anything lately since I don't drive the car as often anymore but I do intend to do this mod. I should have done it along time ago but I can't get myself to. I need to get to a dyno soon. I'm just lazy. :sleeping:

jt98boost

Established Member
I am going to go back to the dyno after a few more mods, I have tried a few things but no luck, I guess it might be in tuning I got to fiqure this out

cKjuiced

Got Juice?
Established Member
Yep

the IAT should be installed between your MAF and your Throttle Body. The closer to measuring real engine air is best place for it. Never in the charge pipe. If you are runninn n20 or SNOW (wat/meth) you don't want it upstream. Place is before the injection.

Users who are viewing this thread