Idler bearing life

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Billet flow idler bearing (NTN) only made it about 15k miles before they were fairly loose. This seems low, but the stock idlers where shot at only 35k. Seems like a short life span either way. I run the factory lower pulley.

I replaced with NSK 6203ZZ on amazon at about $10 each. You may want to check yours...

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
I have always considered the bearings to be expendables. I just replace them every few years. Or to extend the TBR get double bearing idlers from Metco.

joshcarp81

Established Member
this is funny. I just replaced mine Tuesday before heading to a car show.
as a precautionary I replaced all bearings in a set of division x idler I bought second hand. bought em from vxb where I've bought bearings before. didn't even make it 400 miles before the three left on the car failed and started slinging grease out of my heat extractor holes and onto my windshield! took awhile to figure out where it was coming from. replaced them with nachi brand ones that are suppose to be a lot better.....

we'll see about that!

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I've noticed over the years on various cars that the idler bearings are wear items and need to be replaced. Also avoid cheap auto parts store bearings as they seem to hardly last at all. I always try and get a decent name brand bearing if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread