I'm so excited. Redwing wakes up!

Redwing

Established Member
Time to bring Redwing out of hibernation. For those who live in the warmer part of North america, it may amuse you to know that here in Toronto we get snow for 4 months a year. Hence the sleeping act.
Insurance scheduled to renew on April 1, I want the car to be ready.
Went looking for my battery charger, but it sprouted wings and flew away over the winter. Wrung my hands over how to start up Redwing. Went to Canadian Tire (A big auto supply chain here in the Frozen North) to buy a new one. 8 different models, all by the same company, from $35.00 to $339.00. Agonized over which one. Chose the one for $59.00
Back home, opened the hood, connected the battery.
The dome light came on. What the heck. Inserted the key, twisted it. After what felt like 2 turns of the crankshaft, she fired right up!! And that's after sleeping since Dec 15. I'm taking the battery charger back.
Anyway, I am so excited. I can't wait to get the car back on the road, after driving my pick-em-up all winter. I have some bling-bling to install (hood shocks, billet door switches, underhood chrome) and some Zaino to rub on. Sunday I'm gonna autocross her. I don't expect to win (been 15 years since I autocrossed), but she'll certainly sound better than all those little ricers!
Steve

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
GO GET EM!!!!

BTW......... If your battery is flat out dead, it's best to slow charge it up for several hours..... so that when you do "touch it off" it doesn't spank the diodes and other semi fragile electronics in the alternator quite so hard trying to bring it up from nothing...
I wouldn't do that too many times.... (I'm originally from Syracuse, quite familiar w/ dead and even frozen batteries)

Congrats on getting "redwing" out of the mothballs......
Enjoy!!!!!!
Jimmy:thumbsup:

Redwing

Established Member
Thank you for the advice Jimmysidecarr. As it happens I never touched the battery with the charger. I was amazed that after 3 1/2 months of sitting the battery had enough juice to fire the car, and that the car started immediately. Insurance clicks in tomorrow, and it's supposed to be a sunny day. Can't wait.
2 questions:
1] your sig implies that a Mystichrome cobra is coming today? If so, many many congratulations. The first time you crack the throttle you'll be in car heaven.
2] your name implies that you've had experience with a motorcycle/sidecar combination. True?
If so we have something in common, as I had a sidecar on my Goldwing for a few months. Hated it though.
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread