If you have a MGW shifter, what color handle did you use?

What color MGW handle did you use?

• Short blue

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Long red

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RossSVT

Established Member
Installed the short blue one. But for everyday driving I may change to the longer red for a more comfortable feel.

o4cOb|2a

Wheel Hop 4 Life
Established Member
I went from the PRO 5.0 shifter to the MGW recently (T56). I have both handles but find myself using the blue one daily. I personally felt that the red handle reminded of the throw of my 5.0. Very easy to find gears, with the 5.0 if felt like I had to bring the shifter back and to the right to hit 4th, wereas the MGW its just straight back. When I had my 5.0 I didn't have cobrabob's gasket but to me it was quite loud. The MGW shifter is as quiet as the stock one. In the end its all what you like, I bought the 5.0 back a few months ago and never really liked it too much, so I couldn't wait to try this new shifter. If you like your 5.0 and have no problems with it, I would probably just stick to that (might not be worth the $). I can notice a little shoter shifting all around with the MGW compared to the 5.0. Its just a totally different feel with the MGW. The finish is nice and it feels real durable. Directions are very well writen and easy to follow. I'm very pleased with the outcome with this new shifter, and was the answer to my shifting problems.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Old Stang

Established Member
MGW Shifter

I purchased the shifter with both handles. The instructions were good for the installation and the spanner wrench and allen wrenches were included in the package. I tried both handles and found them very easy to change and stayed in position once locked down.

I found my preference to be the longer red handle. It allows more leverage than the blue and allowed me to locate the shifter closer to me thus reducing the reach to 5th. The shifter is advertised as a short throw. I measured the factory shifter throw from 1st to 2nd from a fixed reference point on the dash. The actual length was 3.875" between gears. With the red handle, the throw length was reduced to 3.125". The blue handle was the shortest throw at 2.875". The advertising is true and you can feel the difference as soon as you try it. Has anybody measured the throw lengths on their aftermarket shifters for comparison to the MGW?

There is no more noise with the MGW unit than the factory shifter and it may be even quieter than the factory unit.

The gates are very precise and the shift from 2nd to 3rd is easy to make. The shift from 4th to 5th seems to be much easier than with the factory shifter. When the shifter is in gear, there is no play in the shifter from right to left. I test drove an 05 over the weekend and the shifter play in gear was significant compared to the MGW unit. As far as notchiness between 1st and 2nd, you can feel it more with the shorter blue handle than the red, so I think it's more a characteristic of the transmission but the shifter can help reduce that feel.

I would buy the MGW again without question. I think George has thought through the engineering of the shifter and has come up with some unique ideas that make the MGW shifter a step above the competition.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
03YellowVenom said:
were the best place to get one and how much? thanks in advance :thumbsup:

we only sell direct so you can order by calling us at 706-793-1770 next week.,

regards
george

www.mgwltd.com

03silverdrop

Established Member
I'm using the blue handle for everyday driving and have no complaints!!! This shifter hands down is a work of art!!! Cudos to the guys at MGW!!!

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
i have the steeda tri ax right now and can't stand it i am going to switch to the mgw and try it out i know i want the short blue but i don't know if i should buy the longer red one as well what do you guys think also does mgw ever do group buys on the shifter

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I am still up in the air as far as shifters go, but I will most likely get a MGW once I have some cash in my pocket again. :(

Old Stang

Established Member
MGW Shifter

For not much additional expense, you can have both. I would recommend that you try both, which is what I did. Drive with each handle long enough to get a feel for its characteristics. I started with the red, then tried the blue and then switched back to the red. I think you'll know which you're better suited to as soon as you switch back and forth. The shifter throw is 1/4" shorter with the blue than the red, which to me, doesn't feel like a lot. The red gives a bit more leverage and makes the routine shifting more enjoyable. The MGW is a good unit. I think you'll be happy with your decision.

2kbill

Established Member
My advice is to get both the red and blue handle. I ended up using the red one, the extra length brings the knob closer.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread