If you use a Sig P320 you should read this

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
but would definitely feel more comfortable carrying the Sig with a manual safety
Some prefer no manual safety. Some do. I like the trigger only safety in my glocks which ive dropped more than id like to admit. I just let it hit the ground. We had our instructor of class tell us if a glock drops, just let it go. He seen a fellow officer try to catch it and it went off because he hit the trigger.

I'm all for people using manual safety and even carrying with one NOT in the chamber. If you or whoever you are protecting dies from either, oh well. There's enough video evidence to show you it can save your life. I wont preach the gospel to you about it.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I have never been a fan of striker fired handguns and have always preferred a hammer!

I only have one striker handgun, and it is a Beretta Nano. The only plus about it is that it has a small decocker on the side. So, I can chamber a round, then decock it. To coc k it, the slide just needs to be slid back about 1/4 of the way, and can be done quickly with the firing hand. I usually keep it cocked, but there are instances when It is stored away that I decock it.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
So avoid the California specials.. The 30 round magazine clips. Too much weight, Yo!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Did you do this test the same way as the guy in the video? If so you have balls of steel.

I figured I would drop it from my deck onto the concrete around my pool.

Disclaimer: I'm full of shit. I pulled the P320 C out of my truck, emptied it, put it in my safe, then put my Sig P229 Legion in my truck.

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
I figured I would drop it from my deck onto the concrete around my pool.

Disclaimer: I'm full of shit. I pulled the P320 C out of my truck, emptied it, put it in my safe, then put my Sig P229 Legion in my truck.

Good call. My 226 Legion is my truck gun. Excellent choice.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I don't think stupidity is the right word if your referring to my posts. You think this guy in the car had his safety on?
If you are going to use an ASP video, I may as well quote him... drawing on a drawn gun is foolish. You can't tell what this guy does in the video, but I imagine he was able to distract or deflect his attack before drawing his weapon. Either that or the robber was a damn fool.
Whether you have a safety or not in this situation, you were already at a huge disadvantage. You may feel a safety slows you down, and if you do, I encourage you to not use one. But as I and others have stated, we train that way... the safety is an added protection that does not come at a cost and does not impede performance.
If you learn to grip your weapon a specific way, and you have a gun that fits your style, you will remove the safety when you grip the weapon, there is no added movement.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
If you are going to use an ASP video, I may as well quote him... drawing on a drawn gun is foolish. You can't tell what this guy does in the video, but I imagine he was able to distract or deflect his attack before drawing his weapon. Either that or the robber was a damn fool.
Whether you have a safety or not in this situation, you were already at a huge disadvantage. You may feel a safety slows you down, and if you do, I encourage you to not use one. But as I and others have stated, we train that way... the safety is an added protection that does not come at a cost and does not impede performance.
If you learn to grip your weapon a specific way, and you have a gun that fits your style, you will remove the safety when you grip the weapon, there is no added movement.
I agree with your last paragraph but when I do super quick holster pulls with my shield (safety on) I'd say 1 out of 25 times I fail to disengage the safety SO it does impede my performance on rare occasions.

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member

I understand your view and respect it but I do not agree.

If I have the ability to remove a flaw from the equation and enhance my chances I'll take it.

Simply train with a firearm that doesn't have a external safety and don't touch the go go switch until absolutely ready to engage.

Blown 89

Established Member
I wonder if he didn't see something wrong with the firearm? Maybe he recognized an unactivated chamber indicator or a downed hammer? An SR9 for instance has a chamber indicator that's visible from across a room.

FWIW, missing the safety is one thing but as for it slowing someone down.....the safety has a 1-2 mm travel at best. It's going to beat the macro movements of your arm by a hefty margin. As far as eliminating a flaw from the equation...you're simply removing one and potentially adding another. It's not like there's a right or wrong answer to this discussion:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Looks like his finger was inside the trigger guard when he pulled the weapon..

LMFAO..I never get tired of that video. That dude kinda sounds like Chris Farley. "I just ****ing shot myself"...dummy is lucky he didn't blow his foot apart or a few little piggies went to market and never came home.

DJAMiller

Established Member
Lots of glock/polymer striker fired guys in here. I don't see the appeal, I'm a DA/SA or 1911 guy myself. I carry a Bulgarian Makarov in DA, safety off, I've carried my full size CZ-75 stainless before in the same fashion, its a bit large and heavy though, especially loaded with 16+1.

Users who are viewing this thread