I'm really trying to understand something....

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
I have noticed from reading various threads that when it comes to unfair practices by big companies or government that there seems to be a general overall reluctance to fight back in this day and age as opposed to lets say 35 to 40 years ago.

For example, the 60's and 70's were characterized by many kinds of marches and protests both peaceful and unpeaceful over the Vietnam War, extreme price gauging of consumers by big companies of fuel and consumer goods and etc. People then were willing then to go into the streets and protest or boycott all the way to the point of either going to jail or loosing their lives in some extreme cases. Nonetheless they were willing to ban together to form a protesting voice in numbers in order to get things to change.

In contrast we have the same kinds of things going on in today's world but the generations of today just seem content in letting the actions of government and corporate entities continue to keep putting it to them. There are no mass protests or boycotts..there is absolutely no action being taken by the younger generations to stand up for their rights that are being eroded away and their money being taken from them by greedy people in high corporate places.

What is preventing you younger folks from getting together to show a single voice of solidarity as the folks did in the 60's and 70's to challenge the issues that are robbing everyone? Are you folks that apathetic to think you cannot make a difference?

What is ironic is that the protests and unity showed by people in the 60's and 70's is what paved the way to many of the changes that occured in the 80's and 90's to give you all the advantages you younger generations have been able to enjoy as you grew up and continue to experience even today.

Don't you want to try to make a better world for your own kids so they don't have to continue to lay down to the powers to be as you have chosen to?

Why is this??????????????? Why are you folks so extremely dead inside????

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
I think it has more to do with quality of life in America than being apathetic. Yeah sure people now adays talk like things are crap, but when it comes down to it life in 2007 is better(read: easier) than it was in the 60's and 70's...

Coiled03

Established Member
First of all - how old are you? Who are you to bash this generation?

Second of all - instead of getting on an internet forum and whining about it, try being a leader, and a catalyst for change. In other words, if you don't like it, get your ass out there and make something happen.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
I dont really feel I am being gouged on any consumer goods, just because gasoline is $3 a gallon I dont feel I am being ripped off. Coke use to be 5 cents, now its $1.25 and you dont even get the caine.

I dont have anything to protest about, life is great, couldnt be better.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Euphoric One said:
I would like this current generation to just STFU and concentrate on not being dumbasses.
Agree!

I think in the old days, business and government (mostly business) was fueled by the people, the people had a big influence on business. Nowadays, it's more politics, and money. Money and the stock market control what a business does rather than a small group of people with picket signs.

Nothing is for the people anymore, it's all for the money.

Rochard

Established Member
CobraKindaGuy said:
I have noticed from reading various threads that when it comes to unfair practices by big companies or government that there seems to be a general overall reluctance to fight back in this day and age as opposed to lets say 35 to 40 years ago.

For example, the 60's and 70's were characterized by many kinds of marches and protests both peaceful and unpeaceful over the Vietnam War, extreme price gauging of consumers by big companies of fuel and consumer goods and etc. People then were willing then to go into the streets and protest or boycott all the way to the point of either going to jail or loosing their lives in some extreme cases. Nonetheless they were willing to ban together to form a protesting voice in numbers in order to get things to change.

In contrast we have the same kinds of things going on in today's world but the generations of today just seem content in letting the actions of government and corporate entities continue to keep putting it to them. There are no mass protests or boycotts..there is absolutely no action being taken by the younger generations to stand up for their rights that are being eroded away and their money being taken from them by greedy people in high corporate places.

What is preventing you younger folks from getting together to show a single voice of solidarity as the folks did in the 60's and 70's to challenge the issues that are robbing everyone? Are you folks that apathetic to think you cannot make a difference?

What is ironic is that the protests and unity showed by people in the 60's and 70's is what paved the way to many of the changes that occured in the 80's and 90's to give you all the advantages you younger generations have been able to enjoy as you grew up and continue to experience even today.

Don't you want to try to make a better world for your own kids so they don't have to continue to lay down to the powers to be as you have chosen to?

Why is this??????????????? Why are you folks so extremely dead inside????

Either you missed the 80's or you were busy blowing coke up your nose.

The 80's were the "me" generation. It was all about "me me me me" and then "look at me look at me". No one cares about anyone else.

