I'm free!!!

Labinnac

El Chimpo Grande!
Established Member
The normally ass backwards state of SC graciously granted me my long awaited divorce yesterday.

Thank you SC! It friggin took long enough...

I couldn't have done it without the support of my friends and family. My mom always told me "When push comes to shove you'll find out who your real friends are." She was right! My family are all far away and my friends helped me through the dark times and I won't ever forget any of it.

They also saw to it that I stayed in a wonderfully numb alchohol induced state all last night too. I wasn't drowning my sorry though, I was CELEBRATING!

Labinnac

El Chimpo Grande!
Established Member
Oh that's the best part! She basically left me high and dry with bills out the ass and all the responsibilies we amassed together, pets, mortgage, etc. I told her when she left that I was cool with that but she doesn't get shit from me after the divorce and I get full custody of my dogs. I wasn't about to get jerked around and she agreed and put it in writing. But there was always the possibility that I'd still get screwed though so I did what I could. The hardest part was playing nice actually. It isn't like I got off free though, I have been paying on our mutual debt for the last year and still have a bit to go. If all goes well though I'll be completely debt free very soon.

So far everything is going as planned. Soon my evil little bachelor empire will be complete!

roadracer247

Established Member
So she left you with all the bills and all the problems and you think you won? It sounds like she got out of paying off all the stuff you two were behind on and now you have to pay it all off. That doesn't sound like a win to me...sounds like a loss. I guess your now "ex" wife was really that horrible...and that makes it a win? Since you no longer have to see her?

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Wouldn't be so bad paying off the bills if you get to keep the things associated with the bills.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
roadracer247 said:
So she left you with all the bills and all the problems and you think you won? It sounds like she got out of paying off all the stuff you two were behind on and now you have to pay it all off. That doesn't sound like a win to me...sounds like a loss.

That does suck, but in the end I think he did get very lucky.

I've seen many of my friends financially ruined by divorce. In this country, divorce laws are VERY unfair to men.

One of my good friends who got divorced last year was basically put in the poor house.

He runs his own business and used to have a net worth of well over $1 million before the divorce. He has 2 kids and his wife hasn't worked in 17 years.

She got to keep their huge house and most everything in it. He was ordered to pay child support and alimony. She also got to keep most of his investments.

Now he lives in a small apartment and can barely make ends meet. He's financially ruined.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Well that sux. I guess people should be more careful about the people they marry.

BigRick

Whippled Roush
Established Member
Congratulations. :beer: Now do yourself a favor and dont make the same mistake again.

2003 Silver

Banned
roadracer247 said:
So she left you with all the bills and all the problems and you think you won? It sounds like she got out of paying off all the stuff you two were behind on and now you have to pay it all off. That doesn't sound like a win to me...sounds like a loss. I guess your now "ex" wife was really that horrible...and that makes it a win? Since you no longer have to see her?

Sound like he is no measuring his victory in dollars/cents....his victory is his new found freedom. :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
sharkbite1979 said:
Wouldn't be so bad paying off the bills if you get to keep the things associated with the bills.
That's a good point, especially if those things he got to keep are things that he wanted/needed.

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
NyteByte said:

I've seen many of my friends financially ruined by divorce. In this country, divorce laws are VERY unfair to men.

One of my good friends who got divorced last year was basically put in the poor house.

He runs his own business and used to have a net worth of well over $1 million before the divorce. He has 2 kids and his wife hasn't worked in 17 years.

She got to keep their huge house and most everything in it. He was ordered to pay child support and alimony. She also got to keep most of his investments.

Now he lives in a small apartment and can barely make ends meet. He's financially ruined.

Thats bullshit, now I know why guys just kill their wives instead of gettin divorced.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
NyteByte said:

woulda been cheaper to keep er'

Labinnac

El Chimpo Grande!
Established Member
Oh yeah, it's definitely a win for me. :thumbsup: We were together for almost 8 years, 2 of that married. In that time we both accumulated debt but most of it was actually mine so no worries. When we split up I really didn't have much shit to lose so I didn't care. I also got everything I wanted to keep to boot.

I got the dogs but she did get my truck which was the first brand new vehicle I ever bought and paid for in full. My friend said I should write a country song about that. All in all there weren't many tangibles that we had. Appliances, furniture, etc, all stayed with me for the most part so that was a win. The rest was just stupid debt that started while I was in college and snowballed a bit after I graduated. I got a credit card with the intent to build a kick ass computer system for example. ****ING :bash: DUMBASS :bash: IDEA! I built that computer all right and it kicked ass for a couple of years but died years before it was completely paid for. That was all a learning experience though.

I too have met more than a few guys who were absolutely devastated financially from a divorce. Going through a tough year pinching pennies was a PITA but it wasn't so bad. Selling the cobra was a sad day but I was VERY glad to see it go because that was the first step to my eventual recovery. I wasn't dumb enough to have any rugrats either so I dodged that bullet. The dogs are no big deal either. They eat like livestock and require vast amounts of attention but they make me laugh every dar so they earn all of that and then some.

So in the end I'll be starting over from scratch basically. This isn't so bad though since I've been in the hole since I met the now ex. Starting from scratch will be fun now that I'm making good money AND I'm single AND I've learned from my mistakes. It can only get better!

:pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

tvguy

youngone said:
Thats bullshit, now I know why guys just kill their wives instead of gettin divorced.

Wonderful, get divorced and be "free" like this guy or kill your wife and rot in jail for a lifetime. Hmm, which one would I pick?
pacotaco

Just to add, "PRENUPS" my friends, "PRENUPS". It may suck to get them signed when you're all "cutsie" right before your wedding, but it sure the hell ends any and all issues if things don't go right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
NyteByte said:

I hate to hear stories like this. Most of the fault for these types of outcomes usually lies with the attorney representing the guy. Word to the wise - if your attorney is not getting the job done for you, fire their worthless ass and get one that works FOR YOU and aggressively acts in your best interests. So many attorneys these days start off (with their prima donna attitudes) by telling you how it's going to be and how you're going to get screwed. If your attorney is one of those, FIRE THEM IMMEDIATELY!

When I was going through a divorce a couple of years ago, I ended up using three different attorneys (I fired the first two because they were so worthless and inept I couldn't believe it). I finally ended up with a female attorney who was extremely experienced and aggressive and did things the way they are supposed to be done. She worked for me and she knew it.

In my case, I ended up keeping my business (free and clear), I got the house, I have custody of my (now) 8 year old son and my ex pays me child support every month. She gets visitation every other weekend and that's about it. I also was awarded part of her retirement accounts and a judgement against her for partial attorney fees (about $5300) that she just recently paid off.

Not to mention that she ran up over $40,000 of her own attorneys fees (mine were in the vicinity of $16k). I ended up taking my first two attorneys to fee arbitration because they were so worthless. I won both of those also.

Yes, it is possible for a guy to come out on top in these situations. Be aggressive and don't let the legal system screw you. Instead use it to your advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread