Importance of pulse wheel?

MACHSTR

I bought a shortblock 4.6 NA aluminator and am going to put an eaton on it and run low boost. I know I may sound like an idiot but when I was installing the timing kit, I put a unused pulse wheel on that I had brushed some rust off of because it had been sitting for awhile. I already got the timing cover on and the balancer. Stupid me..., I really didn't realize that it actually served a purpose. I assumed it was just a spacer between the sprocket and the balancer. (This is my first build) It was not COVERED in rust, but there was a few spots that were alitle bad. I just used a brushing wheel on a bench grinder to get it shiny again. I did not grind any pieces off or anything, but it did get a small bit smoother on the teeth. Will it be ok, or should I take off the balancer and cover and put on a new pulse wheel. Thank you.

oldmodman

Established Member
For the amount of work involved in pulling the engine to get the wheel on and off the crank it might make more sense to just replace it. I do not know if the rust or the wire wheel would do the most harm, if any.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm sure there's a maximum distance between the wheel and sensor. If you can find that you can always check it out. But, if the engine is still on the stand just think how much of a pain it would be to swap that wheel when it's in the car if it doesn't start.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Since you just polished off surface rust for the most part it's probably just fine. That's just going from your description of course and given the amount of work to get back in there if the car won't start I'd replace it now.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Do t worry about it ,it is a replicator , which which works like a hall effect .
The teeth are the break in the magnetic field .
The only way you could have harmed it , is if you ground it with the grinding wheel .
Have a beer and relax, you are fine .

Users who are viewing this thread