And there are lots of armchair warriors.

Our government is horrible. We attacked Bill Clinton because he lied about getting a blow job; This had nothing to do with the questions at hand and was a witch hunt. This impeachment - which is supposed to be very bad - was merely laughed off by the entire administration.

Now we have Bush in office and there is talk about impeaching him. While I agree Bush needs to go..... We need to stop with these witch hunts and perhaps pay attention to the problems at hand.

The recent bill passed is another shining example. Why pass a bill when you already know in advance that it's going to vetoed? Our lawmakers spent all of this time and money on what - making a statement to the President? We don't need them to make statements by passing bills that will get vetoed. Everyone already knows he's the least popular president of all time.

These are just a few examples in our goverment. But big companies are the same too.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Coiled03 said:
First of all - how old are you? Who are you to bash this generation?

Second of all - instead of getting on an internet forum and whining about it, try being a leader, and a catalyst for change. In other words, if you don't like it, get your ass out there and make something happen.

I am 53 years old . And lets get something straight. No body is whining about anything. And I am not bashing this generation. I am simply making an observation that is supported by what I have witnessed going on now compared to the decades in which I actively participated in the protests and boycotts I mentioned.

So I am certainly more than qualified to ask this question considering I did my time fighting for fairness, equity and equality that you folks seem to just take for granted now....10 years worth of time to be exact. I didn't bust my ass for an entire decade so that some lazy apathetic bastards can just sit with their heads up their pussy asses and let it all fall to the wayside and keep looking the other way like it ain't happening.

It's now your time to step up to the plate and start taking part in keeping things contained within reason so we all don't have to keep getting it put to us all.

Now if you can't handle the facts of the matter then how about you go ahead quit taking a FREE RIDE on the coat-tails of people such as myself or others who did their babysitting?

Last edited:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Rochard said:

The 80's were the "me" generation. It was all about "me me me me" and then "look at me look at me". No one cares about anyone else.

I didn't miss anything. And if you come right down to it it's still about "me" in this day and age. When push comes to shove there is no one here who will stand up to make a point.

Look at that lady who lost her son in Iraq and she continues to this day to hound Bush about it through her protests outside the whitehouse, Camp David and anywhere else Bush goes. And what does everyone say or do when they hear about her on the news? They do nothing but make fun of her and laugh at her protesting.

She stands for what American folks back in my generation use to get out and protest about....she fights for a voice to be heard and to make people in high places accountable. And most folks are just blowing her off as some crazed woman. Well in my books that lady has more guts than anyone of the folks that I'm referring to in my question.

And as for the remark that "today its more about politics". Why do you think that is? Its because people in high places make it a political issue because its the best distraction they can cause to keep you from thinking straight or protesting. They tie you up with BS issues and you people buy into it hook, line and sinker. The same crap was done in the 60's and 70's but a single generation saw through the ploy and went into the street to draw the attention to all the BS lies and rhetoric.

This is what America is supposed to be about....having a voice and creating change...not letting a handfull of people in high places of goverment and corporate America change you for their own greedy benefit.

Last edited:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Euphoric One said:
I'm thankful for less protests. I would like this current generation to just STFU and concentrate on not being dumbasses.

The only dumbasses we are talking about here are the people who never earned it in the first place and are now the ones who have decided to be complacent and give it all away.

trueblueeyes

Established Member
Great...an aging hippie. Do you smell funny too?

What? You didn't expect a serious reply after extolling the virtues of Cindy Sheehan did you? A woman that I did have some sympathy for, at least until she went wayyy off the edge...including traveling to Venezuela and kissing the ass of fellow fruitcake Hugo Chavez. Let me guess...do you also think Rosie, Sean Penn, and "Hanoi" Jane Fonda are all terrific Americans? Anyway...The sixties called, and they want you and their love beads back. And why are you on SVTP? Shouldn't you be driving a Volkswagon?

Last edited:

SNMUSTANG

Established Member
CKG,
I agree that most of us don't seem to care about politics one way or the other. I do, but I don't come to this board to worry about that. I've learned to take that elsewhere.
What bothers me is the headline of the Detroit Free Press today proclaimed 'It's a new Ford'. The car manufacturer we love has turned the corner!
Not enough of us talking about that on here.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I wised up... I'm 54 years old and I am now very conservative politically.

