Iintake manifold spacers?

marcoc

Established Member
Yes i know search but need clear cut truth about the intake manifold spacers sold for our gen. Cobras not the previous SN95 which is the majority that show up in searches. The concencus i seem to find is it just alters where in the rpm band the motor makes peak HP and it my give an NA car a few more FT/LBS of torque. I also read its not worth the $ due to not improving performance. Does anyone have true WHP dyno numbers with this actually providing power and not on a boosted, stroked, or crazy hp making monster a normal bolt on car like many of us drive. Pretty much is this worth the $100 to actually provide some hp, not that i don't trust the vendor but they want to make a profit and it may make power on a boosted, etc. motor. Any thoughts? Thanks.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Spacers do not change the rpm where peak occurs. As for what they do, I've installed them and seen no gain while others swear they saw an increase of power. IMO, put your money into other mods.

Kirk01

Established Member
Spacers do not change the rpm where peak occurs. As for what they do, I've installed them and seen no gain while others swear they saw an increase of power. IMO, put your money into other mods.

Exactly this. If you have an extra 100 bucks and need an excuse to work on your car, buy it. But don't buy it and expect a big change.

marcoc

Established Member
I am new to these motors so not an excuse to spend $100 and waste my time for nothing. This is why I ask before I act. Not looking for smart ass answers just facts. In the German car tuning world it was a viable mod, this is why I ask. As I have seen now its a waste of time. Thanks for the help.:burn: sorry just looking for info but I guess that's a lot to ask.

Last edited:

NicksGTR

Established Member
Early 99 Cobra

This doesn't apply to my motor as I am using an 04 Mach 1 lower, but on an early 99 Cobra with a non re-called lower manifold would this help in the hp category?

Kirk01

Established Member
I am new to these motors so not an excuse to spend $100 and waste my time for nothing. This is why I ask before I act. Not looking for smart ass answers just facts. In the German car tuning world it was a viable mod, this is why I ask. As I have seen now its a waste of time. Thanks for the help.:burn: sorry just looking for info but I guess that's a lot to ask.

It wasn't a smart ass answer. I bought a spacer strictly because I needed a reason to get under the hood and turn a wrench.

Most mods on these cars aren't going to get you crazy hp numbers without boost. Save your time and money and find a used F/I system.

marcoc

Established Member
OK I guess i took it the wrong way :shrug:. So I take it it was not a mod worth the money or time. To me if it doesnt provide in improvement in performance then its not worth my time, unless its a just in case mod such as the Head Cooling mod.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
This doesn't apply to my motor as I am using an 04 Mach 1 lower, but on an early 99 Cobra with a non re-called lower manifold would this help in the hp category?

How did a 99 cobra slip through the cracks and end up without the "Fix" and still have a non-recalled lower manifold? Weren't all those intakes cast to the depths of hell? Or at least re-installed on cars exported to third world countries? I thought Ford was responsible enough to at least melt them all down so they couldn't disappoint anyone.

If the 99 Cobra has a non-recalled lower, I'm sure the recall still applies. Take it to an SVT dealer and see if they can hook you up with a post-recall green-dot intake. They've GOT to do something or have some extras laying around somewhere.. Finally getting "The fix" will give that car a whole hell of a lot more power than an intake spacer on a pre-recall intake.

zPipes

Established Member
Ive seen posts with dynos, and seen very knowledgeable guys in here discuss this before.

There is NO clear answer, it may help, it may not, it will probably help with a forced induction car. The numbers are likely 5-15hp with the high range on boosted cars.

I bought one once, but with so much speculation, it was worth selling it to someone else before even installing it.

My take on a mod, if there has to be a debate, it aint worth it. Just like MAF and throttle bodies, this spacer is probably best left on the shelf and your money spent on a different mod for power gains.

marcoc

Established Member
Ive seen posts with dynos, and seen very knowledgeable guys in here discuss this before.

There is NO clear answer, it may help, it may not, it will probably help with a forced induction car. The numbers are likely 5-15hp with the high range on boosted cars.

I bought one once, but with so much speculation, it was worth selling it to someone else before even installing it.

My take on a mod, if there has to be a debate, it aint worth it. Just like MAF and throttle bodies, this spacer is probably best left on the shelf and your money spent on a different mod for power gains.

Well put.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member

An Aftermarket MAF is frequently needed on F/I cars as the stock 80mm is easily pegged..could go the MAFIA route as well.

But purely for HP gains then a MAF should not be installed.

fangs99

Established Member
I picked up a spacer for my car but i has a idea to make it worth mounting..... I wanna make it into a nitrous plate.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I picked up a spacer for my car but i has a idea to make it worth mounting..... I wanna make it into a nitrous plate.

Now THAT's a good idea.. Why hasn't anyone thought of that before?

That's probably the best nitrous delivery system I can think of besides individual port systems such as fogger nozzles or those adapters that mount underneath each fuel injector.

A perimeter plate that big has some huge potential.. Just as long as there's nowhere within the runners to cause fuel puddling.

I'll just get out my CNC machine and whip up a batch.... be riiiight back. haha

Homer

Users who are viewing this thread