Im about to pull my hair out ....

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
I have read and searched for a answer but havent really came up with any other case like this. So im asking and seeing what your opinions are :bored:

Went to the strip last week and ran the Lightning ( on slicks by the way ). First pass was on Race tune #1 and on this tune I pulled the following..CAR number 41 ( the 1 got chopped off but its a 12.14) oh and ignore the grandma like reaction time, i was focusing on launch technique and not reaction times so I was sleeping at the lights :rollseyes

scan1timeslip.jpg

then changed to Race tune #2, the only thing different about this tune is the fact that it has ONE more degree of timing. And the result...

scan2timeslip.jpg

then to double check the gains I ran again....

scan0002-1.jpg

Now I know the 60 and the eighth mile differs a bit from slip to slip but ....
how in the hell do you GAIN 8MPH IN QUARTER MILE TRAP SPEED, and yet retain almost the exact et at the end of the quarter mile??????

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
There's more than just a degree of spark difference in the tunes.

hmmmm, there is NOT suppose to be, the first tune is 13 and the second is 14* but besides that how do you get all that extra speed and no reduction in time???????

DolSVT00

Established Member
Spinning makes your MPH increase, the style of ramp in your timing will make your MPH increase, your total timing will make your MPH increase.

With a 1.7 60' you have 2 problems 1. weight ( i know you stripped the truck so this is obsolete) 2. Crappy tune with BS ramped timing and poo converter lockup.

Your slappers are not the problem unless you were unloading, and I don't see that,cause I cut 1.5's gutted with slappers...............

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
Spinning makes your MPH increase, the style of ramp in your timing will make your MPH increase, your total timing will make your MPH increase.

With a 1.7 60' you have 2 problems 1. weight ( i know you stripped the truck so this is obsolete) 2. Crappy tune with BS ramped timing and poo converter lockup.

Your slappers are not the problem unless you were unloading, and I don't see that,cause I cut 1.5's gutted with slappers...............

well I know that A. the slappers are not adjusted right because I have a huge gap on the passenger side and B. I was spinning coming off the line, I felt it and I had two guys behind me on the launch and they both seen it.

As for the timing and ramp...I dont know about that stuff so I cant say what/where it is other than the total timing was 13 and 14 degrees on the tunes.

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
Hell the 60ft time, eighth mile time and trap is pretty close.........so its on the other end where something is going on. Im picking up a lot of speed...

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
timing+ boost= MPH i've run 94mph in the 1/8th but it took 24* on 20# of eaton boost to do it.

my tunes are very mild a/f in the low 11s ( rich ) and weak timing im NOT worried about blowing this motor AT ALL. But I would like to crack the 11.99 mark with it. We could bump the a/f up to 11.7 and jack the timing up to 16* and make a dump truck full of horse power but im keeping this thing safe. Im just trying to see what suggestions I can get on where I might need to look to get the tenth and a half I need. And the fact that I didnt cut et from one tune to the next is making me crazy :??:

DolSVT00

Established Member
And the fact that I didnt cut et from one tune to the next is making me crazy :??:

Here's the bottom line, Ive played with it tons to know you can MPH some stupid number in the 1/8 or the 1/4 but the key is not MPH with a aerodynamicly challenged vehicle. With these trucks you need 60' times, take it from someone who drag races alot.

Look at a cobra for instance Most of the 10 second guys trap 133-135 MPH and run high 10's yet most of the "L" guys trap 123-126mph and run mid 10's........ why? cause they cut 1.3-1.4 60's.

To get your goal on a stock block you need a 60' and to get that you need ta good timing ramp or a locked timing setup.

And don't poke at the Carolina boys If you want I can pull up 10 threads where we tried to steer you in the correct directions but yet you took the path that we have already been down and are making the mistakes that we already made.

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
Here's the bottom line, Ive played with it tons to know you can MPH some stupid number in the 1/8 or the 1/4 but the key is not MPH with a aerodynamicly challenged vehicle. With these trucks you need 60' times, take it from someone who drag races alot.

Look at a cobra for instance Most of the 10 second guys trap 133-135 MPH and run high 10's yet most of the "L" guys trap 123-126mph and run mid 10's........ why? cause they cut 1.3-1.4 60's.

To get your goal on a stock block you need a 60' and to get that you need ta good timing ramp or a locked timing setup.

And don't poke at the Carolina boys If you want I can pull up 10 threads where we tried to steer you in the correct directions but yet you took the path that we have already been down and are making the mistakes that we already made.

thank you for your input.

anyone else want to give their thoughts?

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
First things first, your first slip is wrong. Look at your 3 1/8 speeds. 90, 89, 89. There's no way you went from 106 to 114mph with your 1/8 mph being the same. Something was wrong with the equipment because it's just not possible. It happens sometimes. I get jacked up slips occasionally too.

On to your question though. I'd have to know what exactly your mods are in order to give any advice as to what to do next. You're almost there, so it shouldn't take much.

Dusten

Established Member
First things first, your first slip is wrong. Look at your 3 1/8 speeds. 90, 89, 89. There's no way you went from 106 to 114mph with your 1/8 mph being the same. Something was wrong with the equipment because it's just not possible. It happens sometimes. I get jacked up slips occasionally too.

On to your question though. I'd have to know what exactly your mods are in order to give any advice as to what to do next. You're almost there, so it shouldn't take much.

this is what i was thinking too. your et and mph don't match your 60' on the first slip. i've run 12.80's @ 108 with 1.8 60's.... i say go back and run the first tune a few more times to compare

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member

Well thanks, thats the kind of post im looking for. :beer:

Full mod list......

Dynatech Longtube
Dynatech mid
Bassani catback
Eibach 2/4 drop
Lakewood slappers
Driveshaft loop
2.3 Whipple 3.375 pulley
4lb lower
2400 massair
Single blade TB
NGK BR7 plugs
60lb injectors
255 dual pumps
LFP oil sep
Shift kit ( custom )
2400 stall
Hoosiers on Bajas about 13psi

I " think " thats it :read:

ttk53

Established Member
simple left lane reads lower than the right?????????????/

looks like you never ran in the left lane again

DolSVT00

Established Member
simple left lane reads lower than the right?????????????/

looks like you never ran in the left lane again

Ya, tracks can read screwey I only look at MPH when its consistant. Ive run a 7.30 at 72mph in the 1/8........ Tell me how thats possible, I must have hit warp drive off the line and hit the brakes half track.

chrisheltra

Established Member
On a positive note Snakebit the local forum is having a track rental tomorrow if youd like to come down and maybe we can help you out some. Its a couple hour drive for you but it should be a good time.

More info here.

April 25th will be the day, Dewayne’s World Fast Track (Bowman) will be the place.The cost will be $15 a vehicle but will be a closed event for the Miata club, Carolina Horsepower, and possibly the Coastal Carolina Corvette club. The time will be from 2-6pm. Spectators will be allowed but at a reduced rate.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Guys guys guys, take it easy. Nothing to get all worked up about.

Well thanks, thats the kind of post im looking for. :beer:

Full mod list......

Dynatech Longtube
Dynatech mid
Bassani catback
Eibach 2/4 drop
Lakewood slappers
Driveshaft loop
2.3 Whipple 3.375 pulley
4lb lower
2400 massair
Single blade TB
NGK BR7 plugs
60lb injectors
255 dual pumps
LFP oil sep
Shift kit ( custom )
2400 stall
Hoosiers on Bajas about 13psi

I " think " thats it :read:

It looks like you have enough to get into the 11's as long as the track prep and weather are good. You just need to whittle down those 60 fts. I was able to get into the 11's pretty consistently with basically the same mods. Personally, I'd ditch the slappers. I cut better 60ft times at that power level with longbars. You could also swap to Metco's. I was consistently cutting 1.60-1.62 60fts, so that right there would get you into the 11's. The Hoosier's are a decent tire, but they don't do quite as well as a Hoosier radial slick or a M/T Drag Radial in my experience. Swap out those bars and possibly the tires and work on those 60 fts and you'll be there.

Users who are viewing this thread