Now I'm too busy for protests...

I vote... and I vote everytime... primaries the whole deal.

I send e-mails when I feel compelled...

If I have issues with a corporation... THEY SIMPLY DON'T GET MY BUSINESS!

Generally speaking I'm very happy with my life.

I keep busy and I don't worry about things that I can not change.

Oh... you can count on me voting for the most Conservative candidate when ever I vote.

I certainly don't lose any sleep about Global Warming, whales, one eyed newts, darter snails, or the plight of the poor.

I would like to see Islamic terrorist get their asses kicked anywhere they may happen to be.

I don't give a rats ass what world opinion of the USA is as long as they are scared shitless of what we might do if they pull any serious crap!.... That's my foreign policy.

WORKS FOR ME..

tvguy

Rochard said:

And there are lots of armchair warriors.

Our government is horrible. We attacked Bill Clinton because he lied about getting a blow job; This had nothing to do with the questions at hand and was a witch hunt. This impeachment - which is supposed to be very bad - was merely laughed off by the entire administration.

Now we have Bush in office and there is talk about impeaching him. While I agree Bush needs to go..... We need to stop with these witch hunts and perhaps pay attention to the problems at hand.

The recent bill passed is another shining example. Why pass a bill when you already know in advance that it's going to vetoed? Our lawmakers spent all of this time and money on what - making a statement to the President? We don't need them to make statements by passing bills that will get vetoed. Everyone already knows he's the least popular president of all time.

These are just a few examples in our goverment. But big companies are the same too.

Actually you are incorrect. The "current" generation (aka Generation "Y") is indeed the "ME" generation. They are also the "narcissistic" generation and the most "coddled" generation we've EVER had. I did an interview today with a professor who spoke about "crying in the office place". Our young people no longer have to deal with "dodge ball", "F" grades or really any sort of failure in their lives during their youth. They are told they are "successful" even though they are not. Their parents (Generation X) have coddled these children to the point of creating a generation of "pussies". Also, they are told to "spill their emotions". Hence the story of "crying in the office place". To me it is sickening that "my" generation now as parents have done the damage they have to their kids. It's NOT reality.

I'm not sure what the OP has in mind for kids to "protest" over. Life is actually good these days for this generation. VERY good. Unemployment is VERY low. Their parents are "relatively" loaded due to the recent real estate boom across the country. For the "teens" gas money etc. comes from the parents and money flows easily these days. They have it "good". The "war" may be an issue, but obviously not enough for them to really "protest" about. Many probably don't understand "either" side of the issue. Nor care. It's a FAR different world than what a "53" year old grew up in. Things have changed. I cannot fathom what the "kids" these days will be like as parents.
PACOTACO

Last edited by a moderator:

chicken714

NKAWTG
Established Member
I'm 24 I don't know what generation I fall into, I'm to busy making sure others can enjoy what I do. Who those others are is debatable (Iraqis?) but....
I agree with there being a lot of pussies out there. I think that a person is going to do what they think they need to do, and a lot of these "kids" don't see the need to do anything, or change anything.
Cindy Sheehan is a loser and is not the kind of person we need more of. Can you be more specific when you say "lay down to the powers that be"?

Last edited:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
trueblueeyes said:
Great...an aging hippie. Do you smell funny too?

What? You didn't expect a serious reply after extolling the virtues of Cindy Sheehan did you? A woman that I did have some sympathy for, at least until she went wayyy off the edge...including traveling to Venezuela and kissing the ass of fellow fruitcake Hugo Chavez. Let me guess...do you also think Rosie, Sean Penn, and "Hanoi" Jane Fonda are all terrific Americans? Anyway...The sixties called, and they want you and their love beads back. And why are you on SVTP? Shouldn't you be driving a Volkswagon?

And if you want to get down and dirty about it, my generation doesn't have to have counseling centers and therapists around every corner to help us through every single of life's normal ups and downs. Hell the biggest mistake I ever made was changing my major out from Psychology. I could have been economically set for life with the wealth of emotional pussies that exist within your ranks today. Hell your generation's women are emotionally stronger than you girlie-men. :kaboom:

Users who are viewing this thread