Idler pullies that have failed?

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
Hey guys, I searched and couldn't really find the info I wanted.
For those of you that have had stock idler pullies fail how many of you have had pullies other than the lowest one?
Those with experience please step in. I am planning on getting the 3 to be safe but I just wanted to see anyways.
Later,
Ryan.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
sambandit said:
That's the only one I have ever seen blow up.....
Ditto. And I believe at least one of the ones I saw reported here had the stock lower. I don't have a link to that thread unfortunately so I can't be 100% sure.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I lost one up top and one below with the stock lower and 2.8" upper. I went to the BF idlers, and it has been 20K with no pulley problems since.

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
No I agree. It is better anyways because I am keeping all the stock parts from the car. I want to restore it to stock in the future so having all the factory parts in perfect shape is a plus.

04torchred

Established Member
You might be okay with only having an upper. I mean it is cheap insurance, but the upper isn't spinning anything else faster except for the blower rotors. I just ordered some metco 90mm idlers, but I think I might have been chancing running an 8lb with stock lower idler. Hopefully I will see them in 7-14 days. How is the car running?

Juiced-03

Established Member
I had the stock upper idler blow up, but I'm pretty sure it was due to a seized bearing.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Linn@Amazon said:
it cant hurt and if you dont keep listening for any chirping..that can be a sign that a bearing is failing

I totally agree. Whenever I would hear a chirping pulley, that usually meant I had less than a couple days before it would completely seize up. I always keep a spare with me on road trips!

dougwg

Established Member
This is only for BilletFlow Idler Pulleys!

the only one that adds belt wrap is the upper snub idler

the 2 just below that are mainly there for looks although there is a benefit of less parasitic hp loss because of the larger size and better bearings

the lower most idler replaces the stock stamped steel idlers that have been known to explode.

This is what I tell EVERYONE...not sure what other vendors tell their customers

Last edited:

bullitt2200

Established Member
My lower came apart last night racing a Ram Air TA. The pulley only cost $18 but the dam belt cost $45. At least I still won on motor.

Users who are viewing this thread