I'm a new Lethal customer...

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
That's right, I just orderered from them (my first time). I ordered the AFCO pro series dual pass heat exchanger. Jared had sent me a PM when I posted about wanting an LFP HE. I called today and he picked up, was professional and polite and got my business. I know others have used Lethal and been pleased... now I am too!

Here is a question though. What kind of lower grill guard can I use to protect it? My stock HE has taken a beating from being a daily driver. I want to protect the AFCO from all the crap that flies up from the road. I know that Gords makes one but I wondered if there were other choices. Grillcraft makes one, but I don't want to drill holes in the painted area of the bumper. Any ideas?

Thanks, Bob :beer:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Talk to Dwight, I'm pretty sure he's got some sort of home depot screen in front of his HE. At least that would prevent most large debris from hitting it.

TRBO VNM

just go to home depot and get the metal gutter guard. cut a couple of the wires on the screen to make the hole larger for the front bolts that hold the HE bracket together. you can also paint it if you want so it isn't silver.

convert03cobra

Established Member
I did what was mentioned above. I went to home depot, got a roll of hard metal screen (about 1/4 inch holes), cut about 2 inches bigger then the grill front on each side, bent it around the hole from the back(inside engine) while the old HE was out and molded it to the opening. I then zip tied it up with the small pieces of plactic that run vertical in the bumper opening. Put the new HE in and presto, instant HE guard...lol

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
You can find some on E-Bay. I bought mine off there and like it since it is Stainless Steel Mesh. Cost like $25 plus shipping

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of a simple screen, though the stainless steel is what I would look for. I was wanting to mount it just inside the bumper opening, not up against the heat exchanger. I may just have to fabricate my own. I plan to keep looking.

Any other ideas? :coolman:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Yeah Bob, Lethal does a nice job. And AFCO makes a nice aftermarket HE.

While upgrading your heat exchanger can definately help a bit with keeping a boosted Eaton setup a little cooler, they are not miracle workers and have distinct limitations. That being said, it semi defeats the purpose to put a screen in front of them which will impede air flow to the front of the exchanger. I've seen many cases where folks buy or make screens which are an air flow restriction.

Mike Mock (EatonEggbeater) custom fabricated mine 4 years ago and he did a great job. It attaches to the inside of the lower grill opening and totally serves the purpose.

Last edited:

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Thanks for the picture Dwight. You are right about the air flow concern. I want to protect it, not choke it. I am looking to mount something just inside the lower grill like yours. I have some ideas about different materials. I'll post some pics after I narrow it down.

How is yours attatched to the inside of the bumper? :coolman:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I have it zip tied to the bottom and actually am just using two 1" pieces of rubber hose to wedge it in at the upper corners. Kinda jerry-rigged, but effective.........

Users who are viewing this thread