Im new on here just looking arround. (pics of my car)

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
great work jason... only took you what... 5 years?

Well the car was off the road for 5 years because I used to be dumb and had 13 points on my license. I didnt spend the entire time building the car and you know that. You also forgot to mention the Supercharged 00 GT I used to own. Which I had to build a new motor for after cracking 4 pistons. I did build the entire car by myself and payed cash for all the parts. All 40k So after all that. I dont think 5 years was so bad. What I did in 5 would have taken you 10 to just build. Sorry Derek I have to pick on you.

racerbox77

Established Member
Was the car hit in the front? Is that why you took it apart? Is it a true Cobra?
Car is very well put together. Once the weather breaks grab the slicks and head to the strip Im very interested to see the times and mph. How much boost are you running?

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
Was the car hit in the front? Is that why you took it apart? Is it a true Cobra?
Car is very well put together. Once the weather breaks grab the slicks and head to the strip Im very interested to see the times and mph. How much boost are you running?

When I was 17 the car was in a slight front end accident. The body shop jacked the car up by the lower tie bar (bottom of core support) , which bent the bar from the weight of the car. At the time I didnt know this until I became a body guy/ mechanic. So instead of pulling it back into shape I replaced the core support. The car is a true cobra ,Im the second owner. The car is 2997 and I do have all the original paper work. I actually just found out how much boost I was running this past week after I installed my gauges. Im running 8 lbs of boost to my surprise. I thought the wastegate was set for 10lbs

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
Thanks for all the compliments. When i sat down and figued out what i wanted to run, I chose to run 60lb injectors with a blow through mass air calibrated for 60's, but i also thought the wastegate was much higher then 8lbs of boost. Im running 40lbs of fuel pressure, but at full boost im running a afr of 10.4. thats way to rich for my blood. So I did some math. With bsfc of .6 and the injectors im running. at a 80% duty cycle, I could make a little over 600 hp and be safe . Well after relizing im only running 8lbs of boost, 40psi of fuel pressure is over kill. I could go as low as 70% duty cycle and still have enough fuel left over to make much more power. My question is how low is to low to run the injectors. Im not getting rid of my setup. If i have to I'll just run more boost.

Last edited:

stradt03

Established Member
where are you going to school? My parents live right outside detroit area and I am in Detroit area visiting them pretty often. I'd love to see that thing when you get it up here.

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
Im going to CCS for car design. Im not 100% sure when I will be bringing the car up, Im really freaked out about getting caught in a snow storm when driving it back to MI

Last edited:

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
So in 3 weeks I'm supposed to drive my cobra to detroit. At this point Im not sure I want to now. Last night I noticed the rad had a little coolant arround some of the cores. So I pressure tested and it held 15 psi for some hours. The other thing that just started to freak me out, is after the engine is running for about 5 mins, it starts to smoke. Like there is some oil burning off in the downpipe or maybe their is a leaky valve seal, beside this bs, the car run awesome. So should I just forget about it and drive it up hoping for the best or should I just keep it down here and tell my gf she just spent 2k for new tire and misc stuff for nothing. I will only be driving the car to school; which is 3 mins up the road. The other issue is If the car ever does break; I have no place to work on it...... Today I fly back to Detroit, So I have no more time to work on the car. Im typing this just to get my thoughts out, any advice.

stradt03

Established Member
where are you going to school? My parents live right outside detroit area and I am in Detroit area visiting them pretty often. I'd love to see that thing when you get it up here.

Ok I know where that is. I went to Wayne State for my chemistry degree. I know the area quite well. Where are you living? If you are living downtown anywhere near the Cass/Warren area I would just leave you car at home. Cars get broken into and/or stolen on a pretty regular basis.

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
Ok I know where that is. I went to Wayne State for my chemistry degree. I know the area quite well. Where are you living? If you are living downtown anywhere near the Cass/Warren area I would just leave you car at home. Cars get broken into and/or stolen on a pretty regular basis.

I live downtown in a apartment complex right across the st from the ren cen.

1slohawk

Established Member
If it were me I wouldn't drive it. thats a long drive and like you said if something goes wrong you have nowhere to work on it. not to mention a nice car like that I'd hate to see left outside lol. I'd invest in a cheap beater. I have a turbo cobra and i don't trust it leaving my area let alone driving that far. and "knock on wood" besides my trans breaking a few weeks ago the car runs strong, but with modded cars you always have to expect for them to break.

Users who are viewing this thread