If voltage issues w/ BAP cars = Lean, & Possible Boom?

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
If a boost-a-pump'd car run into voltage issues while under full load, will it go lean, and possibly hurt the engine?

What about the GT pumps. Will the car still go lean too should voltage issues arise while under full load? Is this GT pump set-up better for safety in such instances?

I read a post or two on that in the other threads, so I began to wonder about it. Please discuss.

Thanks in an advance if I can get some constructive answers.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
If a boost-a-pump'd car run into voltage issues while under full load, will it go lean, and possibly hurt the engine? What about the GT pumps. Will the car still go lean too should voltage issues arise while under full load? Is this GT pump set-up better for safety in such instances? I read a post or two on that in the other threads, so I began to wonder about it.
I also read about this in another thread today. These are good questions and an area of concern. Hopefully others will post that have more experience with the issue.

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
I also read about this in another thread today. These are good questions and an area of concern. Hopefully others will post that have more experience with the issue.

JMProductions,

Yeah, I agree. I figured it would make for my good first Engine/Tuning thread that I start.

I'm waiting to start the good :read:

Thanks. :beer:

D-Con

...Rather have a Buick?
Established Member
I thought I read that the BAP would help maintain a constant voltage at the pump if there was a voltage upset with the charging system, for instance. Even if the BAP is set at zero.

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I thought I read that the BAP would help maintain a constant voltage at the pump if there was a voltage upset with the charging system, for instance. Even if the BAP is set at zero.
Well they claim that it regulates voltage. Problem is if voltage drops, it may be able to step up and compensate but if the power (amps) isn't there to push the pumps, it's an act of futility. My guess is that the problem could occur with or without the BAP, maybe the BAP just compounds the situation.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Well they claim that it regulates voltage. Problem is if voltage drops, it may be able to step up and compensate but if the power (amps) isn't there to push the pumps, it's an act of futility. My guess is that the problem could occur with or without the BAP, maybe the BAP just compounds the situation.

+1

A voltage issue would effect you if you have the BAP, GT pumps, stock pumps, etc, etc.

-Jeff

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
I believe Hermann did a thread about this....

I think I read that too. It was about a bad alternator and its voltage problem up in the higher RPMs affecting the lean condition.

I am more wondering which set up will flow more at a given voltage. I think the GT pumps will flow more at lower voltage levels than the stock pumps because a BAP is needed to drive up the voltage on them for more flow.

GT Pumps will flow xxx GPH at 12V
Stock Pumps w/ BAP flow at lower xxx GPH at 12V

Am I not mistakened here?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I think the GT pumps will flow more at lower voltage levels than the stock pumps because a BAP is needed to drive up the voltage on them for more flow.
That's exactly right. GT pumps and a dual FPDM harness kit is probably the best setup.

Last edited:

D-Con

...Rather have a Buick?
Established Member
I don't think it matters, a watt is a watt, and it will take the same amount of power to pump a given amount of fuel (VxA=Watt). As the voltage may drop, the BAP will draw more amps, as was said to a point of futility (but at least if it works like I think in a more stable manner by regulating a constant voltage).

But, the same goes without the BAP, the FPDM will try to give more power to the pumps, meaning again, as voltage drops amperage will go up to try maintaining enough fuel.

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
If you are referring to not getting enough voltage/output to your fuel pumps regardless if you are running a bap or not then your car will cutout when under a load at wot. Example, you'll hit full duty cycle quicker and it should feel something like a rev limiter at like 5 grand or whatever given rpm it does it at. As far as it going lean and blowing up, anything is possible so if you do so happen to experience this I would imagine that the driver would take it easy until the problem is fixed. This is based off of my experience and the alternator was on its way out.

Users who are viewing this thread