I'm pinging!

sir-blah

Established Member
I was just out with the car and in 4'th gave it some gas from about 60 and it started pinging pretty bad. I have a 2.93 upper and the Predator tune in there. I tried yanking all of the timing, and adding fuel with the pred and still pinging, even worse with the timing out. Any suggestions? I'm going to get it on the dyno as soon as possible, it was tuned on one and had no problem then.

Rwick7

Established Member
Where did you get gas? Probably bad gas...maybe uninstall and then reinstall the flash

sir-blah

Established Member
Originally posted by StlBlack03
Where did you get gas? Probably bad gas...maybe uninstall and then reinstall the flash

Same place as always, Mobil. Same station too... I thought bad gas might be the problem, but now I have to cruise out a tank of gas with out opening it up to check :cuss:

maoun

Established Member
probably oxygenated gas.....contact whoever sold u the predator for a free custom tune

Fastford

Established Member
Problem is the peditor doesnt really work. Its a good idea that doesnt function correctly.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
it's a great idea, but it should be tuned like a chip! if chips could be bought off the shelf with programs in it people would be throwing them in and pinging too!

You guys loading the predator program without dynoing are out of your ****ing mind. pay the 100 bucks and go to the dyno.

ALA G8R

Banned
Originally posted by Fastford
Problem is the peditor doesnt really work. Its a good idea that doesnt function correctly.

Fastford, the Predator works fine.

sir-blah, with a 2.93 you may need to pull a little more timing than the 10% allowable on the slider adjustment. With the pulley tune, 10% retard will give you approx 23 degrees max timing at WOT. You should be at 21 or 22. Especially if you suspect bad gas. RWTD posted a procedure for pulling additional timing on Modularfords. LINK

I am running 23 degrees with a 3.1 and a 10% rich adjustment on fuel and it runs great on 93 pump gas. Dyno sheet is in my sig.

Last edited:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I hate to say it, but it seems this is not uncommon with that combination.

Last edited:

sir-blah

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
it's a great idea, but it should be tuned like a chip! if chips could be bought off the shelf with programs in it people would be throwing them in and pinging too!

You guys loading the predator program without dynoing are out of your ****ing mind. pay the 100 bucks and go to the dyno.

I did get it dyno'd. When the pulleys were put on they dyno'd with the pred tune and it was fine. This pinging is a recent event.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Check to make sure you don't have any loose vacuum lines-- this is a common problem with extra boost.

Do you get oxygenated gas come November where you live? If so, you really might need a retune-- has happened to a lot of guys.

Tim03cobra

Established Member
Add a gallon a Xylene to your fuel. I beleave it is 114 octain and lead free. I used it all of the time on my 99 GTP at the race track and never had any issues.

NightEnforcer

Established Member
If you have a full tank of fuel, burn off about 4 gallons and then add 4 gallons of 100 octane or higher unleaded racing fuel. Make sure you give it time to mix with the fuel you presently have in your tank before getting on it. Try the same technique you did to get it to ping before. If it doesn't, I bet along with the others that you got some gas that might not be bad in the true sense of the word, but different than what you ran before. Oxygenated fuels are a bitch and do not always offer the same anti knock properties as non oxygenated fuels. I would also like to ad that you might want to check your plugs for detonation before you go too far. Especially 7 and 8. What plugs are you running? Once you burn the tank of fuel up, try a different gas station or brand of fuel. If the problem continues you may need a custom tune or try a one step colder plug.

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
Why would oxygenated gas cause pinging? I assume there is less explosions?
The reason I ask is because we have Petro Canada that offers 94 but it has "Tactrol" in it. They advertise that it cleans your engine when it's used. Does this mean it's BS, I mean it says 94 but should I get a 91 octane tune if and when I get a chip?

Sorry for the thread btw. Just came to me and had to ask.

NightEnforcer

Established Member
There are many reasons, and if you search the internet you will find enough info to keep you busy for weeks. The issue is that different companies change the formula for their oxy fuels in different ways. Some add chemicals, some take some chemicals out and some substitute chemicals. The anti knock additives may be different in the oxy fuel than the non oxy fuel from the same manufacturer. A little moisture in the fuel tank,(yours and theirs) a little cooler charge temperature, a little different fuel mix and you have ping or detonation start to occur. If you are pushing over 12 lbs of boost, I would run the 94 in the winter just to be safe.

maoun

Established Member
does anybody other than me realize a large flaw in saying that your timing is at xx degrees (e.g., 23 degrees)....does that mean it's not varying??? if so, sounds like a crazy idea that your timing is always the same....

m.

lethal

Established Member
Please remember that the Predator pulley tune is set up for X amount of additional boost. If you have a very tight setup, and the weather cools down, it might be worthwhile to adjust the Predator's fuel delivery up. Better to run rich during the winter when the air temperature can really get down there. I disagree that the Predator functions incorrectly. I believe people who have engines with really efficient air flow (14+ lbs psi) from their pulley combinations are right on the edge and should be adjusted as required. Sir-blah said he was on the dyno, and alot of great suggestions were made to test the problem (high octane gas, try to recreate pinging scenario). I'd also add to check the plugs and richen the mix if you can't get to a dyno.

John

ALA G8R

Banned
Originally posted by maoun
does anybody other than me realize a large flaw in saying that your timing is at xx degrees (e.g., 23 degrees)....does that mean it's not varying??? if so, sounds like a crazy idea that your timing is always the same....

m.

That is certainly not what I said. I said my max timing was 23 at WOT. It's less at lower RPM.

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by sir-blah
I was just out with the car and in 4'th gave it some gas from about 60 and it started pinging pretty bad. I have a 2.93 upper and the Predator tune in there. I tried yanking all of the timing, and adding fuel with the pred and still pinging, even worse with the timing out. Any suggestions? I'm going to get it on the dyno as soon as possible, it was tuned on one and had no problem then.

What octane are you using? I had the same problem with 91 Ca. gas and the Predator Pulley tune so I just used some 93 octane (blended from 10 gal. of 91 + 3 gal of 100) and it works great. It worked so well that I put the 2.80 pulley on with the same gas and tune and it worked even better. Now, I'm just waiting for a dyno tune for 91 octane. Hopefully this week. Until then, I'm sticking to the 93 octane mixture.

Users who are viewing this thread