idle screw on the throttle body

jakesspv6

Established Member
So I've been having issues with my idle hanging around 2k rpms after acceleration and have been trying to figure out the problem. I have cleaned the MAF, IAC, and TPS. while I was checking all of the vacuum lines I noticed that the idle screw in the throttle was missing. Maybe it fell out one day and I never noticed, but I believe it is the reason for my hanging idle. I wanted to see if anyone knew the dimensions of the screw or possibly how and where I could get a replacement?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
You probably could get a replacement screw from about any junkyard Mustang of a similar vintage, just guessing.

To set it, with the engine idling, you will need to datalog the ISC_Duty_Cycle and VERY SLOWLY turn the screw until the duty cycle is settled at about 30-35%.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
With the car running disconnect the iac and set that screw so the car idles between 625-700. Then you need to adjust the tps so the voltage is close to .98..... Make sure u you use the ground wire going to the tps, if you ground it somewhere on the car you will get a different reading.

Reconnect the IAC, start the car up and let it idle for a while and watch the IAC duty like stated above also ISC integrator should be close to zero or even a little negative

CzchMex

Established Member
I don't think a missing throttle screw will cause a hanging idle. Possibly a surging idle. The screw keeps the blade open just enough. No screw means it could close further letting the only air in through the IAC.

I had a horrible hanging idle problem as well and found out it was bad O-rings in the shift of the IMRCs. Not sure if you are deleted at all. But I'm currently fixing that problem. A smoke test or a can of carb cleaner can identify that leak real fast.

Hope this helps if the screw does not

jakesspv6

Established Member
I sent my throttle body back to accufab since they told me that would replace the screw and re calibrate it. If the idle doesn't fix I will look into that. thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread