I'm wanting an o/r x pipe! What to get?!

sushistrip

Established Member
I have an 03 cobra with magnaflow catbacks and I want it louder! I really like the magnaflows because they are amazingly quiet at cruising speed and sound really good when you open it up but I have become desensitized to their sound and I'm craving a louder exhaust note. I want something that will turn heads without going WOT but I don't want to wake the dead if you know what I mean. BBK o/r x-pipe seems to be a really good deal, they are $220 on AM I think. After watching a bunch of videos I really like the bassani x-pipe too however they are fairly expensive. Also considering o/r h-pipes.

Any thoughts?!

ctgreddy

Established Member
in terms of all xpipes i dont think one brand sounds much, if any, different than any others, unless you're comparing an o/r x to a catted x. imo the best bang for the buck for stock manifolds is upr's o/r x. Thats what's on my car currently. I'll be going l/t's soon tho. the upr is also cheaper, it's 160 on lethal performance.

wesking1

Established Member
Long tube mac with off road x and borla won louds car at the last car show I went to easy

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
exhaust

I am in the same boat as you, however, I have an O/R H. I have done a lot of reading and listening and my conclusion is that for stock manifolds, the ProChamber is going to give you that loud, deep, quality sound.

H-pipe: sounds great, flap type sound at mid speed when hitting the fun pedal
X-pipe: sounds great, raspy as hell sound at similar speeds.

Both based on O/R.

If you are just looking at which X-pipe to get, do your reading because the most important part is fitment. My h-pipe leaks where it meets the manifolds (I think its BBK). This is not just annoying, it causes performance issues as well...02 sensors recieving false readings.

sushistrip

Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm sorry, I'm such a noob at exhaust; when you say ProChamber do you mean the MAC ProChamber?

Also, is it absolutely necessary to get a retune with these O/R midpipes? The nearest dyno shop to me is in Kansas City which is a good 3 hours away, but I want these pipes now and I don't have time to devote an entire day for a trip to KC lol.

Last edited:

koffebean00

Established Member
Fitment wise, the UPR was good. Tucked up good and sealed up on all ends. STAY AWAY from Pypes!!! That was the 1st one I bought brand new for this Cobra and it was horrible. Hung down low, had to bend it to fit, and it tweaked the shit out of my catback. I switched to UPR and all the headaches went away.

sushistrip

Established Member
Fitment wise, the UPR was good. Tucked up good and sealed up on all ends. STAY AWAY from Pypes!!! That was the 1st one I bought brand new for this Cobra and it was horrible. Hung down low, had to bend it to fit, and it tweaked the shit out of my catback. I switched to UPR and all the headaches went away.

Yeah there is a video on youtube of a black cobra with UPR o/r x and magnaflow catback, sounds really good. Not as raspy as a lot of the other ones! And they are super cheap!

40calcobra

Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm sorry, I'm such a noob at exhaust; when you say ProChamber do you mean the MAC ProChamber?

Also, is it absolutely necessary to get a retune with these O/R midpipes? The nearest dyno shop to me is in Kansas City which is a good 3 hours away, but I want these pipes now and I don't have time to devote an entire day for a trip to KC lol.

Just buy a sct tuner and turn off rear o2's

sushistrip

Established Member
Just buy a sct tuner and turn off rear o2's

Oh sweet, the dyno shop I took it to for getting it tuned with the smaller pulley uses SCT so I have the X3 already. Don't you need a retune in order to gain any hp though?

EDIT: Yes it was a local dyno shop and I would never go to them again. The tune they put on my car seems very weak and I'm pretty sure they screwed up my throwout bearing somehow. Was very expensive and I was very dissatisfied.

Last edited:

marshall_cobra

Established Member
the bassani o/r x matched with magnaflow catback sounds SWEET! i had that setup on my 99 cobra. now on my 04 i have bassani midlegth headers,bassani catted x pipe,and 3"bassani catback

Users who are viewing this thread