Idling issues since tune!!! Help!!!!

gixxer1kr

Established Member
Since i had my 04 gt tuned by a very reputable tuner i have idling issues, itll drop real low sometimes and shoot back up to normal idle and once in a while stall. Went back and now it seems like the idle hangs a bit then goes to normal. Then sometimes itll hang, drop low and then back up, or drop to normal raise a lil and back to normal. I suggested Iac and he says no. My tps sensor voltage never drops below 1volt or fluctuates when this happens.He says maybe a sticky o2 sensor. Car has a centri blower,cams,power pipe,snow stage 1 meth kit and all the bolt ons. When on the dyno it need more fuel so we thru in a KB bap.And the mass a/f was pegging. So we added an Sct 2600. These 2 things and the tune were the only changes. Was idling fine b4. Cars runs baddass except for the idle issue.Help and Ideas!!!!!Thanks guys..

Last edited:

horspla2000

Established Member
Minor issues such as this can be from the tune for sure. I have had this happen on a few different cars. Assuming all the mechanical items are working properly, ask you tuner to tweak the idle and startup portions of the tune and see if you can make it better. It may be something you just have to live w due to the many aftermarket parts not working 100% perfect together.

gixxer1kr

Established Member
Yeah kinda what I was thinking. Only weird thing is it didn't do it before the tune but it was rich until the tune. Now that the car is tuned right it brought it out. I figured it woulda stayed the same or better.

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
I too have a idling problem. It will go from 800 to 1200 rpm during
idling, but it does not stall out. I was told it may be my ported
throttlebody. Still have not figured it out.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
There's a lot it could be. I think mine may be tuned related.

from what you are describing- it sounds like the maf doesn't like where it at. is this slot style or housed style? try rotating the maf if you can in small increments and see if it clears up.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
If you have a way to datalog.. and post up a .csv file.. even perhaps log A/F that would be about 1000x easier to diagnose what the engine was doing...

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
I had this issue on my 03. My tuner made it better but never perfect. Once I began a blower swap we found nearly a quart of oil in the TB and even in the filter. Turns out my motor was sick to begin with and the mods took it over the top and created too much blow by. 90lbs of pressure in #6 and 7. The MAF couldn't even breathe. By by terminator..... I am sure your isn't that serious but it wouldnt hurt to put ur hand up in the intake just to be sure the MaF housing is clean... Just a simple check before digging in too deep.

bakers4v4_6

Established Member
Ive also run into the same issue after tuning my car prolly by one of the best tuners in the state of michigan but mine only seems to do it when i come to a stop the rpms will drop real low and jump back up or stall if i dont rev it up but once at an idle it idles fine since the car is getting cams this winter and retuned i just dealt with it the few times I actually got to drive it this year

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
I'd say the SCT 2600 is too big for your power level and you have lost the low end resolution, so the idle is searching. Might be O2 sensors; replace with Motorcraft, Denso or NGK/NTK units...not Bosch.

gixxer1kr

Established Member
99 my tuner did say it could be a sticking 02 sensor. But whenever we would go for a test run qnd data log it would be ok. Should just change all 4 or do the fronts then the backs or what. Tps and iac crossed my mind too.

gixxer1kr

Established Member
Haven't driven it in a while. Broke my leg on my dirttbike but had my girl take me for a ride. It don't do it till engine is fully hot. And happens when coming to a stop with the clutch in. But only when engine is at optimal operating temp.

gixxer1kr

Established Member
Ive also run into the same issue after tuning my car prolly by one of the best tuners in the state of michigan but mine only seems to do it when i come to a stop the rpms will drop real low and jump back up or stall if i dont rev it up but once at an idle it idles fine since the car is getting cams this winter and retuned i just dealt with it the few times I actually got to drive it this year

Exactly what I'm dealing with. But its OK till my car heats up all the way.

MethosSVT

Established Member
Haven't driven it in a while. Broke my leg on my dirttbike but had my girl take me for a ride. It don't do it till engine is fully hot. And happens when coming to a stop with the clutch in. But only when engine is at optimal operating temp.

same thing happens to me, only when I have the clutch in :S

Don 95Vert

Established Member
They probably already did this, but they need to log to make sure idle air is where it should be - the PCM does correct this, but within pretty narrow limits. There is a way to log this and properly adjust it. Next, if this is all OK, they need to adjust the dashpot settings - usually you don't have to touch these, but when you start adding parts you do have to play with them to get them right. Not difficult.

The best answer is to start tuning yourselves so YOU can do all this minor tweaking to get factory drivability back. Not difficult at all.

STREETREBEL

Established Member
They probably already did this, but they need to log to make sure idle air is where it should be - the PCM does correct this, but within pretty narrow limits. There is a way to log this and properly adjust it. Next, if this is all OK, they need to adjust the dashpot settings - usually you don't have to touch these, but when you start adding parts you do have to play with them to get them right. Not difficult.

The best answer is to start tuning yourselves so YOU can do all this minor tweaking to get factory drivability back. Not difficult at all.

Which software do you recommend?

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member

^^ Listen to this man!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread